Toyota Tundra Forums banner

Do you haved an Extang Solid Fold that does not leak?

21K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  PassingThru 
#1 ·
Does anyone have an Extang Solid Fold cover that does not leak?

After getting one on my new Tundra and seeing it leak all the way around then reading the threads I just would like know is it possible not to leak?

Is there anyone that can say they have one that does not leak?

Looking at the design I don't see how its possible for it not to leak.

Thanks in Advance :)

#2 ·
2010 Tundra,

I bought mine last a couple of months ago and I have not experienced any major leaks. I sprayed some silicon on the gasket to keep it supple and prevent drying out.

Hippo, 2010 Tundra, 4x4, DC

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply. When you say no major leaks? Does that mean some water is still getting around it? Here is my problem. No major leaks either but if I wanted to haul something that could not suffer any water damage like say boxes etc I couldn't because the water leaks around and then runs in the bed. So if I was going on a trip with luggage I would have to put the luggage in plastic bags to protect them.

I guess I never realized how good my other one was till I got this one. I never had to worry about a drop of water before. Now its a different story.

The reason for the thread is this. If others are have got one that just doesn't leak then I guess I will go back to the dealer and request another new one. But if I can't find anyone that has one that doesn't leak then the conclusion is that by design this manufacture can't make one that keeps the bed dry (and their advertising is misleading at best to false). So then I will just get my money back for a different manufacturer.

#15 ·
That is because it cost almost as much as the cover to ship it back. I just went through this and wish I would have seen more on the leaking issue before making the purchase. Here I am 11 years since this thread was initially posted on this forum and Extang still has a terrible design. Its too short for my 2015 Tundra short bed. $900 for the cover. $500 to ship it back to return it. I just bought it within the last month.

#5 ·
I have a Trifecta, but I believe the seals are the same as the Solid Fold.

Anyway, it may have to do with how the top rail is shaped on the truck.

I had a Trifecta on my 2007 Tundra and some water would get in. I now have an F150 with a Trifecta and it is watertight. I think it has to do with the fact that the Ford has deep, solid grooves embossed into the plastic top rail. The Trifecta molds to the top rail and forms a good seal. The top rail itself is very wide too.

The Tundra on the other hand had a smoother top rail from what I remember which allowed water to more easily move sideways across the top rail.

Here are some pics I just took of the Trifecta on the F150 that shows how the weatherstripping sits on the top rail.

#6 ·
Thanks for the pictures. The tundra's top cap is not smooth and has slight groves in it. They have a pattern to them and are not straight like in the pictures you posted. Hence probably not a great seal. But also in the area it folds you can tell the weatherstipping doesn't make a complete seal by design.

I am encouraged that apparently the possiblility does exist I could have one that does not leak. I love the look and the way it folds etc. I just have to have it DRY.

I have told the dealer and haven't heard anything back thusfar.

If I get a chance I will get some pictures posted.

It rained a lot today and I took another look. Water all the way around including the front of the bed area. So it is leaking in the front too.

As far as not having the right one. I got it from the Toyota Dealership and they installed it. I would assume the ones they have are for the Tundra but I'm not expert :)

#7 ·
First time to post pictures here so hope this works :) The camera was starting to fog up and it was raining hence did not want to ruin camera. So the photo showing the fold up was foggy. I wished it was better.

Anyway you can see the leak is all the way around. If you look at the one picture of the cover on the outside where the hinge is you can see the stripping seems to not even touch. There is a space.

Now I have no clue why its leaking in the front of the bed but you can see its leaking there pretty good too.

Attachments

#8 ·
Yeah, that's leaking pretty bad. :eek:

For the front, you can try moving the entire cover forward a bit more. The seal that runs across the front has to be in good contact with the bed rail. When I had my Tundra, I had to mount the Trifecta forward so that it was almost touching the back of the cab.

The hinges are somewhat different on the Solid Fold than the Trifecta and my understanding is that they have drainage tubes or channels. It's hard to tell if the water is coming in through the hinges or just along the sides. I wonder if its also possible that its coming in from under the plastic rail cap.

#9 ·
Yeah, that's leaking pretty bad. :eek:

For the front, you can try moving the entire cover forward a bit more. The seal that runs across the front has to be in good contact with the bed rail. When I had my Tundra, I had to mount the Trifecta forward so that it was almost touching the back of the cab.

The hinges are somewhat different on the Solid Fold than the Trifecta and my understanding is that they have drainage tubes or channels. From your pics, it looks like the water is coming it through the hinges.
I have tried to look several times to see where its coming from. Its leaking really too much to try to figure out. I guess I would have to let it get completely dry. Get in it and have someone spray water all over it :) There does seem to be some water running across the bed in the hinge areas but if its coming from there first of just running to there is hard to say.

#10 ·
This may sound crazy, but something else you can try is to sprinkle some baby powder or something like that along the plastic rail cap with the cover open, ideally in a garage and out of the wind. Then, close it up and open it again. You should be able to see a footprint as to where the seals are touching the bed and where the gaps are.

Also, when testing with water, try a gentle spray directly down on the cover from above. Check for leaks. Then try spraying from the sides and check it then. This would at least help determine at what level of water pressure and direction the cover starts to leak.

Then of course, there's the daylight test. Just crawl inside the bed with the cover closed and check for daylight coming in along the seals.

#11 ·
My setup is a bit different since I do not have the stock bed rail tie down system and also have the crappy OEM bedliner. I would get in the bed and have someone go around with a strong flashlight outside in low light and try and see if you can pinpoint the issues. I washed my truck again the other night and had zero water get in from any spot, something does not seem right about the cover you have. As someone else mentioned I also sprayed clear silicone on the seals to help preserve them but in your case there is something really wrong with the cover or installation.

#13 ·
Conclusion................the dealers says that if you want a bed cover to be dry then this is not the one to have.

So I got another one.

Bottom line after all this. If you want a bed cover to be dry this is not the one to get. The fold up is cool but if you are hauling things that cannot get wet don't waste your money on this bedcover.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.