Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Benny Hill
17,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never seen a TRD Tundra without the rubber Door Sill Protectors. One of the service guys said that all the TRDs come stock with them. My TRD DC did NOT. Has anyone out there gotten a TRD without them ??????

·
Premium Member
953 Posts
I have never seen a TRD Tundra without the rubber Door Sill Protectors. One of the service guys said that all the TRDs come stock with them. My TRD DC did NOT. Has anyone out there gotten a TRD without them ??????
Mine came without them but I added them about a month ago.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Mine came with the OVER priced carpeted floor mats for $178 but that INCLUDED the sill protector. I think that is the only way to get the sill protector from the factory is to order the carpeted floor mats.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
what does this sill protector look like? I have black plastic there.... is it different then that?

·
Benny Hill
17,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanx a lot guys. I wanted to check before I went to my dealer saying I was shorted by the factory.. It's nice to have facts behind you. Guess I'll have to order a set.
Thanx again........

·
Registered
229 Posts
Mine didn't come with them either. I want to buy some - does anyone know how they attach? Are they magnetic? Do they stick?

·
Premium Member
953 Posts
Mine didn't come with them either. I want to buy some - does anyone know how they attach? Are they magnetic? Do they stick?
They are adhesive backed. Clean the surfaces well, work in a well lighted area, follow the instructions and take your time. The adhesive is very strong so once they're down, they're down for good.

I bought mine from the dealer but they can be had on the internet (eBay, TRD Sparks, etc.) for less, just Google the description or P/N.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Best price I found when I got mine was at toyotapartsoutlet.com

I got several things from them; step boards, sill protectors, bed mat, cargo divider.

Everything was cheapest I could find.

Carl

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
My TRD didnt come with sill protectors. I had some 3M clear bra material left over from my install so I used that to do my door sills, front and rear.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I ordered Door Sill Protectors ToyotaPartsPeople.com - Genuine Toyota Parts and Toyota Accessories for my RCLB, and the install info sheet says...
  • Special Tools, Squeegee, Felt Block (3M) P/N 71606
  • Special Chemicals, Cleaner, 3M Prep Solvent-70
I have check with a couple of auto paint supply places and can not find these items.

From 3M web site...
3M™ Prep Solvent-70

Water-based; removes oil, wax, grease and silicone from primed or painted metal surfaces prior to coating.
I only need that cleaner for this very small jib... I sure do not need a gallon can!

Any suggestions?

Mike

·
Premium Member
1,323 Posts
You don't need it. Use Windex. The Tape on those protectors is extreamly strong. Once you apply them to the door sill they won't come off. Its the same tape they use to hold glass panels on some buildings.

·
Registered
148 Posts
THANKS... will do!

I wonder why the info sheet says, "Do not smooth part with hands."? ("Using a felt block; squeegee the...")

Mike
You don't need the squeegee. You can just use your hands, being very careful to not get any bubbles when applying (or a wood block wrapped in a cloth). Personnaly I wouldn't use Windex. Use isopropal alcohol, that way there is nothing left (residue) and you will get great adhesion.

·
Premium Member
953 Posts
You don't need the squeegee. You can just use your hands, being very careful to not get any bubbles when applying (or a wood block wrapped in a cloth). Personnaly I wouldn't use Windex. Use isopropal alcohol, that way there is nothing left (residue) and you will get great adhesion.
I used a folded up shop rag and it worked fine. I got a few small bubbles but I was able to work them out the the edge pretty quickly.

·
Premium Member
197 Posts
My TRD didnt come with sill protectors. I had some 3M clear bra material left over from my install so I used that to do my door sills, front and rear.
Where do I get the 3M bra stuff to install on the front of the hood? I live in Vegas where there is so much dirt & little rock pebbles throw around from the job sites & trucks that it's a must around here.

:ts:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Can anyone tell me if the door sill protectors have the Tundra logo or emblem on them, or are they just plain black?

1 - 20 of 64 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.