Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Supportive Supporter
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do I have to many miles to do a tranny flush?
I did the whole transmission fluid flush and refill at about 60K miles....I now have 150K miles and the trans has never needed a drop added....but I've been thinking I should flush it again.....or do I? :phone:
I have heard horror stories in the past about someone changing the trans fluid on a high milage unit only to have it fail....almost like the old fluid was keeping the tranny together somehow and the new fluid made it fail.

What do you guys think?

Thanks! :tu:

·
Registered
247 Posts
There are a few ways to do a tranny flush. One way is to drain out fluid, re-fill, run through the gears, then drain and re-fill again. Doing this a few times to remove as much of the old fluid as possible.

Another way is to use a pressurized system to pull/push the fluid out of the tranny then push in the new fluid. This is the where you start hearing horror stories on blowing apart perfectly good tranny's after getting the fluid changed.

·
Registered
917 Posts
There are a few ways to do a tranny flush. One way is to drain out fluid, re-fill, run through the gears, then drain and re-fill again. Doing this a few times to remove as much of the old fluid as possible.

QUOTE]

:eek: No NO No NO....... Do this at idle and in park. Remove one of the tranny cooling lines that goes to the radiator. Place the line in a large container start the truck and it will start to pump. I place a mark in my container at 14 quarts and I drained 14 out while pouring in back in. Do not go through the gear or rev it up you asking for trouble. My son is a Toyota tech at Do this at idle and in park. :wave:

·
Supportive Supporter
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Another way is to use a pressurized system to pull/push the fluid out of the tranny then push in the new fluid. This is the where you start hearing horror stories on blowing apart perfectly good tranny's after getting the fluid changed.
That's good to know....thanks.

I did the "pull the tranny cooler line, drain and refill" to the tune of about 20 quarts when I did this back at 60K miles. I guess I can do it again now at 150K miles....I hope!! :scared:

·
Registered
176 Posts
If I remember correctly, you have a tranny dipstick and can check the fluid level unlike 05+.

Pull the drain plug on the tranny and fill with the correct amount of fluid each oil change. This is a "safe" way of exchanging the fluid without worrying too much :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
If I remember correctly, you have a tranny dipstick and can check the fluid level unlike 05+.

Pull the drain plug on the tranny and fill with the correct amount of fluid each oil change. This is a "safe" way of exchanging the fluid without worrying too much :)
Approx. how much will drain out of an '04 4.7L? I have 49k, and I think this is a good way of doing it. I.E., I plan on one drain & fill(through the dipstick) every other oil change(once a year for me).
Thanks.

EDIT--Sorry for the hijack with my first post.

·
Registered
176 Posts
It's been a long time since I've done it, but I think I saw something on the forums here that says 4 qts for a "refill". I would add 2 qts and check level. I'm sure someone has a definite answer though.
If you're only doing oil changes once a year, you may want to do the tranny drain/fill every 5K or so.

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
That's good to know....thanks.

I did the "pull the tranny cooler line, drain and refill" to the tune of about 20 quarts when I did this back at 60K miles. I guess I can do it again now at 150K miles....I hope!! :scared:
I have used this technique twice. The latest was at 117K with no ill effects. I also added an inline Magnefine filter which helps to keep the fluid clean.

This is a good opportunity to go synthetic if you haven't already. I highly recommend the synthetic fluid and although expensive you won't regret it.

·
Supportive Supporter
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This is a good opportunity to go synthetic if you haven't already. I highly recommend the synthetic fluid and although expensive you won't regret it.
When I did this a couple of years ago....there wasn't a synthetic replacment for the stock transmission fluid. What are you using?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I talked to a local shop a while back and they said that it is a terrible idea to do a tranny flush. They don't even do them at all. It wasn't just a small shop but a pretty established place with several locations. I'm sure there are some that are fine and others that go bad, but they don't risk it.

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
When I did this a couple of years ago....there wasn't a synthetic replacment for the stock transmission fluid. What are you using?
That's an excellent question Gryme. Since yours is an '04 which uses Toyota Type T-IV ATF you may not have a synthetic option. From what I've read on other Toyota forums the Toyota T-IV ATF is a unique and proprietary Toyota formulation. This may or may not be true and I'm no chemist so I can't say.

You might try contacting the R&D departments of Mobil, Amsoil, Redline or Royal Purple and get their input on such a critical decision that could affect whether your transmission live or dies. When in doubt use the Toyota T-IV ATF and be safe.

The important thing is that you're performing what many believe to be an essential maintenance on such an expensive to replace driveline component. Considering the heat and stress that clutches, gear sets, bearings and other internals are subjected to it just makes practical sense to keep this life blood in peak condition.

A transmission replacement on my '01 would be nearly half the value of the truck so I've become obsessive about keeping up with transmission maintenance.

My '01 uses Dexron III for which there are many alternative synthetics available. I use Royal Purple Max ATF, quite pricey but the engineer at Royal Purple told me that 90K is a reasonable drain interval for RP Max ATF under normal operating conditions. I'm not sure I agree with that number and change mine at 30K intervals. Frequent towing is a whole new maintenance schedule though.

Good luck and let us know if you find any viable alternative synthetic ATFs for Toyota Type T-IV.

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
I talked to a local shop a while back and they said that it is a terrible idea to do a tranny flush. They don't even do them at all. It wasn't just a small shop but a pretty established place with several locations. I'm sure there are some that are fine and others that go bad, but they don't risk it.
My local Toyota dealer service rep told me that they tried the flush procedure but had bad luck and thus discontinued the service.

I agree that power flush procedures are risky. There are too many variables involved. Namely, is the equipment in proper operating condition, is there residual contaminated fluid (along with metal detritus) remaining in the machine, excessive pressure may damage seals and most important is the dufus factor. The "technician" operating the machine may wear other hats i.e. maybe he does front end alignments as his specialty and fills in free time performing other duties. Hey Jake when you finish hammering that tie rod end how about flushing this tranny for me....

However doing your own flush using a simple and straightforward DIY procedure for early generation 1 Tundras equipped with dipsticks is doable for the novice. The non dipstick equipped Tundras is a different kettle of fish. There are several old threads on the subject outlining the procedure if you do a search. If you're not detail oriented I don't recommend taking on this DIY project.

·
Registered
68 Posts
when I talked to my dealership i inquired about the stamp on the tranny dipstick saying it was lifetime fluid, the tech told me it was accurate and that while i COULD do a flush it was not needed... is this true???

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
That's an excellent question Gryme. Since yours is an '04 which uses Toyota Type T-IV ATF you may not have a synthetic option. From what I've read on other Toyota forums the Toyota T-IV ATF is a unique and proprietary Toyota formulation. This may or may not be true and I'm no chemist so I can't say.

You might try contacting the R&D departments of Mobil, Amsoil, Redline or Royal Purple and get their input on such a critical decision that could affect whether your transmission live or dies. When in doubt use the Toyota T-IV ATF and be safe.

The important thing is that you're performing what many believe to be an essential maintenance on such an expensive to replace driveline component. Considering the heat and stress that clutches, gear sets, bearings and other internals are subjected to it just makes practical sense to keep this life blood in peak condition.

A transmission replacement on my '01 would be nearly half the value of the truck so I've become obsessive about keeping up with transmission maintenance.

My '01 uses Dexron III for which there are many alternative synthetics available. I use Royal Purple Max ATF, quite pricey but the engineer at Royal Purple told me that 90K is a reasonable drain interval for RP Max ATF under normal operating conditions. I'm not sure I agree with that number and change mine at 30K intervals. Frequent towing is a whole new maintenance schedule though.

Good luck and let us know if you find any viable alternative synthetic ATFs for Toyota Type T-IV.
I recently did a D/R on my Sienna and Corolla. Both use T-IV, and for T-IV I've always felt more comfortable using toyota stuff. Others look for Mobil 3309, but from what I've read this is the EXACT same stuff that Toyota sells. This is not fully synthetic.

But in the past few days, I've researched and found MANY people using the Amsoil ATF as a replacement for T-IV with great results. I will be ordering a case of Amsoil for future use.
AMSOIL - Synthetic Universal Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF)
For that matter, Amsoil also has a WS replacement now.

It is all much easier for my '01 Tundra. Did a flush(using tranny cooler line) with Mobil1 at 30k, then D/R every 30k.

For people trusting the 'lifetime fluid' marking on their tranny dipstick, good luck. Especially T-IV stuff, it's so thin I really don't trust it. Heck, even at 30k intervals it comes out black(some say the color isn't a problem for T-IV). If you simply include a D/R as part of your 30k maintenance, it can't hurt. And Toyota sells the stuff for $4.83, so it cost you only $20. Cheap insurance if you ask me.

/Mike

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
I recently did a D/R on my Sienna and Corolla. Both use T-IV, and for T-IV I've always felt more comfortable using toyota stuff. Others look for Mobil 3309, but from what I've read this is the EXACT same stuff that Toyota sells. This is not fully synthetic.

But in the past few days, I've researched and found MANY people using the Amsoil ATF as a replacement for T-IV with great results. I will be ordering a case of Amsoil for future use.
AMSOIL - Synthetic Universal Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF)
For that matter, Amsoil also has a WS replacement now.

It is all much easier for my '01 Tundra. Did a flush(using tranny cooler line) with Mobil1 at 30k, then D/R every 30k.

For people trusting the 'lifetime fluid' marking on their tranny dipstick, good luck. Especially T-IV stuff, it's so thin I really don't trust it. Heck, even at 30k intervals it comes out black(some say the color isn't a problem for T-IV). If you simply include a D/R as part of your 30k maintenance, it can't hurt. And Toyota sells the stuff for $4.83, so it cost you only $20. Cheap insurance if you ask me.

/Mike
Thanks for your research on this subject Mike. Surely it will be of great interest to the T-IV crowd.

I always find it interesting that proprietary fluids are conveniently in the best interest of insuring that the customer doesn't stray from the dealership service department. Who wants to take such a gamble on their investment? On the other hand T-IV could very well be unique and formulated to Toyota's specifications but the fear factor is introduced nonetheless.

Toyota has always been very picky about their oem replacement parts so it would stand to reason that their fluid replacement products would be no different.

Most manufacturers market ATF, antifreeze, brake fluid and so on under their own trade name for those who just have to keep their equipment original and I have no argument against them for doing so. I insist on using Toyota antifreeze not so much because of brand loyalty but for the quality of the product. Better safe than sorry.

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
I take mine to the dealer for a transmission flush every 40K. pay $125 each time. I'm very picky and don't want lose another transmission because of neglect. Tundra transmission seems much better right after the flush. I do a lot of city driving back and forth to college so I need to have my transmission running at its best. If I get 200K out of my original transmission then I'll be glad with that. My pap gave me his 94 ford taurus with 117k and the transmission was shot. He never changed the transmission fluid or had it flushed. Luckily the car got rear ended and that was the last of that taurus. Was a fun beater college car while it lasted. Also ford had a common problem with transmissions failing on the Taurus's back then.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts