Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At first I thought that my extremely annoying dash rattle was related to this:
http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/tundra/117139-finally-fixed-my-dash-rattle/

Now that I've seemed to track down the exact location, I'm pretty sure that's not it. My rattle is right on the center of the dash and if I lightly press on the part of the dash that sits over the temperature display, the rattle will go away. This is the location:

My only thought is to maybe pull that center speaker grill and see if there's anything I can do under there. Anyone else ever had this rattle?

Thanks so much,

Wes

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Same problem here. Sound like the speaker is loose on mine.

·
Registered
85 Posts
When I bought mine, they jammed the XM receiver into that spot and completely ignored the OEM installation guide that came with the receiver. Rattled horribly but not as bad as the service advisers head when I was done...

That whole area of the dash is poorly supported - watch it bounce around if you ever hit a washboard dirt road. Everything else (like harnesses) in that area are pretty well anchored.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
shove some foam in there wherever it fits..pressure down will stop the rattle, pressure pushing up from the inside should too....just whatever and wherever you can shove something.

and no, i dont have that rattle, but i have had rattly cars before

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
Same exact issue here! Driving us nuts! I will have the dealership take care of it the next time I take it in for oil change.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay...I think I may have fixed it but I won't have an official answer until I drive my truck to work tomorrow. If you ever do this, be careful pulling the center dash speaker grille off because two of those stupid yellow clips came loose and fell into my dash.... one of them fell back out from behind the dash and onto the driver side floorboard but the other one unfortunately stayed behind the dash somewhere. I pirated a clip off the sail panel before putting it back together because I know the sail panel will stay put just fine until I can get another one from the dealer, and I don't have risk dropping another one in the dash. Anyway, it seems like it was the clear plastic lens that goes over the temp display causing the rattle. I took some soft foam pipe insulation and cut it up with scissors and then jammed it under the lens, which seemed to stop the rattle when I tapped on it with my finger. I'm keeping my fingers crossed and will post an update tomorrow. A few pics:

-Wes

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
Let me know how it goes!

·
Registered
859 Posts
Wow, looks like you might have fixed it. And I was gonna suggest duct taping that puppy down.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My rattle is not entirely fixed! :mad: I know I'm close though because I changed the dynamics of the rattle. It only rattle over slightly bumpy roads now and its a deeper sound. If it's rattling and I just barely put my finger on that clear lens the sound will go away completely. I think the speaker grille may have taken some of the pressure of the foam off when I put it back on. Although I'm confident I can go in there to fix it once and for all, I think I'll leave it up to the dealer since I'm bringing my truck in tomorrow morning to have the wheels, HVAC control cover, and rear power port replaced.

-Wes

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Forgot to update you guys about this. My dealer gave me the line about how they couldn't reproduce it so I decided to fix it once and for all. I was swapping out my headunit so I had perfect access to that area under there. It was, as originally suspected, the plastic lens in front of the temp display. I was also using the wrong type of foam before. This time, I used some of my wife's seat cushion foam that she uses for chairs. It's just white and really spongy, not firm like the pipe insulation. Once I had the foam jammed in the correct place, the rattle stopped and hasn't come back for over a month. You should be able to access that area without removing your headunit, but the photos show where you will have to reach:

-Wes

1 - 11 of 11 Posts