Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was installing my Polk DB6501 component set on the passenger side and I lost this clip for the sail panel inside my door. What happens is that if this clip falls into the door, it gets caught in a thin pocket between two sheets of steel about half way up the door. It's pretty much impossible to get out once this happens! I gave up my recovery effort last night at about 11PM when it was time for me to start putting things back together in order to drive my truck to work in the morning. It bother's me terribly now that I know there is a little piece of plastic inside the door that might eventually cause a rattle (I think I suffer from mild OCD). The bottom line is: if your going to install a component set or mess with the sail panel, be extremely careful around this clip! A few pics of this devil clip on the driver side (sorry for the quality, all I had at the time was an iPhone and a flashlight):

Hope this saves someone from going through what I did!

-Wes

·
Registered
115 Posts
You might try some Gorilla tape wrapped around the end of an opened wire coat hanger. The tape is STICKY and should bond with the clip for retrieval.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As embarrassing as it is for me to admit, this is not my first time losing this clip! The first time, I was able to locate the clip by knocking on the door and hearing it. Once I located it, I was able to fish it out with a thin piece of wire made into a hook on the end and a pair of surgeon's forceps. This took me probably an hour and a half. When it happened to me again last night, I was overwhelmed with anger :mad:! I would have tried to fish it out again, but I was unable to locate it this time by knocking on the door; it was lodged in a manner that wouldn't allow it to rattle. I actually attempted to use another thin piece of wire to loosen it and locate it but that didn't work. Tape on the end of the wire would be extremely difficult due to the distance between the two steel panels which is probably about 3/16" and the fact that you have to access the pocket through small holes. I also just called the Toyota dealer and I can get the clip for $2.54; kind of a rip off for what it is but I shouldn't need more than 1. I also ordered about 8 of the standard white door panel fasteners which were $1.14 each.

-Wes

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I suppose I could fab up a really skinny vacuum attachment with a small piece of rigid tubing and that might fit down in there. It had to reach probably about 8" down into the door.

Thanks,

Wes

1 - 6 of 6 Posts