Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So a couple of my door latches fail to stay open when the doors are open.
They 'fall closed' and when the door gets shut there's a bang and it opens back up obviously.
Usually I can just push the latch back up with my finger and re-shut the door, but it's frustrating regardless.
I've googled and found several references to the rear hatch, and one regarding actuators, but this seems like a latch issue.
Anyone else experience this and have a fix, or am I going to have to replace the latch itself?

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Your description seems kind of confusing. Are you saying one of the doors falls back closed and doesn't stay in the open position? If that's the case usually the problem is the check arm. Not sure what you mean by pushing the latch back up with your finger. Maybe take a picture of what you are talking about so its clear what the problem is.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The door stays open just fine, the latch itself closes while the door is open. Then when I go to shut the door the two parts bang together and the door opens back up again. I can push the latch open with my finger and close the door. So something in there is worn out, a spring maybe?

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
OK, now I know what you mean. One thing you could do is just pull the door skin and see whats going on in there. Could be something simple like a broken spring or something just came apart. I don't know much about them but pretty sure its just 3 bolts holding it in there. Have a look through this video. Should help give you an idea of what to do. And yes, the video is for a tundra but should be the same way to remove the skin.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Reviving this dead post. Driver's door in the "Beast" has the exact same problem. It is getting worse. I used lithium grease but that did not work. I then used silicone spray which did not work either. To get to this mechanism, the window and regulator need to come out as well as all cables for the release mechanism. This may be beyond me. I'm going to get a quote. The bitch about this is that I cannot find this mechanism online for purchase. I can find endless options for the second gen but not the first gen. Regardless, my indie mech will give me the scoop. His personal vehicle is a 2005 Tundra with 400K on the odometer, so he knows how to work on these vehicles. I'm surprised to see that so few people have had this issue. Every search turns up the dreaded rear hatch latch... been there/done that! :unsure:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts