Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know anything about these different companies? whats the best for the money? has anyone had problems with any of these brands?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so its not worth the extra cost for the donahoe's?

·
Premium Member
11,253 Posts
I wouldn't go that far...

It's more like, how much performance do you need? Or want...

SAW (Camburg) bolt-in parts are like the 90% solution. DR bolt-in stuff is like the 95% solution. I'm just making up numbers for effect, BTW...

If you're ordering custom valving or something, they're extremely similar to the point personally I wouldn't call one better than the other, since now you're talking whose raw materials are better or whatever.

Ask MJ on the SoCalTundras forums, I think he's running DR front and SAW rear. From my own experience, SAWs work fine until the N2 charge bleeds off, then they go to hell and need rebuilding...I have no way to check (til now?) so it's been use 'em til they bleed, then send 'em back for a rebuild. Make sure the charge stays up, maybe they'd be fine. I have not had any problem in six years with pitting or corrosion on the shafts of my 2" body SAWs, at least nothing that would create a damping issue and certainly nothing visible to the naked eye...that's six years of Ohio and Colorado winters and a lot of abuse. If you're really hurting them, they'll need a rebuild every couple years. I would guess the DRs would be the same, if you really are beating them...daily driving they'll last a long time I'm sure.

I would expect the DR products to hold up equally well if not better since they (DR) claim their shafts are harder (ha ha) than the material used by everyone else. I would expect tho that seals and wear bands will wear equally fast as anyone elses. Their charge valve is supposed to lose N2 slower (or not at all) than the Schraeder valves used by everyone (?) else.

You can get very similar (ie you and I won't be able to tell) performance from both, similar length shafts, damping, etc...so like he said, pick your favorite color ;). Customer service has been reported as very good from both SAW and Donahoe (SAW is where you'd go for a rebuild, not Camburg, they are a reseller). AFA Camburg, Scott is very helpful and a good guy...also Ryan from SAW and Kreg Donahoe...all are on the board and check in once in a while.

-Sean

·
Registered
739 Posts
Saway-a-way's have a problem rusting, I've had my donahoes for over a year with no problems.

Donahoe also spent WAY more time than anyother company in valving and tuning their shocks.

I have the extended lenghth donahoes with camburg upper arms and LOVE them. My truck is smoother over whoops at speed than some of my friends long travel trucks. ha ha

·
Registered
89 Posts
This site wouldn't be any fun if we just gave you the answers. That's why there is a SEARCH button, so that you can educate youself and make in informed decision instead of an impulse one.

Seek and ye shall find.

·
Premium Member
11,253 Posts
Saway-a-way's have a problem rusting, I've had my donahoes for over a year with no problems.

Donahoe also spent WAY more time than anyother company in valving and tuning their shocks.

I have the extended lenghth donahoes with camburg upper arms and LOVE them. My truck is smoother over whoops at speed than some of my friends long travel trucks. ha ha
is DR willing to put a "normal" (schaeder) valve on there so people don't have to send them in for a recharge?

and can the seals and oil be swapped in the garage or do they have to go back to DR?

for me sending them in would be a huge pain and ive gone back and forth for a while whether i should pick up donahoes or stick with something i can rebuild myself. rebuilding is easy and any moto rebuild shop has nitrogen.

otherwise they're really, really nice.

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
From what I here, Fox has the best components, if moneys not an issue.
True BUT the Fox shocks for our trucks are not that good. They have excellent off road shocks as in an 8 inch with res. But I believe the shocks for our Tundras are 2.0's with a rubber lower mount which wears out quickly. I tried looking for some one the net just now to confirm but could not find any.

BUT if you are looking for a coilover for long travel or a standard shock for the rear or something along those lines I would Highly recomend the fox's over Sway-A-Way or King.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Thats how I found out, I talked to TC today about their project truck because Im going to copy it as far as suspension goes, but prob going to use Berg instead for the front. Not sure yet though. I had questions about their rear setup. I asked them, why Fox, and he said they use the best components in their shocks.

·
Registered
803 Posts
is DR willing to put a "normal" (schaeder) valve on there so people don't have to send them in for a recharge?

and can the seals and oil be swapped in the garage or do they have to go back to DR?

for me sending them in would be a huge pain and ive gone back and forth for a while whether i should pick up donahoes or stick with something i can rebuild myself. rebuilding is easy and any moto rebuild shop has nitrogen.

you can just put a new cap from a sway away on top of the donahues, someone told me that if i wanted the regular schreader valve. i havent put nitro in my hoes in about a year or more. iam sure they need it. my sway aways dont hold nitro at al.

·
Premium Member
11,253 Posts
you can just put a new cap from a sway away on top of the donahues, someone told me that if i wanted the regular schreader valve. i havent put nitro in my hoes in about a year or more. iam sure they need it. my sway aways dont hold nitro at al.
now yer talkin :devil:.

I called up DR the other day, they were really helpful but they will tell you straight they want to do the rebuilds so they're sure it's being done correctly, also that it's not hard to recharge them yourself if you wanted but it will void the warranty. If the warranty is a big deal and you want to rebuild them yourself, don't get DRs...but from the long talk I had with them, they sound like a very, very high quality shock...swapping the head would be perfect for what I'm after.

Unfortunately they won't build anything custom yet :(.

·
Preferred Dealer
46 Posts

The main reason we do not use a Schrader valve on our coil-overs is that they do leak nitrogen. The charge port that we use does not leak and in turn you should not have to re-charge the shocks for many years. If you want to rebuild the shocks your self you can purchase a re-build kit from us and have a local Polaris dealer charge them for you as they use charge ports as well. We do recommend that you send them back to us to be rebuilt because we know where to re-set the floating piston as well as we go through the shock from one end to the other to make sure everything is working properly.

You can not swap out our top cap with a Sway-A-Way shock as they are a completely different piece.

·
Registered
803 Posts
The main reason we do not use a Schrader valve on our coil-overs is that they do leak nitrogen. The charge port that we use does not leak and in turn you should not have to re-charge the shocks for many years. If you want to rebuild the shocks your self you can purchase a re-build kit from us and have a local Polaris dealer charge them for you as they use charge ports as well. We do recommend that you send them back to us to be rebuilt because we know where to re-set the floating piston as well as we go through the shock from one end to the other to make sure everything is working properly.

You can not swap out our top cap with a Sway-A-Way shock as they are a completely different piece.
good info thanks :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts