Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please help circulate this around. I'd hate for someone to get shafted out of $1200 for a piece of crap exhaust. Could have gotten something completely stainless for half the price. I purchased the above exhaust in 2012 and love the sound. Toyota claims that it comes with a lifetime warranty. After 5 years, this is what it looks like. Have had everyone from local Toyota dealership to Corporate tell me that it's normal wear and tear and only surface rust. So damn disappointed at Toyota's customer service and the fact that they won't honor their warranty. It'll be rusted completely off in another year. Yet they claim there's nothing they could do. I live in VA, so i'ts not like I'm constantly dealing with salted roads or near salt water. It's just a piece of crap that I purchased due to the TRD name. How about make your ****in exhaust stainless steel and completely rust proof. What a FN waste of $1200. So furious! Pictures don't lie.

Attachments

·
Registered
278 Posts
That's completely normal for a stainless exhaust and is indeed merely surface rust. It is a fallacy that stainless doesn't rust it just resists corrosion better than standard steel.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My exhaust, though stock, is rusted WAY worse than that and still is not leaking. You have many years before it rusts through. You live in a northern state, as do I, and I have just determined that the road salting techniques are to blame for everything!

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Fester is right, its surface rust but there are better grades of stainless. Most OEM is made of 409 stainless but the best exhaust systems use 304 stainless. My MBRP is made of 304 and looks pretty much as good today as it did in 2012 when I bought it, same year as yours, and I do live in the salt belt. By the way your flanges are not made of stainless, they are mild steel, even the best systems still only use mild steel there. The dealer isn't doing anything because the system is not leaking, if it ever does, then they will probably honor the warranty.

https://www.summitracing.com/expertadviceandnews/professoroverdrive/answer/3932

https://www.maperformance.com/blogs/maperformance-blog/77005123-409-and-304-stainless-steel-bet-you-didnt-know-these-details

·
Registered
8 Posts
I was at my dealership a couple weeks ago and they had a 1 year old Tundra Crewmax with the TRD dual exhaust on it. Now, I live in the rust belt and they salt the roads like fat guys salt their fries! That's a lot! It didn't look that bad but did have quite a bit of surface rust for supposedly being stainless steel and only 1 year of use. I have a K&N cat-back exhaust on my Jeep that I installed in August of 2001. It looks much better with just a small amount of surface rust around the welds. It's T304 stainless. I also have a Gibson stainless steel exhaust on my old Dodge Ram. It's 2 1/2 years old and has zero rust on it! I would look at something else especially for the $1100-1200 price tag.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello
If I could add a note here, all metals have an Achilles heel, so to speak. I'm not a metallurgist, but I do work with metals and alloys regularly in my job as a refinery inspector.
While the 300 series of stainless (304, 316, etc.) are pretty oxidation resistant, they are susceptible to cracking in a chloride (salt) environment.
The 400 series of stainless (405, 409, 410, etc.) are much more chloride resistant but are more susceptible to environmental oxidation (rust).
Those may be factors exhaust manufacturers consider when designing their systems. If it were me, I would opt for a gradual degradation (rust) over a catastrophic failure (cracking and leaking) if I knew my product were going to be used in a salty environment.
JMHO.....

·
Registered
6 Posts
My exhaust, though stock, is rusted WAY worse than that and still is not leaking. You have many years before it rusts through. You live in a northern state, as do I, and I have just determined that the road salting techniques are to blame for everything!
Almost the same to buddy's new '14 project which we will be working on right after we finished installing the brake kit and maxxis dirt bike tires on the current CRF450 project. We took a look at the underneath and everything seems pretty rusted but just on the surface. Looks little bad though for being not on the rust belt area.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Hello
If I could add a note here, all metals have an Achilles heel, so to speak. I'm not a metallurgist, but I do work with metals and alloys regularly in my job as a refinery inspector.
While the 300 series of stainless (304, 316, etc.) are pretty oxidation resistant, they are susceptible to cracking in a chloride (salt) environment.
The 400 series of stainless (405, 409, 410, etc.) are much more chloride resistant but are more susceptible to environmental oxidation (rust).
Those may be factors exhaust manufacturers consider when designing their systems. If it were me, I would opt for a gradual degradation (rust) over a catastrophic failure (cracking and leaking) if I knew my product were going to be used in a salty environment.
JMHO.....
Good point Guido but one thing you may not have considered is that most of these aftermarket systems come with lifetime warranty so even if something big does happen, its covered.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have a dealer installed TRD Supercharger and Exhaust and I love them. Before considering a aftermarket solution to TRD you might want to check on warrantee coverage or you could be at risk if you ever have to have factory warrantee work accomplished!

David

1 - 10 of 10 Posts