Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have lost mine for the 2007 Hybrid Camry and it has cost over $400 to get a new one.... The Fob itself was $350 at the dealer and I got it at www.keylessride.com for 290. That still has to be programmed at the dealer, another $40. Then there is the laser cut key that slides in the fob for emergency entry when there is no battery power, another $120 again only available from the dealer.:confused:

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm curious - didn't the dealer give you 2 when you bought the car? Or are you replacing the lost one so you will still have 2?
Being of the female persuasion, I carry a purse and don't carry keys in my pocket. I couldn't attach the fob and the lojack fob to my key chain, so to avoid constantly missplacing them, I hooked them onto a small caribiner which I keep inside my purse or attached to the strap. This also keeps me from leaving the fobs in the car, since I never forget my purse. The spares the dealer gave me are kept in the house, so if I did somehow got locked out of the car, I'd either have to get home another way or get another family member to bring me the spare.

I have lost mine for the 2007 Hybrid Camry and it has cost over $400 to get a new one.... The Fob itself was $350 at the dealer and I got it at www.keylessride.com for 290. That still has to be programmed at the dealer, another $40. Then there is the laser cut key that slides in the fob for emergency entry when there is no battery power, another $120 again only available from the dealer.:confused:

·
Registered
22 Posts
There has GOT to be a way to start the car w/o the Fob in an unusual circumstance. We just have to get the person who knows to tell us.

·
Registered
79 Posts
There has GOT to be a way to start the car w/o the Fob in an unusual circumstance. We just have to get the person who knows to tell us.
To the best of my knowledge no Toyota Smart Start equipped vehicle has been successfully started without the fob. Not sure where I read it exactly probably some Prius forum. Being able to hotwire start a smartstart equipped vehicle would be a bad thing.

·
Registered
22 Posts
The system is designed to only allow an authorized fob to start the car. Fob acts an electronic key. There are ways to bypass the system but they are very time consuming and destructive to the vehicle unless you know exactly what you are doing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had heard also that their is no feasible way of starting the TCH w/o the fob. I thought I had lost mine. My wife found it in my pants coming out of the wash. $400 I was thinking and some tongue lashing. I waited patiently til the next day after blow drying the fob and allowing time for it to dry to prevent any short circuits. Fortunately it worked. Oh happy day.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I lost mine 2 months ago. I have been using the only one and sleeping with it after the dealer told me the key itself is 350. This is where the car manufacturers make money. (From suckers cant hold on to their keys)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Ok I just bought a new key fob and the uncut mini key for $99 on eBay. :tu: (I can't believe I am happy about paying $99 for A KEY) I am going crazy on the Internet to find a way to program it myself. And at the same time i am looking in the Camry hybrid factory repair manual.
Hey lets put our money together to buy a Toyota scanner tool....

·
Premium Member
2,581 Posts
I had heard also that their is no feasible way of starting the TCH w/o the fob. I thought I had lost mine. My wife found it in my pants coming out of the wash. $400 I was thinking and some tongue lashing. I waited patiently til the next day after blow drying the fob and allowing time for it to dry to prevent any short circuits. Fortunately it worked. Oh happy day.
For The Lexus pricing on this FOB, it better be waterproof!!!

Lt

·
Registered
9 Posts
^^I love my smart key. Its a convenient luxury where I enjoy not having to turn a key or click a button to unlock my car. Its also great not having my keys and key chain swinging and scratching the dash of my car.

·
Registered
2 Posts
There is another solution if you get your key fob wet:

What you need:
Towel
Rice
Zip lock baggie
Your wet remote

Steps:
1. As soon as you realize your keyless entry remote is wet, pick it up immediately! The sooner you start to revive it, the greater the chance of it surviving is. Place the remote on a towel and dab the remote, getting any of the excess water that is loose.

2. Grab a zip lock baggie and fill it with about 2 cups of rice, depending on how big the zip lock bag is.

3. Place the keyless entry remote in the zip lock baggie and seal it up nice and tight!

4. Tuck the remote in for a good 48-hour sleep.

5. After about 48 hours, you can take the keyless entry remote out of the zip lock bag. It is now time to find out if we saved a remote’s life!

If this does not work and you need top buy a replacement key fob give these guys a try keylessentryremotefob.com There prices are pretty good

·
Registered
2 Posts
There are many options online to order key fob, just make sure to order an OEM, not some knock off. I found that keylessentryremotefob.com has good quality recycled oem key fobs for about half the dealer. Also, take the key fob you order online to your dealer and tell them it just stopped working, I used this trick and it worked. They just programmed it for free.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts