Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan on buying one soon just have been busy and running short on time. I'll potentially be hauling 3 quads + gear on the trailer (4000 pounds or so) on the 10' DC with tow/haul package if safe to do so. So what do you guys think? We've hauled the 6500lb boat/trailer on short distances with minor hills, we probably wont hit anything too long or over 8%

·
Registered
54 Posts
You shouldn't need a brake controller for what you are describing. Just remember that you are towing and drive accordingly.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I plan on buying one soon just have been busy and running short on time. I'll potentially be hauling 3 quads + gear on the trailer (4000 pounds or so) on the 10' DC with tow/haul package if safe to do so. So what do you guys think? We've hauled the 6500lb boat/trailer on short distances with minor hills, we probably wont hit anything too long or over 8%
Just remember that you are putting a lot of stress on your truck's brakes. The added 4K pounds has to come to a stop and it will take a while. Tundras have good brakes but there is a limit.

Leave plenty of room ahead of your truck and drive slowly.

If it were my choice the brake controller would be of prime importance before hauling anything with trailer brakes. The brakes are put on the trailer for a good reason.

·
Registered
26 Posts
You could do it but if you can get the controller before you go, do it. You're in BC so it's likely you will be in some hills. Any safety issues aside, if you are using your truck brakes to hold back an additional 4000# going down any length of hill you are looking at very possibly heating them up and ending up with warped rotors. That is very costly. I called up my local Truck Outfitters to see if I could get in to get a controller installed and was in and out in 40 minutes.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
also check local laws...alot of local laws require them at 3k pounds..some 4k, some higher....anything over 3k IMO i would have them.....thats having pulled a 3k lb load w/o trailer brakes and had to avoid a pedestrian trying to kill themselves in the highway....tundra brakes worked well but trailer brakes would have been helpful there

·
Registered
98 Posts
I agree with what everyone else has said. If the trailer has electric brakes, you will definately need a brake controller or the trailer brakes will just lock up on you. If the trailer does not, I would look to getting some added. it is always better to be safe than sorry. If you get into an accident that could have been avoided with trailer brakes, you are screwed!! A good lawyer will rake you over the coals for not having them.

Bill

·
Premium Member
1,530 Posts
Check local laws.

·
Registered
32 Posts
you will definately need a brake controller or the trailer brakes will just lock up on you
I have not found this to be the case in my experiance. The brakes rely on a signal from the controller to tell them to actuate. No controler means they do not actuate.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
I don't know the laws in BC, but most States have very specific towing laws. Worst case you will have to explain to law enforcement and your insurance company why you had an accident because of no trailer brakes. The choice is yours....Towing Laws

1 - 10 of 10 Posts