Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got back from having the dealer do an oil and filter change.
The whole bill for the oil, filter, and 20 point inspection (whatever that amounts to) came to $33.64. The seems like about HALF what it has been in the past.:confused:
Yeah, I know!! I should do my own but at that price the DIY route doesn't really seem all that attractive!!:cool:

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts
Well I'm assuming this if for dino oil, and I usually pay about twice that too. Maybe they are running a special now that they didn't tell you about. That is cheap these days.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
crap its hard to change your own oil for that....

·
Banned
444 Posts
Yup.. about What they charge here

·
The M.F.I.C.
3,762 Posts
That's about what I paid last 2 times... give or take

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
I just got back from having the dealer do an oil and filter change.
The whole bill for the oil, filter, and 20 point inspection (whatever that amounts to) came to $33.64. The seems like about HALF what it has been in the past.:confused:
Yeah, I know!! I should do my own but at that price the DIY route doesn't really seem all that attractive!!:cool:

Except for the part that when you do it yourself, you actually know its done right.:)

·
Premium Member
5,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Except for the part that when you do it yourself, you actually know its done right.:)
True enough, but my dealer tends to be fairly good about that stuff. Just lucky I guess.
AND.... this way doesn't require Band-aids for skinned knuckles and cleaning the gravel and grass out of my back when I get done.:D

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
True enough, but my dealer tends to be fairly good about that stuff. Just lucky I guess.
AND.... this way doesn't require Band-aids for skinned knuckles and cleaning the gravel and grass out of my back when I get done.:D
Yeah, I normally blow out the garage before I lay down to prevent that. Only my wifes car goes to the dealer and that is only because I don't have a jack that will go under it. But I watch them like a hawk while its there.

One of the supervisors at my workplace just got a new F150 Platinum a couple months ago and had his oil changed/tires rotated Thursday. I asked him how he liked the truck and he showed me a pic of the days events. The tech forgot to tighten the lug nuts at all and the wheel fell off driving out of the dealership. Had to have an entire front grill/bumper assembly, plus whatever damage to the rotors, etc. He is trying to get them to give him a new truck. Dealerships seem to hire anyone nowadays.

·
Premium Member
349 Posts
That's pretty much what I've been paying since I bought my truck in '07. In fact I get that and a tire rotation done for $45. Even better is when they don't complete it within the hour, I get the next one free.

·
Registered
918 Posts
We're a ball-bunchin bunch of truck-owners aren't we. Charge too much, the dealer's rapin us. Charge too little, you wonder where they skimped.

Sarcasm intended
=)

·
Premium Member
5,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah, I normally blow out the garage before I lay down to prevent that. Only my wifes car goes to the dealer and that is only because I don't have a jack that will go under it. But I watch them like a hawk while its there.

One of the supervisors at my workplace just got a new F150 Platinum a couple months ago and had his oil changed/tires rotated Thursday. I asked him how he liked the truck and he showed me a pic of the days events. The tech forgot to tighten the lug nuts at all and the wheel fell off driving out of the dealership. Had to have an entire front grill/bumper assembly, plus whatever damage to the rotors, etc. He is trying to get them to give him a new truck. Dealerships seem to hire anyone nowadays.
The Tundra doesn't fit in the garage (too tall) so it's do it in the driveway or take it somewhere. Not so bad in the summer but out of the question in the winter.
Agreed about the dealers hiring anyone these days!! At least I have known the techs at my dealer for a while and they will let me into the shop if I want to watch them.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Funny I just had mine done today too and also had the recalls done while I waited this morning. That price seems right if your running regular oil but its about twice that for full synthetic oil around here they also offer a semi blend for something in between.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Not so bad in the summer but out of the question in the winter.
Funny, its the exact opposite here!!

I just checked my last bill. 34.95 for the oil change plus tax. It's to get you in so they can upsell. Even new trucks the can try to add on Additives, alignments, cabin filters, tire programs, wheel balancing, air filters, etc.

·
Registered
3,696 Posts
I guess i have been lucky, my first 2 changes have been free (had to pay to get the tires rotated the second time though). A bit leery about doing it myself (dmn 5.7 with a cartridge filter). I can't decide on an oil, I want to stick with the 0w20 (don't mind Mobil1) thought about Amsoil (big fan of this stuff other than the cost and i put a lot of miles on a year). I can bum my buddies lift to change my oil if i need to, but i will pay him or his shop to rotate (that way if something goes wrong it's covered by his insurance).

·
Premium Member
5,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Funny, its the exact opposite here!!
Yeah, I lived there for a while many years ago. Gets seriously HOT in the summer, but it would be cooler under the truck than out in the sun.:eek:

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Dealer just did mine on Monday, the bill was about $33 and some change. Been paying around that price since new. No need for DIY at that price for me.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Yeah, I lived there for a while many years ago. Gets seriously HOT in the summer, but it would be cooler under the truck than out in the sun.:eek:
Well, that actually depends on how long the truck has been parked there! If you just pulled up to the spot where you want to change the oil, the concrete of your driveway or the street can be VERY hot. i.e. you couldn't stand in bare feet. prob would not want to lie down on it either, because the heat will just be radiating from it like nobody's business. I guess you could put a mat down.

My buddy was just working under his vehicle this last weekend. Woring on his exhaust I think. He literally had to go inside because he was dizzy. The heat finds a way!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts