Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had my OE rims replaced with rims off an 05 Tacoma. The guy at the tire shop said I should get an aligment too, I told him that it was just a direct replacement of the same size rim. As I pulled out I noticed rubbing on the frame.

Should I have needed an alignment or did he do something to cause the rub. The OE rims didnt rub but now these do...

any Ideas???

·
Registered
68 Posts
Does the rim have the same offset as the originals?

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It came off an 05 Tacoma, I belive it does. when I bought it I was told it would fit. These are offset 20 and the OE tundra rims are 15 mm (from all i could gather.) They are OE see attached pic ( the single one is the stock tundra and the 4 rims are what I bought

Attachments

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
It came off an 05 Tacoma, I belive it does. when I bought it I was told it would fit. These are offset 20 and the OE tundra rims are 15 mm (from all i could gather.) They are OE see attached pic ( the single one is the stock tundra and the 4 rims are what I bought
Greater positive offset brings the wheels inward, these move in 5 mm more than your stock wheels making them more susceptible to frame rub especially if you over sized the tires, alignment would do nothing for you get some wheel spacers.
Wheel Offset
Are you sure those are +20 offset and not +30
are they like these on ebay, if so these move into your frame nearly 3/4 of an inch.

ItemPrice/ItemQuantityTOYOTA TACOMA SEQUOIA 4 RUNNER wheel rim 16" OEM$189.00

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
those are the exact ones I have...Damn..I just wanted a rim that looked a little cooler than what I had, this is turning into a cash cow!!!!what size wheel spacers do you recomend? 1.5" ?

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
For all this trouble I should have gotton the 17" and some new Tires!!

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
those are the exact ones I have...Damn..I just wanted a rim that looked a little cooler than what I had, this is turning into a cash cow!!!!what size wheel spacers do you recomend? 1.5" ?
Well since you already purchased the wheels, you can get spacers that put the wheels back out 3/4 of an inch or more, take and measure how much farther you want your tires out, do you want them even with your flares or fenders, just keep in mind to go out at least 3/4 inch, since you have a 4x4 you mite want to go farther out if you plan on larger tires in the future, good luck.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Take your truck into a good tire & rim shop and talk to them. They should measure everything up and tell you exactly what you need.

Since you're already doing this I'd suggest bringing them right out so they're even with the fender flair... it'll give a slightly wider stance that'll look good, slightly more stability, and it'll give you some extra room if you ever decide on installing wider tires in the future.

I'd also suggest using wheel adaptors instead of spacers.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
are putting spacers on the wheels gonna put any stress on the UCA's or cause problems when getting an alignment??

OR

should I just get some Tundra wheels and be done with it

·
Registered
68 Posts
are putting spacers on the wheels gonna put any stress on the UCA's or cause problems when getting an alignment??
No...

...but they do put extra strain on your lug nuts. The wider the spacer, the more the strain.

Wheel adaptors mount right to the lug nuts like a normal wheel does, then the wheel attaches to the adaptor like it would with a normal hub. There's some extra strain, but not as much as what you'd get using spacers.

OR

should I just get some Tundra wheels and be done with it

I'd Ebay the rims you have now and start all over.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well will any wheels off a Tundra fit my truck, even the newer Tundras ?? basicly..If it came off a Tundra ( even the newer ones) will it go back on mine w/ no issues??

How about the 17" rims/wheels....off a tundra

1 - 11 of 11 Posts