Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Although many people own trucks,I wonder how many actually use the cargo capacity of their truck.I myself don't use the cargo capacity for the majority of my driving,but I do at times need every bit of the capacity that a 6-1/2' cargo box provides.Yet I do know many people that use their truck as a car and rarely if ever use the box at all.How about you?

·
No Really, I swear, I'm Done..
3,091 Posts
Use it all the time, have the dents, bumps, gouges, scratches, missing paint and rust to proove it to. I don't see how I could do what I need to do without a truck.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Use mine all the time. In fact I'm driving my brothers ranger right now because he needed my truck for it's bigger bed and the ability to tow a trailer (he's moving furniture)

My father has an expidition for a while...it killed him! He missed having a read truck. Nothing like a real truck bed. Period. There should be at least one truck, of any size, in every family :tu:

·
Registered
548 Posts
we use the truck bed 10mths out of the year, almost every weekend. It's used as a motorcycle hauler for 2-3 bikes, and all the gear. Not at fyll capacity, but still needed.

·
Jedi Ninja in Training
8,309 Posts
I can't seem to fit my dirt bike in the trunk of the Passat, I've tried and the wife hit me with a frying pan when she caught me. So yes, personally, I need a truck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have always owned and needed a truck and I like comfort also. I can't imagine a man that doesn't need a truck from time to time. God knows I am always being asked to lend mine or just help someone without a truck. If you own a house, YOU NEED A TRUCK! :D That being said, I use my truck for camping, fishing, hunting, hauling, and everything in between. The big question is, who doesn't need a truck?

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
I can't seem to fit my dirt bike in the trunk of the Passat, I've tried and the wife hit me with a frying pan when she caught me. So yes, personally, I need a truck.
Hahaha that's great! :D

·
Registered
98 Posts
I had 3 trucks before my current 4Runner, and have missed the utility ever since I bought it. I got the 4Runner because I was traveling to Vancouver alot and a full size p/u does not fit into an underground parking garage all that well....had to back my old Silverado 300' down a circular parking garage ramp that progressively had a smaller radius as you went up, finally reached the point where I was hard over and could not move! Now I'm cleaning out the back of the 4Runner all the time from the junk I haul, plus with a baby seat back there I don't have much hauling room so I'm always borrowing a buddies old truck...he doesn't seem to mind as he gets to ride a newer 4Runner for the day!!!

As soon as the lease is up I'll be getting either a Tundra or Silverado...presently leaning towards Tundra after finally getting to sit in one this weekend. I do lots of camping/kayaking all summer and need the space.

·
Driver of 2 Tundra trucks
6,319 Posts
Although many people own trucks,I wonder how many actually use the cargo capacity of their truck.I myself don't use the cargo capacity for the majority of my driving,but I do at times need every bit of the capacity that a 6-1/2' cargo box provides.Yet I do know many people that use their truck as a car and rarely if ever use the box at all.How about you?
I have an 8 foot bed and use it daily.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I agree with some of the above posts. Do I need a truck on a daily basis, no. However, I own a house and a fourwheeler and there are times it is very much needed. Hauling plywood, drywall, garbage, furniture, etc. makes having a truck a great benefit. Also, I have just always liked having a truck as my daily driver. In this great country sometimes people have what they want, not necessarily what they need. Having worked my butt off fifty or more hours per week for the last 18 years, sometimes I just get something because I want it.

Trucks are also nice with the kids. It is convenient to throw in the power wheels toys, bikes, and many other things.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Everything I use my Tundra DC 4x4 for I could do with any other large SUV:

1. Towing jetskis, skowmobiles, ATV's or a boat.
2. Hauling kayaks, mountain bikes, skis, SCUBA gear, camping gear
3. Hauling three large dogs around.
4. Moderate off-roading and LOTS of snowy weather.

The only problem is that I really got tired of having the inside of my previous SUV smell like wet or dirty dogs :D . Even in their crates, the WHOLE INTERIOR basically became saturated with dog smell after years of taking them everywhere I go.

I initially thought about getting a new Tahoe or Expedition, but then it dawned on me that the interior would STILL SMELL!

It also dawned on me that a full-size four door pickup was the SAME THING as a full-size SUV, but with a completely seperate and isolated rear cargo compartment that could carry wet, dirty dogs without stinking up the passenger cabin (assuming a cap/bed rug is installed). :tu:

For me, it was a no brainer!

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
OK - I will be the first to admit, here, that I don't need a truck. I work in an office, don't have kids, don't have any recreational vehicles, have nothing to tow.

When I first started looking into buying a truck, I asked myself "What do I have that needs to go into the bed of a truck?" Then I started looking at pickup trucks and what people have in their bed. I realized, then, that most other people don't usually have anything in the bed of their truck either.

I'm sure I would be perfectly happy with an SUV if it were not for the fact that here in Texas, most SUVs are driven by women. Men drive trucks. I also like the fact that you can drive a truck that is a little dirty and beat-up and it doesn't necessarily look bad.

Finally, in any motor vehicle accident, I always like to be riding in the heaviest vehicle possible.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Yup, it's my work truck, used every day, usually totally full, and my trailer too.

·
Premium Member
11,634 Posts
I'll answer the question a different way.

If I didn't work in construction and have the back filled with tools and ladders and materials, I would still own a truck.

I've put a lot of thought into this, if I changed occupations tomorrow, I'd keep the truck.

I might buy a car because of mileage, it would probably be a used Honda or Toyota car, but the truck stays!

I love my truck, I like being able to drive in any weather, haul anything that will fit in the back, tow whatever requires towing.

Its not always what you DO with the truck, its about what it CAN DO.

It CAN make me happy, and it DOES make me happy.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Don't use mine as a work truck either, but it still gets a lot of use hauling stuff around for all the projects I get involved with. Recently retired and now doing a lot of road trips,so I added an ARE tonneau and a bed rug. Five passenger comfort and the largest trunk you will ever need for luggage. It always made sense to me that if you require two vechicles as most families do, one of them should be a truck.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I dont really need one. I never haul anything, nor do i tow anything. I could make due w/o a truck, and have owned cars in the past, but I just keep coming back to trucks.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
I need it for hauling my fishing gear I have a lid and hate toppers.
I could use a large SUV but wont, I like the truck better.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
I dont really need one. I never haul anything, nor do i tow anything. I could make due w/o a truck, and have owned cars in the past, but I just keep coming back to trucks.
It's that thing hanging between your legs that's bringing you back :D Haha!!

·
Registered
61 Posts
I don't understand how any family can live without a truck. How do you haul your christmas tree, cyprus mulch, landscaping plants, new furniture, lawn mower, gas cans for your mowers, all other dirty sh**. I've had a truck for 25 years, can't imagine life without one

1 - 20 of 40 Posts