Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to install a lift on my 06 Tundra DC - have read about 100 post and have narrowed it down to the donahoe or blistein coil overs.

A few of the sites say the Blistein does not work on the DC truck - some say they do - there is also mixed reporting about the actual amount of lift - so does anyone have them on a DC TRD and how much lift do you get? (looking to put 285/75/18 All Terrian KO's on it). Will 1.5-2 in support these tires without rub?

Also looking at the donahoe - same question, who has them on an DC TRD and how much lift do you get?

What are the pro's vs. Con's of the two compared? Most post say the donahoe are superior, but WHY? What makes them better?

Not so much concerned with the cost - just want to understand from someone running each how they like (each) and why one is better over the other - and finally how much lift I can really expect from them.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Not sure about the Donahoes but on Bilsteins website it says they will only lift our DCs 1.5".

Bilstein
*PLEASE NOTE: On the 4-door Crew Cab model, front lift is 1.5" max.*

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
I just installed a set of Bilstein coilovers on my DC. I had also read several posts saying they won't work on DCs, but I haven't had any problems with them. I have them set at 2" and could probably get another 1/2" or so.

·
Registered
429 Posts
As far as why Donahoe's (ICON) are better.....It really depends how you use the truck. I went from stock, to 2.5" spacer, to Bilstein 5100 adjustables, to the Donahoes, and finally to the Toytec C/O's (Bilstein 5100 with 650 lb Eibach spring). The Donahoes are the best if your hitting extreme terrain on a regular basis. They would soak up 8-12" diameter rocks like they weren't there. The only thing that would remid they were there was the rear of the truck going over them. I decided I didn't like them because of the spherical heim joint at the bottom. Really wish these high end companies would consider a bushing mount for the connection with the LCA. Long story short, after about a 4 hour desert rally, the unrestricted movement from that lower heim broke one of my mounting tabs on my LCA. From then on I swore I would never make that expensive mistake twice and I went to the next best thing, the Toytecs. They are not what the Donahoes are, but they ARE comparable. Good valving and rebound for the most part, however, they are not made for extensive hard use as they will fade since they are only 2" shock body vs. the 2.5 that the DR's (and most every other high end C/O) are. Last thing to consider, the Donahoes are rough over small washboards and bumps. The flutter valve is not designed to give until you hit the big bumps, but, that can be adjusted.

Good luck, whatever you choose, you'll be happy I'm sure. I would say go for the Toytec's over the Bilsteins from what I've heard, but then again just my .02

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for all the responses - think I'll go with the Bilstein coil overs. With only a 1.5-2 in lift hopefuly the tires won't rub.

·
Professional Driver
501 Posts
Keep in mind there are the coilovers made by Bilstein and the Toytec coilovers with bilstein shocks. I have the Toytecs and love them. I did lots of research and really like my choice. I am pretty sure they will lift your DC up to 3" also, so they must run a heavier spring than the Bilsteins. Hope this helps you a little!

·
Registered
127 Posts
I have Donahue coilovers set to 2" of lift in the front. Goodyear SA 275/70R17 on ATX Mojave with 4.5" backspace which is about a 32" tire. Its a bit of an oddball size but I didn't want to commit to a 33" tire at this time. I was worried about on road braking and cornering. My next set might jump to 285s

I have approx 3/4" of room between the upper control arm. The tires rub on the factory mudflaps when turning in reverse, or if I hit a bump while turning. No big deal.

Nice thing about coilovers is if they rub and you need alittle more lift you can just crank them up(approx 3" max is my understanding). I am thinking about cranking up the front annother 1/2" which will make it level.

Gas Can

1 - 7 of 7 Posts