Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been saving for the Donahoe Coilovers and the AAL for my 06 Tundra Dcab 4x4 and am getting pretty close. My goal is to mostly level but also raise the truck a little.

I mainly drive this truck on the street, but also go on some very rough forest service roads here in Oregon to get to our awesome cascade mountains that me and my friends like to climb (Yes, I am one of those stupid climbers that climb Mt Hood here in Oregon! You might have seen our local mountain on the news a few times this winter...). :eek:

Anyway, do I have to install a diff drop? If I just put the heavier duty clamps that some people have talked about on my CV Boots will that suffice?

Thanks.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I would just order what you saved up for...and drive around for awhile. Just get the drop when you can. Its not mandatory but it helps.Its something that I need to do BAD, but always seem to spend my money on other things.

·
Registered
299 Posts
With the money that you are spending on the donahoes, the diff drop is minimal($25). You don't have have to do it but it is too easy and cheap not to. It also depends on how high you are going to set coilovers.

·
Registered
34 Posts
For 20-30 bucks, which is a very small percentage increase in your budget for your donahoes, it is definitely worth it even if you are lifting it 1.5" or so. Anything that alleviates the new CV angles after lifting is a good thing.:tu:

·
Premium Member
13,116 Posts
Anyway, do I have to install a diff drop?
As Al Unser once said, "you don't HAVE to do anything except die."

However, a diff drop will only set you back about $30 and that is a helluva lot cheaper than replacing CV boots (or joints!)

The clamps can only do so much. Get the drop.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replys. I will get the diff drop. The money was not the issue. I know a lot of you guys love to put aftermarket items on your trucks, but I have always liked to keep mine as stock as possible unless it will really improve the truck.

Anyway, thanks again. And go Ducks in March Madness!!!!!:D

·
Registered
189 Posts
I hear it takes awhile to do...anyone confirm? What about skid clearances?
It has been a while since I did a diff drop but after taking off the skid plates I don't remember it taking very long at all to do and that was the first one I did.

·
Premium Member
13,116 Posts
Did your diff. touch your skidplate after? Im kinda worried cus mine is already bent bad.
Mine did. But fortunately, my installer had some longer bolts that he used to reattach the plate. Frankly, I think they ought to include longer skidplate bolts in the DD kits.

·
Registered
919 Posts
It takes about 20min. to put diff drop in. 2 or 3 bolts and a jack to support the diff while you put the spacers and longer bolts in.

Very easy!

·
Registered
34 Posts
the tough part for me was actually getting the stock Diff. bolts off....after that it was a breeze. I ordered from toytec and they provided me with extra long bolts for the skidplate...no problems at all

·
Registered
76 Posts
i'm with tundrainorange it only takes less then twenty minutes to put in a diff drop my kit came with longer bolts for the skid plate it's worth the money definitely cheaper than replacing cv boots or axles

1 - 14 of 14 Posts