Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to gain a little more height and run the 75 vs the 70's on my R16s. I know the advantages will be a softer ride but what are the disadvantages ? I am looking for Mich or BFGs in an all terain
Thanks

·
Registered
119 Posts
Im running 265 70 17's on mine, which has the same OD as the 16-inch rim and tire you propose, so it should fit. ( my stock tire was 265 65 17)

The speedo/odo will be off a bit.

Tire size calculator

try this tire calculator to test your size alternatives.

BTW, I think Michelin LTX MS or LTX AT are great tires for these vehicles.

·
Registered
119 Posts
113 S.

On fully pegged left turns there is a whisper of rub in the front of the right wheel well since itis a slightly different wheelwell shape than the left. After having these tires for over 6 months, we have only "barely cleaned the dirt" off an area the size of a quarter in the right thermoplastic wheel well liner. In short, no appreciable rub.

I note I have not tried show chains or radial snow chains in the rear (or front) wheelwells with these tires.

Our rig is 2wd.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I run BFG All Terrain 265/75/16's..

No problems.. maybe some slight rubbing on full turn when the tires were new... and some rubbing now when full turn going up/down an incline (driveway)... Looks slightly more aggressive (could be the tread design as well though), and fills the gap a little better.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Funny this thread was posted. As a matter of fact, tomorrow I am getting some put on. P265/75R16 Bridgestone H/L Alenzas. I considered a better tire for off road use but I live in Florida and will not be worrying about snow for quite some time and very very rarely venture off road. Also got them for cheaper than the Revos I was looking at here in Gainesville. I'll let you know how they handle.

They warned a 4mph speed difference. Does the speedo error vary more w/ speed? And would the speedo be showing 4 over or 4 lower?

Also, does anyone think that the extra inch of diameter and few lbs on each tire will noticeably affect gas mileage and performance?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Mad

You might play with that tire calculator I provided the link above.

On the 16 inch diameter rim and tire with an overall increase in OD of 1-inch to 31.6 inches, when your speedo shows 60 mph, you'll actually be going 62 mph. So, in one hour at that speed, the machine thinks it went 60 miles when it actually went 62 miles.

·
Registered
503 Posts
ah nice didn't know that calculator site had a speedo error check on it as well. 2mph doesn't sound like much of a problem. thanks.

i take it the odometer will thus be off by 3.4% over a long period of time? not really a big deal on short trips, though something like a 1000 mile road trip with a direction 34 miles off could be a pain.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I JUST returned from one of the Firestone dealers in Gainesville to get my new P265/75R16 Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenzas fitted. Came from P265/70/R16 Bridgestone Dueler H/T. Got an extra 1.1 inches in diameter, and the front wheel well definately looks more naturally filled up. Drives well and the tires are fairly quiet - extra ride height is barely noticeable but the truck does appear to sit a hair higher. No rubbing at all w/ just one person in the car on solid ground :tu:

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have that size Michelins on mine, thats what was on it when i bought it so i dont have anything to compare them to, but i like them so far. Excellent ride

·
Registered
503 Posts
Hm. The guy at firestone claimed that since the odometer will not be affected by larger tires because it relies more on the transmission and driveshaft rotations, or something along those lines. Is this true? Not terribly concerned with having an odo off by some 3% but on a long road trip, might be a little annoying. Also nice to show off how many miles the thing truly has once it's past 100k, 150k, 200k, etc to have maintained great build quality that I almost expect it to, assuming I don't plan on selling it.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Hm. The guy at firestone claimed that since the odometer will not be affected by larger tires because it relies more on the transmission and driveshaft rotations, or something along those lines. Is this true? Not terribly concerned with having an odo off by some 3% but on a long road trip, might be a little annoying. Also nice to show off how many miles the thing truly has once it's past 100k, 150k, 200k, etc to have maintained great build quality that I almost expect it to, assuming I don't plan on selling it.
He has been sniffing too much tire glue. The driveshaft & transmission will rotate at different speed due the the different tire diameter from before - so long story short, your speedo will be off. The knucklehead at the tire shop is a moron.

Oh yah - all speedos are from the trannies - the wheel sensors are only fo the ABS, etc.

·
Registered
503 Posts
What does it do to the MPG have you guys noticed a difference?
I'll be going on a small road trip this weekend that will be mostly highway driving after mostly city driving. Hopefully I can refill the tank and judge both of these soon enough on my first full tank with the larger tires.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts