Toyota Tundra Forums banner

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
I hear there's also the collars that don't shock, but have that poking, pulsating feeling that doesn't induce actual pain. It just kind of causes that wierd sensation in the dog's neck that makes him stop what he's doing and pay attention to you. Surprisingly I learned about it at a 2 thousand dollar 2 week obedience school. Surprised me, as I figured if you're charging that amount you have a method to train my dog that doesn't involve a training aid I could use on my own.

Regardless... just remember that it's not a crutch for inability to control the animal or unwillingness to exercise that dog and get that excess energy out of them. IMHO the eventual goal should be to hardly ever actually need to use it. Heard of far too many situations where someone else's animal goes berserk and they shock them just to make them stop and leave it at that. No commands, no structured walks, the dog gets to do whatever it wants then gets reigned in with a shock.
All good advice. Shock collars can be set to give very little stimulus. If a dog yelps then it is too much and needs to be toned down.

In fact, the stimulus should be set low to begin with and worked up until the dog notices. Collars that have a "beep" along with the stimulus are especially useful since after a while the "beep" alone gets the dog's attention and the shock can be turned off.

The goal is to never need to use it as eharri3 points out. It should only be used to reinforce known commands rather than leaving the dog to figure out why it got zapped.

In the hands of an inexperienced trainer a good dog can be ruined in no time.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I saw this old thread and wanted to add that I use a TriTronics collar for our dogs.

Our trainer recommended them but as mentioned you have to be very judicious on how you use it.

·
Premium Member
1,710 Posts
I'd knda like to know what these cost. I'm thinking under $100. We took Blacky on a combo fish and hunt to Roosevelt Lake last weekend. He was the most well behaved of us except he barfed twice in the back seat on the way there. We had everything covered. He's a good watch dog and growled once during the one night we were there. I slept outside and he was ok company except for the stolen licks. We left him onshore when we rowed out to not catch fish. He waded in and then swam out to us. He wasn't good in the boat and ended up jumping out once. He freaked out, but got his composue back. We hauled him back in and quit. All-in-all a crappy (not fish) trip.

·
Registered
444 Posts
The decent ones are well over $100.

The circumstances you discuss do not indicate a need for a shock collar.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
LIke GWD said...

I cant' remember what I paid for mine now (I probably posted price earlier)

I'd like to follow up and say that the dog is pretty much a stud now. He doesn't really need a shock collar any more, but I'll let him outside with it on anyway since we are in apartment complex (and there are a LOT of variables).

Here's a pic of him (just for you Mr C)

-rockstate

·
Registered
1,789 Posts

"What we have here, is a failure to communicate."

The world is crawling with people who can properly train a dog.
They can train your dog or, better, train you.

An animal that wants to please you is always better than one that fears you.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey guys, my buddy bought a shock collar for his dog (his dad's a Vet) and he has been using it. He's seen a good response in the dog, and he let me borrow it for Goliath.

Goliath has been outside with it 3 times now and responds to it well, obviously. Now, here's the question, I won't be able to use the shock collar whenever I want, but is it worth it to spend $150 for one that is my personal collar to train my dog? I think it's either $150 for a trained dog, or one that is leash only that still tries to pull me around when he sees another dog - and yes, it's very annoying after almost a year.

I'd like to nip it in the bud now, even if it means using it hardcore for a month, and then on an as-needed basis.

I'd like to hear from Woody and Tundrunk as well as everybody else who has a dog (I know those two for sure have one). Arthur, I know you got one too, so let's hear your opinion.

With the limited research I've done, there's one that's effective for 600 yards, is a bark collar, ultrasound, vibrate, and a shock collar all for $150 as is also waterproof for 15 feet or so. (I figure any deeper adn the dog's dead anyway).

-rockstate
Are these collars harmful to puppies??

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey guys, my buddy bought a shock collar for his dog (his dad's a Vet) and he has been using it. He's seen a good response in the dog, and he let me borrow it for Goliath.

Goliath has been outside with it 3 times now and responds to it well, obviously. Now, here's the question, I won't be able to use the shock collar whenever I want, but is it worth it to spend $150 for one that is my personal collar to train my dog? I think it's either $150 for a trained dog, or one that is leash only that still tries to pull me around when he sees another dog - and yes, it's very annoying after almost a year.

I'd like to nip it in the bud now, even if it means using it hardcore for a month, and then on an as-needed basis.

I'd like to hear from Woody and Tundrunk as well as everybody else who has a dog (I know those two for sure have one). Arthur, I know you got one too, so let's hear your opinion.

With the limited research I've done, there's one that's effective for 600 yards, is a bark collar, ultrasound, vibrate, and a shock collar all for $150 as is also waterproof for 15 feet or so. (I figure any deeper adn the dog's dead anyway).

-rockstate
I bought a dog 5 months ago. We had a big problem - barking when we are not at home. We decided to try a special collar.
Bark сollar is a dog collar directly that responds to what sounds your pet makes. That is, the device can cope not only with barking, but also with a howl that comes from a pet. The principle of operation of such an accessory is that it begins to send vibrations, voltage discharges or to produce a spray to calm the dog.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey guys, my buddy bought an electric shock collar for his dog (his dad's a Vet) and he has been using it. He's seen a good response in the dog, and he let me borrow it for Goliath.

-rockstate
Is there any harm done to your dog. ... Shock collars hurt your dog and are a painful way to train. Actually, modern e-collars are highly adjustable. In the old days, they had few levels and COULD be extremely unpleasant in all settings.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey guys, my buddy bought a shock collar for pitbull (his dad's a Vet) and he has been using it. He's seen a good response in the dog, and he let me borrow it for Goliath.

-rockstate
Thanks for the information.

41 - 50 of 50 Posts
About this Discussion
49 Replies
18 Participants
johnsnowkornar
Toyota Tundra Forums
Tundra Solutions Forum - the best community to talk, mods, price, repair and research your Toyota!
Full Forum Listing