Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have an 06 Sequoia with the factory wheels and factory tow package. Going to be getting some 285/70/17's soon and was wondering if I could fit a 285 in the spare tire location??

There is some wiggle room around the spare tire, but...it is pretty close to the back of the receiver on the factory hitch. It would be great to be able to fit a fullsize spare since there aren't any swing out tire holder options that I know of.

Anyone get a 285 spare to fit in the Sequoia factory location?

or......... any other options besides a roof rack????

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Nope, I have a new 265/75/26 MT on my spare and it almost didn't fit. It's touching the hitch now, and there is no clearance. I had it up while doing the springs, and I think the only way to make a 285 to fit is by removing the hitch, or deflating the 285 enough to fit...which defeats the purpose. Even when I go to a 285, I'm going to keep the 265 as a spare since it will just be for emergency and very short distance.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Padron, I have a 275/55/20 tire that I just put in the spare tire location the other week. I too was curious like you to see if it would fit and it did.

Take a look at my thread here: http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/tires-and-wheels/193512-will-aftermarket-wheel-fit-original-spare/

I used this website to calculate my tire diameter: Tire size calculator

My 275/55/20 comes out to 31.9" and your 285/70/17 is 32.7". After placing my tire in the spare location, I noticed that it was very close to the exhaust pipe. If you have the stock exhaust then you will not have this problem. However I have the Borla catback dual side exhaust with one of the pipes wrapping around the spare tire to extend the exhaust pipe to behind the left wheel's mudflap. And so that was my dilemna if I should be concerned if it is to close and if that can be of a danger to the tire itself with the heat from the exhaust pipe that runs by it. As for the width of the tire, it was not a problem. Yes it sticks out a little more than the stock tire but thats not a concern at all. With your 32.7" tire I think you should be fine. Best way to know - try it out!

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Pagaldesi4life: do you also have a receiver hitch on yours?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks fellas,

Hmmm, not sure...The tire I am looking at says it has a diameter of 33.3" with 19/32 tread...It is tight behind the factory hitch. I wasn't sure if I could push the tire forward while tightening it up to get the required clearance......

I want to get a fifth tire, but with it possibly not fitting the spare location it makes me have second thoughts....

Any more suggestions or ideas appreciated :tu:

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pagaldesi4life: do you also have a receiver hitch on yours?
Great question, I am going to try to drop the tire in a few minutes and see if I can push it forward while tightening it up to gain some clearance....

Please let me know if you have the factory receiver hitch Pagal.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Yes I do. And the tire is pressed against it. Not at an excessive force but I had the adjust the tire at a correct angle so the edge of the hitch receiver wasn't poking into it.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Hmmm 33.3", that might be pushing it. Theres also a stopper on the other end of the spare location to keep the tire in check from moving or hitting anything else. I was under the assumption that the tire height calculated from that site had included the thread as well, I guess its just the height of the side wall. Definitely give it a try, it wont hurt if you do. Let us know how it turns out for ya.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Pagal,

Does your spare rest in the factory location near the front stopper? I think I could fit a 33 inch tire but it would be getting close to the bar ( panhard bar???) in front of the resting stopper for the factory tire and getting closer to the axle and may touch that bar that is just before the axle.

How close is yours to that bar?

I am going to order the tires online, not sure if I want to order the fifth tire if it won't fit as I won't have an extra wheel if I keep the stock tire as a spare.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
You might want to just pick up a used 285 from the local tire shop and see if it will fit. With it having less tread than new, it might fit better anyway....Good luck

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Big-O,

Yea still undecided here....may just get 4 and check it with the new tires...I can always get another if needed. Just was liking the idea of getting them all at the same time and being done with it.

I think I could get the 33 to fit, but it will bypass the factory stop and I might need to get a new stopper welded in place, so it would not rest up against the Panhard? bar....

If anyone has a 33" spare on their Sequoia without issues please let me know. :cool:

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Padron, mine fits right within the stop. I really do think you'll be fine, def take big-o's advice and find a tire around that size at one of your local tire shops, I'm sure they'll have something you can try real quick. It's always good to order 5 wheels & tires, its pricey, but worth keeping the spare on hand. You can toss it in the trunk if you have room or just keep it at home and bring it with you on long distance trips when need be. Fortunately for me, I took out the 3rd row of seats (I never used them) so I always had the trunk space to keep the tire there. After a while, I figured to give this a try.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks,

I ordered 4 tires today....I will try one of them in the spare location after I get the front end lifted and get the tires mounted.

Need to get my Total Chaos upper control arms and get the ICON shocks mounted in...Tires should be here next week.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I have a 285/75R16 BFG AT/KO on my factory 2002 aluminum Seq rim and it fits, it touches the trailer hitch and the tire almost rubs on the panhard bar but it does fit. I bought it used and it has about 75% tread.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts