Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

A few weeks ago I received a phone call from the dealer that I bought my truck ('08) from (Toyota Escondido) letting me know my truck was up for the recall. I informed them that I was aware of the recall and due to what I have read in here and the lack of actual issues with the Tundra, I would pass. I also notified them that if I was interested, I would never let the hacks at that shop ever touch my vehicle again. She was curious about the last statement and actually wrote down my complaints to forward to her manager. Once that was done, she went ahead and said, "Well, just to let you know, the DMV will not let you register your truck unless we perform the recall service on your truck." This is the first I have ever heard of this, with any manufacturer recall.

The next day I went in and talked to a co-worker who owns an 09 Camry. I told her what was mentioned to me and she just laughed. She then stated, "I didn't do the recall and I just registered my car last week."

Has anyone heard of this? Toyota Escondido has a notorious reputation for being shady in their business practices and I'd like to see if this is happening with other dealers. My registration is not due until December however; I think I may pay in advance just to see what happens and will update you all when the time comes.

Thanks.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
uh...the DMV's from any state have no way of knowing if its done or not....so she's full of BS. i can see some states like weirdo cali being such sticklers as to have inspection stations for state safety inspections demand proof of the recall in order to pass a safety inspection but that would be hard to really implement too...just a bluff to try to get u in there.

·
Registered
56 Posts
sounds fishy to me. is toyota required to contact DVM after every vehicle is repaired in each state? sounds like your dealer is just interested in the warranty work...just my .02 .Like DMV has nothing better to do than keep track of all recalls. keep us posted and best of luck.

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts
I seriously doubt that this is true. I'm with Barney how in the world would the dmv be able to keep up with recalls and why would they want to.

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
Strictly BS from the dealer!! There is no way that DMV's are going to spend the money required to track recalls even if they could. :argue:

·
Registered
819 Posts
Sounds expensive if the DMV tracked all recalls and if they were done. I would past the government to waste our tax $$$ on some bull like that.

·
Premium Member
349 Posts
I just paid my registration in May and still haven't had the recall done. My 2011 sticker is on the truck.

I'm up in the Sacramento area.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Absolute nonsense, it's a shame that Toyota is willing to give a franchise to anyone that has the money. At the end of the day Toyota only cares that the money is coming in, irrelevant of the reputation "their" dealers give them. They (Toyota) fail to realize that the dealers reflect on corporate, most people don't even put 2+2 together and realize that the dealers are independently owned.

·
Registered
251 Posts
At the end of the day Toyota only cares that the money is coming in, irrelevant of the reputation "their" dealers give them. They (Toyota) fail to realize that the dealers reflect on corporate,
You may think this but I can tell you it isn't true. Toyota can be very quick to crawl up a dealer's back side for mistreating customers. Bad marks on the Toyota customer surveys (the ones mailed to Toyota) can often have the dealer calling the customer and begging for a chance to square accounts - as Toyota is hanging a sword over the dealer's head until it's done.

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
Hey everyone,

A few weeks ago I received a phone call from the dealer that I bought my truck ('08) from (Toyota Escondido) letting me know my truck was up for the recall. I informed them that I was aware of the recall and due to what I have read in here and the lack of actual issues with the Tundra, I would pass. I also notified them that if I was interested, I would never let the hacks at that shop ever touch my vehicle again. She was curious about the last statement and actually wrote down my complaints to forward to her manager. Once that was done, she went ahead and said, "Well, just to let you know, the DMV will not let you register your truck unless we perform the recall service on your truck." This is the first I have ever heard of this, with any manufacturer recall.

The next day I went in and talked to a co-worker who owns an 09 Camry. I told her what was mentioned to me and she just laughed. She then stated, "I didn't do the recall and I just registered my car last week."

Has anyone heard of this? Toyota Escondido has a notorious reputation for being shady in their business practices and I'd like to see if this is happening with other dealers. My registration is not due until December however; I think I may pay in advance just to see what happens and will update you all when the time comes.

Thanks.
thats a first for me... cali has some really sucky car laws though,,:cool:

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
You may think this but I can tell you it isn't true. Toyota can be very quick to crawl up a dealer's back side for mistreating customers. Bad marks on the Toyota customer surveys (the ones mailed to Toyota) can often have the dealer calling the customer and begging for a chance to square accounts - as Toyota is hanging a sword over the dealer's head until it's done.
yes, you are right,,, if you ever have a problem call the number,, you will get help..

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
i just registered my truck this month. haven't taken it to get it "fixed" yet. i dont really plan to, since im not having issues with it. it sounds more like that dealership is being shady.
agree...:td::td::td::td:

not all of us are, but there is many of them!! I worked for one in orlando for a short time,, holy crap... they were charging customers a $875 doc fee. on a new or used car. I couldn't believe anyone would buy a car from there.. but they did.. a lot of people did.. stupid...

·
Premium Member
846 Posts
I paid for my reg. 3 weeks before going in for the "shim and trim" and then a replacement pedal. DMV can stop your reg if you have too many outstanding tickets or lapsed insurance or anything else they feel is vehicle related that makes them more money. They dont have a clue about the work done to your vehicle for recalls or other wise. You have been lied to by a dishonest dealer employee!

·
Premium Member
1,355 Posts
Recalls are federal not state and in NY you will do a recall or after 3 notifacations they will not register. Other states have same laws. Dealer may not have been full of bs.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts