Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm sitting there with a potential buyer, he's kickin tires and I'm tellin how good the suspension is and all that sh#t........He goes to open the passenger door and it doesnt open. I pull out my clicker and press unlock twice, hear it click on the passenger side, he goes to open it again and still acts like it locked. I do it again, and again, and again. Then I go to the drivers side, press unlock on the door button, still nothing. Do that again and again. Then I go back to the passenger side, put in the key on the door and turn to unlock, still nothing!

He left, telling me he may buy if I fix the door. :mad: Has this ever happened to anybody? After he left I got in the truck and crawled over to passenger side, pulled the molding piece from around the handle/lock mechanism, and everything seems to be working fine. I watched the little cable move back and forth as I pressed lock/unlock, but the [email protected] still acts like its locked. A bit difficult to take off the door panel if the door won't open!

Any help?

·
Registered
234 Posts
Did you have a tow truck driver slimjim the truck open for you at one time (locked out)? The linkage has to be popped off the
latch mechanism. Not likely the latch wore out. The door panels are tricky the first time on any of the newer cars.
remove the screw from the handle bezel, with a taped screwdriver tip pry up the bezel right and the handle hinge pin, then the
lower side pry down. Pop the power window switch with a screwdriver from the rear. Unplug the wires. Pop the courtesy lite and
remove. With the same taped screwdriver pop the tweeter cover disconnect and remove the three screws. Up by the mirror pop
the two trim screw caps and remove the screws. Pry each of the 9 clips (3 rear , 5 bottom and 2 front) with your screwdriver right against the clip so you don't crack the panel clip hole. With the window down, hold the bottom of the door panel out a inch
or two to keep the clips clear and bang up on the bottom of it with your palm, it will go up and release off the window opening.
If your plastic cover is still intact like new use a single edge razor to cut the adhesive as you pull it away back at the latch area.
Try not to destroy it and don't remove it any further than you have too. It keeps noise and dust down. If the tab on the plastic
linkage clip is broken buy a new one. If the dealer doesn't have it in stock a bodyshop should have one, take yours to compare.
They make lefts and rights on some of them. hope this helps.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that reply, however, I have taken the door panel off before, and it is impossible to do if the door is shut...... You cannot get leverage anywhere for any of the clips. And no, a slim jim has never been used on this truck. It just happened out of nowhere.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Did you have a tow truck driver slimjim the truck open for you at one time (locked out)? The linkage has to be popped off the
latch mechanism. Not likely the latch wore out. The door panels are tricky the first time on any of the newer cars.
remove the screw from the handle bezel, with a taped screwdriver tip pry up the bezel right and the handle hinge pin, then the
lower side pry down. Pop the power window switch with a screwdriver from the rear. Unplug the wires. Pop the courtesy lite and
remove. With the same taped screwdriver pop the tweeter cover disconnect and remove the three screws. Up by the mirror pop
the two trim screw caps and remove the screws. Pry each of the 9 clips (3 rear , 5 bottom and 2 front) with your screwdriver right against the clip so you don't crack the panel clip hole. With the window down, hold the bottom of the door panel out a inch
or two to keep the clips clear and bang up on the bottom of it with your palm, it will go up and release off the window opening.
If your plastic cover is still intact like new use a single edge razor to cut the adhesive as you pull it away back at the latch area.
Try not to destroy it and don't remove it any further than you have too. It keeps noise and dust down. If the tab on the plastic
linkage clip is broken buy a new one. If the dealer doesn't have it in stock a bodyshop should have one, take yours to compare.
They make lefts and rights on some of them. hope this helps.
Aren't there screws holding the panel on that can only be removed with the door open?

·
Registered
234 Posts
Sorry I didn't realize it hadn't been opened yet. Try pulling hard on the cables once you have the inside handle off. Also the power lock actuator can be sticking from rust. Not near as common on the newer cars but we used to see it a lot. You are going to have to slimjim the latch itself. Use the one with a straight stiff pin or wire sticking out at a 90 degree to the slimjim. Don't be afraid
to push and pull. If it gets stuck it can really take some force to get it loose. I don't know how well they shielded these latches,
if you can talk to a tow truck driver, they aren't hard to find. ( also use a glass wedge to open a gap by the window. Makes
working the slimjim a lot easier) And by the way you can get the panels off most doors with them shut. It may require pulling
the seat and moving it out of the way some or running it back and forth on it's track and folding the back up and down throughout the job. It's a pita but I've done it on many cars over the years.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts