Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just replaced the block heater on my 06 DC and thought I would post a few pics and description. I understand the 2000V8 is different so I do not know exactly what years this will apply to.
You will find it easiest if you have the truck up on stands. Make sure you have enough rad fluid(6L) and the part. Included in my box were the block heater, lube for the seal and zip ties. The block heater is on the passenger side of the block behind the engine mount. All pictures posted from under the truck are looking forward.
1) Unplug the old block heater cord.
2) Drain fluid from system by undoing the screw on the plug thereby loosening the clamp inside the block. You will see in the picture that my plug has a slotted/allen screw on it but I understand some have a bolt. Note the 'nut' shape of the entire body of the heater, it is only needed if the heater is seized as it is not threaded into the block.
3) When the fluid level is low enough undo the screw/bolt completely and remove the block heater. It should only take a little wiggling and the right position and it will come out.
4) Lube the washer on the new heater and insert carefully into the block.
5) Tighten the screw/bolt and plug in the new cord.
6) Add antifreeze (super long life/long life) and run to circulate. Top up fluid as needed and check for leaks from block heater.
That's it. Really quite simple if you are at all mechanically inclined.
I drained about 6L/1.5 gallons from the plug. There may be an easier way but with the level of the rad hoses I thought it would be easier to drain it from the plug with less waste of fluid.
Posted are pictures of the part number/box, what is in the box and several before and after pictures.
Hope this helps.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks a lot man. I was wondering if it was a thread in, or sealed with cilicone or an o-ring. Your pics and description were awesome. Really appreciate it! Just joined today cause of it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Anyone know the size of o-ring on that block heater? I would rather buy the o-ring and not the whole block heater. thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thank you so much! I've been searching the web for about 9 months looking for a Tundra block heater DIY. This is the ONLY useful thread I've found. One question...when tightening the screw/bolt, is there a specific torque you're looking for?

·
7,925 Posts
Excellent write-up.

Great details.

Great pictures.

Points sent.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts