Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My driver's side door has made a popping noise whenever you open or close it. It's been doing it for months, I always thought it needed to be lubed up. I finally got around to lubing it and it did nothing. Upon inspection, I noticed that the nuts holding the door tension had backed out. Tightened them (10mm) and it was good to go. Looks like Toyota used a thread locker on them but apparently that did no good. Don't have any lock-tite at the moment so I'll have to revisit them when I get some.

·
Registered
145 Posts
My driver's side door has made a popping noise whenever you open or close it. It's been doing it for months, I always thought it needed to be lubed up. I finally got around to lubing it and it did nothing. Upon inspection, I noticed that the nuts holding the door tension had backed out. Tightened them (10mm) and it was good to go. Looks like Toyota used a thread locker on them but apparently that did no good. Don't have any lock-tite at the moment so I'll have to revisit them when I get some.
Are you refering to the flat bar that keeps the door from swinging to far? I have the same thing and have lubed the heck out of it to no avail but never thought about bolts being loose

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Yes that's what he is referring to , I know I had the problem and posted about long ago and was lucky someone else posted a fix to it. Think I have only heard of it as an isuse on the 07 08 years.

Are you refering to the flat bar that keeps the door from swinging to far? I have the same thing and have lubed the heck out of it to no avail but never thought about bolts being loose

·
Premium Member
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, the black bar. I was gonna take a pic, but it's hard to get a camera in there. The lower nut was really loose, the top not so much.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
give it a silicone based lube, so dirt wont cling to it. makes all the difference in the world, and don't forget the hinges!
less stress on the bolts keeps them tight, and loc-tite on the bolts for me.

·
Premium Member
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Couldn't get a camera in to take a pic, then I thought about it and remembered that I have back doors. This is a pic of the back door, but it's the same. These are the nuts that back out over time.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I looked and thought they looked loose, saw y'all's comments and sure enough and 10mm took care of it. Thank you!!

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
The part is called the check arm. If you dont have any thread locker a wrap of teflon tape works just about as well.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
7 Participants
Trident39
Toyota Tundra Forums
Tundra Solutions Forum - the best community to talk, mods, price, repair and research your Toyota!
Full Forum Listing