Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the market for my first laptop, and am having trouble deciding wheter to stick with pc or get the macbook pro. For those of you that have macbooks and were former pc users, how is the change? And I am a mac hater, but I am in love with there high quality slim design and all the little "useful" gadgets on it. They also seem more compatable than before. Offcourse I can get a PC with the same or better specs for almost half the price, but DAM those macbooks look awesome, I can't help it. So how do you guys like the new macbooks out right now? Any problems? Pros and cons? Thanks.

·
Admin from Hell
13,116 Posts
I'm in the market for my first laptop, and am having trouble deciding wheter to stick with pc or get the macbook pro. For those of you that have macbooks and were former pc users, how is the change? And I am a mac hater, but I am in love with there high quality slim design and all the little "useful" gadgets on it. They also seem more compatable than before. Offcourse I can get a PC with the same or better specs for almost half the price, but DAM those macbooks look awesome, I can't help it. So how do you guys like the new macbooks out right now? Any problems? Pros and cons? Thanks.
No. Get a Windows-based machine like God intended.

·
Banned
1,363 Posts
Here is a thread I started soon after I got mine...http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/off-topic/147968-macbook-pro/. I love my Macbook. I love the stability of the Macs. Being that it is on a Unix core provides better security as well. My last laptop I had (Windows) was 8 pounds and the battery only lasted maybe an hour. I had it for only 2 years before it crapped out. My MacBook Pro, the battery consistently lasts 4 hours using the wirless adapter. I have 2 gigs of ram, my PC at work has 2 gigs as well and it drags you know what. The speed of the MacBook Pro is awesome. Up until this point, the macs have been impervious to viruses unlike PC. And will most likely it will stay that way...atleast that is what I am hoping. I figure, if I would have had to buy 2 PC's in 4 years and if my MacBook last 4 years, then it will pay for itself.

·
No job too small.
2,206 Posts
Some people don't like the glossy screens on the new MacBooks. They make it hard to see in some situations, and show fingerprints. My son has one, uses it mostly for Word and WOW, and likes it.

I've never used anything other than low end Macs since, like '87.

·
Premium Member
1,474 Posts
I would have loved to get a MacBook but I just couldn't justify paying 3 times more than the Dell I ended up buying.

If your rolling in the dough then the MacBook Pro is the way to go.

Stuball

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Well, if you got the money you might as well buy one. However since I don't do any music or anything of the sort (Only Word and P0rn) then I would stick with the regular Macbook.

They're a heck of a machine.

-rockstate

·
Registered
172 Posts
The mac does what its supposed to when its supposed to. I converted to my macbook pro 3 years ago and haven't looked back once. Take the plunge you won't be disappointed.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Go with a Mac and you'll never look back. Windows machines are good for boring office work, but if you want a computer you can be creative with and have fun with..... get a Mac. No viruses, no spy ware/malware or whatever other kind of "ware" thats out there. Just turn it on and its ready to go right out of the box. Apple doesnt bog down their computers with a ton of trial ware that you wont use either, when you turn it on for the first time it takes about 3 minutes and youre rolling. Pre-installed drivers for whatever you can throw at it. Whatever you plug into it just works.... its that simple.

There is a huge misconception that Macs are more expensive, but what PC people dont realize is that Apple sells quality, dependable hardware, and just happens to throw in a great OS along with it. Leopard/Snow Leopard comes with so many features that would be separate software upgrades on a windows machine. If you were to price out a PC and a MacBook Pro with comparable software you'd find that Macs are very fairly priced. You are also not getting a "mutt" computer as Apple controls and makes all of its hardware. You are are paying for quality, much in the same sense you bought a Toyota instead of a Dodge Neon.

Apple's phone support is top notch, your calls are not out sourced to some guy named "Tom" in India. If you have a problem you can go right to any Apple store and make an appointment at the Genius Bar.

My wife is a designer and has been on Macs for years. I fought like crazy when she wanted to buy a Mac for the house years ago. No we have multiple Macs in the house, including 2 MacBook Pro's..... all work flawlessly with no problems at all. I'd never go back to a windows machine again.

Dont worry about the transition, there are only minor changes to get used to. Instead of closing a window in the upper right.... you close it in the upper left.... no big deal. Your dock is at the bottom, thats where all your apps live.... click on it and away you go. Heck, most Apple products dont even come with instructions..... you really dont need them. Apple is all about the user experience...... everything is just made to work as effortless as possible.

And if by some crazy reason you still find the need to run windows, then you can use BootCamp or Parallels to run windows on your Mac. But I promise it wont come to that.

Good luck..... youre gonna love it!

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the replys guys, I'm really considering getting one at the moment- just got to get passed the cost factor and i'll be ready to buy one. I do have the money to get it, but it's so expensive I have to think a bit more.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Got a MacBookPro 15" a year ago and love it. :D I don't know if it's just me, but Macs seem to pickup less "cooties" on the internet.

Two more things that I am spoiled on with MacBookPros ...
(1) Quick break-away magnetic power cord. ... :clap2:
(2) Back lighted key board so I can type in the dark. ... :D

SOS

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
just got to get passed the cost factor and i'll be ready to buy one. I do have the money to get it, but it's so expensive I have to think a bit more.
Honestly, dont worry about the cost, you arent saving any money in the long run by buying a PC. Last year my mother in law wanted to buy a new computer, we tried and tried to convince her to buy a Mac but she thought she was saving money and went with a PC. 8 months later and her cheap PC is now a $900 door stop that is filled with viruses and spyware. It took her forever to learn windows and now she's so frustrated with it she doesnt even turn it on anymore...... $900 down the drain.

If you want a computer that is fun to use and just simply works..... go with a Mac. We have a 17" Macbook Pro and a 15" Macbook Pro..... they are amazing little laptops. Check out the new 13" MacBook Pro too. Smaller screen real estate but pack the same punch as the bigger MBP's.

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
NO offense, but my uncle has a Macbook Pro and if you want to believe it yourself, try tripping over their power cords.. you will only get your macbook pro laughing at you and pointing to its magnetic power jack! (yes they use magnetic fields to keep the jack tips in place on the macbook pro!)

Sanosuke!

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
yeah, the magnetic jack is awesome. I've kicked it a bunch of times by accident and it just pops right out and the MB stays on the desk. Its a great feature.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I switched to the Mac platform when I started my vinyl business in late 2006. I'd read they were great systems for graphics use etc. I too had the cost concerns and the learning curve concerns that you now have. I bit the bullet and purchased a MacBook Pro 15". I have to say I wish I hadn't waited so long to make the "switch".

I'm not a total convert, since I have PC's in my home and have to use them in my daily "9 to 5" job,,, but if I had a choice I'd work with Mac's exclusively.

I have a PC that is in my HT room that is basically used as a music surver and internet machine. (I had this PC before I built the room) Shortly after I purchased the Mac Book, my GF bought herself one of the little Mac Minis. I have since purchased a small (crazily inexpensive) E-machines PC for the work room for web surfing and emailing. (for Pandora etc. when I'm working on vinyl and for my daughter to play her games and do home work on) All of my personal Mac's, PC's and work PC's share an affordable wireless network that I set up myself with almost no time involved. All of my systems work well together on the network and rarely cause issues.

I have to say,,, if you just surf use Office, and e-mail,,, don't waste your money on a Mac,,, but if you are into graphics intensive stuff, you already have other Apple equipment, and/or just want to learn a different system, you will probably forget about the extra $$ in a few weeks. The PC OS and GUI's are getting more and more like the Mac OS when it comes to user interface it seems, and driver issues seem to be getting better on the PC side of things as well,,, but the Mac still has the PC beat in most every way IMO. I am willing to pay more for quality product and quality service. I believe you get what you pay for with a PC and with a Mac. YMMV

I don't put any stock into the whole "no virus on Mac's" thing. If you use your computer wisely and put a password protected hardware firewall between yourself and the net, you'll be fine on a PC as well as a Mac. I've been operating all of my computers (Macs and PC's) without any type of software based security protection since I purchased my first router and have never had a virus. Maybe I'm just lucky,, but most of the virus stuff is "self induced" IMO.

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
I switched to the Mac platform when I started my vinyl business in late 2006. I'd read they were great systems for graphics use etc. I too had the cost concerns and the learning curve concerns that you now have. I bit the bullet and purchased a MacBook Pro 15". I have to say I wish I hadn't waited so long to make the "switch".

I'm not a total convert, since I have PC's in my home and have to use them in my daily "9 to 5" job,,, but if I had a choice I'd work with Mac's exclusively.

I have a PC that is in my HT room that is basically used as a music surver and internet machine. (I had this PC before I built the room) Shortly after I purchased the Mac Book, my GF bought herself one of the little Mac Minis. I have since purchased a small (crazily inexpensive) E-machines PC for the work room for web surfing and emailing. (for Pandora etc. when I'm working on vinyl and for my daughter to play her games and do home work on) All of my personal Mac's, PC's and work PC's share an affordable wireless network that I set up myself with almost no time involved. All of my systems work well together on the network and rarely cause issues.

I have to say,,, if you just surf use Office, and e-mail,,, don't waste your money on a Mac,,, but if you are into graphics intensive stuff, you already have other Apple equipment, and/or just want to learn a different system, you will probably forget about the extra $$ in a few weeks. The PC OS and GUI's are getting more and more like the Mac OS when it comes to user interface it seems, and driver issues seem to be getting better on the PC side of things as well,,, but the Mac still has the PC beat in most every way IMO. I am willing to pay more for quality product and quality service. I believe you get what you pay for with a PC and with a Mac. YMMV

I don't put any stock into the whole "no virus on Mac's" thing. If you use your computer wisely and put a password protected hardware firewall between yourself and the net, you'll be fine on a PC as well as a Mac. I've been operating all of my computers (Macs and PC's) without any type of software based security protection since I purchased my first router and have never had a virus. Maybe I'm just lucky,, but most of the virus stuff is "self induced" IMO.
LOL! You don't even know what OS the newest Macs run those days.. I'm ashamed to say. ;)

Sanosuke!

·
Registered
126 Posts
LOL! You don't even know what OS the newest Macs run those days.. I'm ashamed to say
Not quite sure what you mean here??? Those days,,, or These days? I think you're bustin my pills,,, but I'm not sure if you typoed or I'm having a blonde moment!?:clown:.

I was referring to Windows trying to get their latest OS interface/s to look like the later Mac interface. To me the Vista interface looks like they were trying to "copy" the look and function of X/Leopard. (I haven't seen SLeopard yet.)

Regardless,,, I'm no expert on either machine that's for sure, just tryin to give an "amatuer's" experience with the platform switch.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I ended up getting a macbook pro 13" yesterday. Got the free ipod touch promotion too, and sold the touch to my friend for $200 to get a little money back. The MacBook is nice, just got to learn how to use it/ get used to it :confused:. Is there any programs to clean like hard drive? Like for my pc I used ad-aware, disk cleanup, and disk defragmenter.

·
Banned
1,363 Posts
I ended up getting a macbook pro 13" yesterday. Got the free ipod touch promotion too, and sold the touch to my friend for $200 to get a little money back. The MacBook is nice, just got to learn how to use it/ get used to it :confused:. Is there any programs to clean like hard drive? Like for my pc I used ad-aware, disk cleanup, and disk defragmenter.
Dude...You got a Mac. All the PC stuff you HAD to use...is now just a memory. Enjoy your Mac and let it take care of itself. I would install and use FireFox over Safari.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
I put Norton AntiVirus (NOT Norton 360) on my MacBookPro and it has saved me a couple of times. It's a little difficult to find Norton for Macs.

Everyday, I just go to the Safari Tab (when Safari is up) .. then scroll down and click "Reset Safari" and then check all boxes & click on "Reset".

After that .. (Under Safari Tab again) I click on "Empty Cache".

This is all done under the "Safari Tab" ... I do this several times and it keeps all the cooties, cookies and etc. cleaned out.

FYI ... I asked myself the same questions that you are asking now (about software maintenance). Macs are very easy in general.

One cool thing you will find is all the free video tutorials on your "Apple Start Page" at this link --> Apple - Start

I have had this Mac laptop for a year and I am still finding cool things that it will do. ... :D

SOS

PS ... Our (non-Apple) PCs have Norton Anitvirus & Webroot Spy Sweeper on them and these work great in combination.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts