Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The air vent just to the left of the Radio keeps moving up and won't stay where I want it too. Is this a known problem? The reason I ask is my brother and friends also do this and a Tundra I test drove does this. If there is an easy fix for this please let me know.

Thanks everyone!

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts
There is a TSB for it. If you're still under warranty they will swap the vent out for you. Give me a minute and I'll find the TSB for you...

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have the same problem, my 07' DC has been doing this the first year I bought it. Will look into the fix too

·
Registered
197 Posts
My 07 had this problem, sad to hear they have not fixed it since.

Ask the parts guy to order the vent, tell the service guy you will schedule the truck for repair once the part arrives. Once it arrives ask the parts guy if you can compare the new part to the old before service gets theirs hooks on it. Once the service guy comes out to your truck with you pull back the dash cover, pull the old vent out pop the new vent in. Snap back the cover, tell the parts guy thanks , tell the service guy thanks for nothing . Drive home, problem solved. Swapping the part takes no more than 20 seconds.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Glad I came back and saw this thread. Both of my driver side vents are always full up or down never where I need them. I will definitely be talking to the dealer about this one. Thanks again guys.

·
Registered
41 Posts
My 07 had this problem, sad to hear they have not fixed it since.

Ask the parts guy to order the vent, tell the service guy you will schedule the truck for repair once the part arrives. Once it arrives ask the parts guy if you can compare the new part to the old before service gets theirs hooks on it. Once the service guy comes out to your truck with you pull back the dash cover, pull the old vent out pop the new vent in. Snap back the cover, tell the parts guy thanks , tell the service guy thanks for nothing . Drive home, problem solved. Swapping the part takes no more than 20 seconds.
And you wonder why you get treated bad at the dealership...

·
Registered
197 Posts
And you wonder why you get treated bad at the dealership...
Not when the great and wise "service advisor" tells me he needs my truck all afternoon to pull the dash off to do this "repair" that took me 20 seconds to fix.

Not when it seems 4 years later they still have this issue with current builds.

Not when I rather fix the problem myself than rely on others.

But you have a nice 4th anyway :devil:

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
i have read threads and read threads on this...and never noticed it till other day when my wife drove it and i found a piece of rolled up paper shoved in the vent and i asked her about it. she said its moved up on her since day one and it just was too not to have it pointed at her so she wedged it with the paper. i guess i always have it pointed up to my head anyway and since she's shorter, she noticed it. guess she should have told me back under 3/36 so i could get it fixed haha oh well. she'll learn.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Okay, that's it!

AIPs, rusted lug nuts, flimsy tailgate, sagging dash, and NOW air vent won't stay put.

I'm selling my dream truck with only 1650 miles.

You've got my mods, email me an offer.

·
Banned
8,888 Posts
Okay, that's it!

AIPs, rusted lug nuts, flimsy tailgate, sagging dash, and NOW air vent won't stay put.

I'm selling my dream truck with only 1650 miles.

You've got my mods, email me an offer.
dammit, just when i thought;

i'm a gonna make you an offer you can't refuse...

i see you have no email in your contact-list..!! :D

so how now..?? :beatsme:

lol, i noticed the sarcasm, buddy..!! you're way too happy with your truck..!! :tu:

:D dikkie :D

·
Premium Member
417 Posts
i had found out about the TSB after my truck had just past 3 years of ownership. I occasionally had the problem and figured since i gave them $7,000 in insurance work within the last year (see my marmot damage post), they would take care of it

since they don't stock the part, i scheduled the service appointment and then got a call 2 weeks later from service that they had the parts. I called to finalize the actual service date and asked the tech to confirm this was a warranty fix.

nope ... "your truck is 3 months past" .. blah, blah, blah ... clearly did not care about all the money they made repairing my truck previously.

then they told me the part would cost $125 and require 1 hour of labor!

for those in this part of CO .. avoid boulder toyota ...

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts
i had found out about the TSB after my truck had just past 3 years of ownership. I occasionally had the problem and figured since i gave them $7,000 in insurance work within the last year (see my marmot damage post), they would take care of it

since they don't stock the part, i scheduled the service appointment and then got a call 2 weeks later from service that they had the parts. I called to finalize the actual service date and asked the tech to confirm this was a warranty fix.

nope ... "your truck is 3 months past" .. blah, blah, blah ... clearly did not care about all the money they made repairing my truck previously.

then they told me the part would cost $125 and require 1 hour of labor!

for those in this part of CO .. avoid boulder toyota ...

That price seems too high, you could contact the guys at sparks toyota and they'll give you the best possible price. I don't know which vent you have a problem with, but you could easily replace it yourself. I guess they would charge you an hour because that's the minimum but it will only take a few minutes to do it.

Here's a guy that fixed it with a got glue gun. Not the way I would do it probably but works for him.
http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/tundra/106990-a-c-vent-wont-stay-middle/#post731464

·
Registered
797 Posts
or you can just stick one of these air vent freshener. i dont wanna waste my time at the dealer lol and this works just fine:cool:

·
Registered
3 Posts
I did not want the dealer to take my dash out just to put in the same loose vent again also. I saw another forum about using sticky Coke which most people did not want to do so I thought of using some very sticky Silkoline (spelling?) motorbike chain lube I had on each of the pivots and it works. Application is very easy and neat using the tube that fits in the spray nozzle. The chain lube is sticky enough to hold the vent in the hottest temperatures.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm hoping that the "certified" part of my purchase covers this part and labor.

Thanks for the help and looking up the links and TSB's for me and others that just discovered they have this problem.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
About this Discussion
18 Replies
14 Participants
Satimc
Toyota Tundra Forums
Tundra Solutions Forum - the best community to talk, mods, price, repair and research your Toyota!
Full Forum Listing