Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have a 2007 4x5 Toyota Tundra 5.7L. About 3 years ago I put the Total Chaos UCA with the 2.5" Donahoe coilovers. When I first installed them things seemed ok, seemed the ride was not terribly bad... but not a few years later things are much different.

I have cranked the shocks up once, since the spring seemed to sag. After leaving it like that for a year I got really uneven tire wear, so I lowered it back down.

Right now I have 2.25 inches of coil exposed from the top of the threads down to the part that screws along the shock.

Does anyone know what the correct amount to have is?

My truck rides like a complete brick.. it almost feels like there's no suspension. When I hit a small rut in the road its like BOOM BOOM like im riding in a car without suspension? I figured that with the minimum preload these things should ride at least somewhat OK? It's really bad, it's about as stiff as any truck I've ever been in. I'm running I believe 325x65x18 BFG A/T. I've tried running as low as 35psi, and it doesnt help with the ride at all just makes it more shaky in the steering.

Today I looked underneath at my shocks, and at the bottom there is a lot of fluid that has leaked out. Does that mean the shocks are ruined? If the shocks were ruined would that explain a stiff ride? I would think I'd have a bouncy spring like ride if the shocks were dead.

Anyways, just really bummed out about how crappy my truck rides and am almost considering trading someone my Total Chaos UCA and coilover for all stock.

Any advice or specs to try would be appreciated. Can I buy a different coilover to put in here? How much thread should be exposed to have the best ride on the Donahoes? Thank you!

·
Registered
401 Posts
Have the coilovers rebuilt (new oil, etc.). The Progress coilovers on my Integra did this every year and once rebuilt, the ride was as good as new.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Regarding the tire wear, did you get the truck aligned any time you adjusted the coilovers? Best thing to do is document the actual frame ride height, so you know if it changes. Even better, follow the Toyota Factory Service Manual and see how much ride height you've increased.

The fluid leaking, means they need to be rebuilt. That's the beauty of these type of coilovers, they can be affordable rebuilt to good as new with a few small tools, or by a shop for not too much.

·
Registered
943 Posts
you should rebuild coilovers ever one and half years. IF you offroad a lot once a year is good. Average rebuilt price is $80 shock

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
So, if it's $80 a shock... then you have to get 'em put on and aligned again? you're looking at quite a bit.

-rockstate

·
Registered
149 Posts
If you are meticulous about re-setting the spring preload and the ride height to where it was before, you should not need an alignment. Might be worth it to get a free check done though.

·
Registered
33 Posts
What in the hell is a 4X5? I guess you included the spare. HAHA, J/K

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My understanding is that Donahoe no longer exists though? What do I need to tell a shop to find out if they can rebuild these? Are these gas or oil? Thank you!

I had a friend put mine on and now I live 2000 miles away from that friend.. I'm guessing I'll need a spring loader to get these off?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Donahoe is now Icon Vehicle Dynamics. They are located in Corona, CA. They are oil damped with a gas charge (dividing floating piston).

You will not need a spring loader. The spring collar is threaded. You will need a spanner wrench.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Donahoe is now Icon Vehicle Dynamics. They are located in Corona, CA. They are oil damped with a gas charge (dividing floating piston).

You will not need a spring loader. The spring collar is threaded. You will need a spanner wrench.
BTW, late thanks for this impressive response! Exactly what I needed.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts