Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 07 Doublecab and was wondering if i put a CAI and full exhaust system on it if that would help with mpg. I am also putting a tonneau cover on it. Has anyone used the unichip and if so does that help? I have read other threads and understand what i should expect on normal driving mpgs.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
u aint gonna do nothing to help it. its a big truck not a yaris....even bed covers dont do much if anything anymore...engineers already took care of cab design to keep drag down.... and of course the manufacturer already did what thhey could to make it as best as it can be, they had to in order to even sell some of them haha

·
Registered
397 Posts
If you do get that you will probably end up spending more for gas so you can hear that lovely sound your truck will make now with your new CAI & cat back exhaust :D.

·
Registered
189 Posts
You will get a just little power/mileage from an exhaust. A cold air intake does little to nothing for power or mileage. The unichip will not help anything but lighten wallet. Longtubes will gain you some power, but make your fuel mileage go down. Keep in mind that these are computer controlled trucks with tight emissions requirements so the obvious things for power/mileage on old hot rods are not always true today for modern stuff.

That's my experience.

·
Registered
163 Posts
You will get a just little power/mileage from an exhaust. A cold air intake does little to nothing for power or mileage. The unichip will not help anything but lighten wallet. Longtubes will gain you some power, but make your fuel mileage go down. Keep in mind that these are computer controlled trucks with tight emissions requirements so the obvious things for power/mileage on old hot rods are not always true today for modern stuff.

That's my experience.

I agree on the Unichip.... Mine made my fuel mileage worse, of course it never worked right either....

·
Don't argue with an insomniac.
5,568 Posts
I find my mileage is much better if I leave my truck at home and take the motorbike to work. Best mileage on a regular basis (pretty much driving like a grandma) is about 16.5 - 17 MPG highway. Usual winter mileage 15.3 MPG. Towing that drops to about 10 MPG. Nothing I've read would support any other thing to improve mileage. Well, maybe if I went back to stock tires and inflated to max, but otherwise. . . NOPE.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Yep after market parts suck, bed covers never did anything to help with mileage and a CAI and exhaust systems just make you push the throttle more because it sounds so good. I agree with Rut keep your foot off the gas and try and keep the RPMs below 2k and you will be fine.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Some will, most won't - the majority of parts are designed for more flow and noise, but really don't do much for fuel economy because of the way this truck's engine management is set up in the first place. An exhaust will only help you if the pipe diameter isn't bigger than stock in order to maintain exhaust gas velocity. The same holds true for intake systems, as they interact with the rest of the engine intake setup and how it's tuned. Some intakes will actually hurt mpgs due to the way they're designed. When you reduce intake air restriction, it almost always will help you in the upper rpms only which doesn't do squat for mpgs. I personally refuse to spend $300+ on an intake when I can get similar results from modifying my own (which I did :D )

The best thing you can do for MPGs is drive slower and more consistent, keep the tire pressure up and make sure your air filter is clean.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Thumbster, If you don't mind me asking, what mods did you do to your OEM Intake?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts