Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't let my mutt in the front seat when we're cruising but she's always trying to lay with her head on the center console trying to get a little head scratching in. It looked really uncomfortable so I decided to make something for her to bridge the gap between the back seat and the the center console.

I know, I have way too much free time on my hands.

·
Registered
741 Posts
wow another nice mod :becky: you have been busy, btw it's not a waste of time, she looks like she loves it :dog3:

·
Registered
6,781 Posts
My dog does that too but she kind of sits on the floor and puts her chin on the console since I have no backseat. cool mod, cooler dog. points sent if allowed.

·
Premium Member
765 Posts
What is is made of? two pipes, and... whats the main piece made off? fiberglass?

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
any write up on how its made or pics of the process? it looks really well done

·
Registered
14 Posts
I love it. I have 2 boxers that would love that mod. Only problem is, they would fight over it.

·
Registered
313 Posts
my black lab/rotty mix is elated to ride in the BED of the truck, he doesn't go in the cab unless the temperature drops unexpectedly while we're out or something of that nature. he just sheds wayyyy too much. however, very cool mod, i have to disagree with the "ridiculous waste of time," for someone who does bring their dog in the cab, that looks like a great mod that is certainly worth the time.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
my black lab/rotty mix is elated to ride in the BED of the truck, he doesn't go in the cab unless the temperature drops unexpectedly while we're out or something of that nature. he just sheds wayyyy too much. however, very cool mod, i have to disagree with the "ridiculous waste of time," for someone who does bring their dog in the cab, that looks like a great mod that is certainly worth the time.
Your right, it wasn't a waist of time. I just figured most would think it was and I'd get a few goods laughs. I always have fun making things like that and the pooch loves being next to me while we're on the road. It was totally worth it. I'm stoked I'm getting such good remarks!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What is is made of? two pipes, and... whats the main piece made off? fiberglass?
It's 2 pieces of 3" pvc, 2 pieces doorskin reinforced with fiberglass for the top and bottom panels (not counting the top padded layer, that comes later). I started off by taping off the edge of the backseat, applying a releasing agent and laying a few layers of fiberglass. I left it in place. Then I cut the 2 pieces of 3" pvc (the perfect diameter for the cupholders) to a height that would exted above the center console.. Then I glassed the pvc pieces together with a piece of doorskin laying across the top of them. After the glass kicked I pulled the pvc pieces out, now solidly connected together, trimmed the excess doorskin away except for the piece connecting them and put them back in the cupholders. Then I laid a piece of pre-cut, reinforced doorskin (the top platform) at just the right spot over the pvc tubes and the fiberglass laid over the edge of the rear seat. Then I ever so gingerly attached the doorskin to the pvc tubes and the fiberglass piece on the rear seat with small strips of fiberglass. Once it cure I removed the entire piece. To make the bottom panel I flipped the piece upside down and cut a piece of reinforced doorskin with 2 holes to fit over the tubes and precut it to align with the rounded piece from the rear seat, which will eventually be the bottom of the thing. I glassed it into place. With the 2 tubes, back rounded section, top and bottom platforms securely glassed together I stretched a large piece of polyester fleece over the bottom, cutting 2 holes in it for the tubes, and stretched it very tightly up and over the top platform. I stapled the edges as I went and once done I cut off the extra. Then I saturated the hell out of it with polyester resin. Once hardened it's equal to several layers of glass but takes the bends and curves that the fleece does. It's friggin' awesome! I love this technique. After that I just fared it out with bondo, sanded, bondo, sanded, bondo, snanded, you get it, and painted it. The top panel was made with a piece of 1/4" ply, 1" foam and some vinyl. I secured it with some double sided tape (just in case the mutt screws it up I can take it off and replace the vinyl). I hope this was clear, I didn't takes pics because I didn't think any would give a rats a$$

·
Registered
151 Posts
That is awesome.

But for my dog...that would just give him a "bridge" to entice him even more to come up in the front seat when he knows he should be riding in the back.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Maybe down the road at some point. Right now my Rottie mix is just starting to learn that for her own good her place is always the backseat. For her own safety and also because that's the area that gets covered with a blanket. So when she pukes from the car sickness issue everyone tells me she'll grow out of it doesn't get on my interior. If I hop out for a second without taking her she has a tendency to hop up on the console and make her way to the front area to see where I'm going. Don't want to encourage that, but this is worth considering down the road if and when she could learn to rest her head up there for petting without using it to stroll all over the truck.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Sign me up for one, my dog would be more than greatful. Nice work and clever mod.

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
I cut out a rectangular piece of 1/4 inch plywood, The width of the back seat with a square shaped piece in the middle to fit to the console. With the seats all the way back,The armrests hold the whole piece down, and the dogs have the whole back seat area to rumble! P.S. I also keep a towel on the console to keep scratches at bay.Make sure to cover the plywood with some kind of fabric so the edges dont tear up your seat fabric. Sorry, no pics available...I'm old school!

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
WIN very nice unique mod. I have a small jack russell terrier and I'm pretty sure she would use that to her advantage to climb over it into my drivers seat.

·
Premium Member
13,116 Posts
My problem is trying to keep the dogs OUT of the front; not making it more accessible to them. Fortunately, I have the Bench Seats with the fold-up arm rest. I use that to keep 'em from crawling up front.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts