Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm considering a new Tacoma for my next truck/DD. Couple of issues I'm torn over. I would like to have more seating for passengers so I would obviously like a double cab. However, I really like having a 6ft bed (from having one on my current Tacoma AC), but then that leaves me with the access cab (with a useless rear seat) and a 6ft bed, or a double cab long bed (tons of $$$$ and awkwardly long to me not to mention they're impossible to find). THe double cab short bed looks great to me, but the 5' bed has me seriously concerned. Question is, with the bed extender do you basically regain the 6' bed? Besides having a closed tailgate, it seems the bed extender would make up for the smaller length. I'm not constantly hauling things, but when I do, I think the 6' bed would be nice. If I ever haul an ATV or motorcycle, I would just trailer it, so that's not an issue. Lumber, building materials, etc would be more of the concern for me. So the overall question is for those of you with double cab short beds, do you regret the shorter bed? Do you haul a lot in the bed?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Dude don't haul a ATV in the back the tail gate on my tacoma kinda bented from loading and unloading. I mean its not that bad to where i have to get a new one, but you can tell if you look at it for a min.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I was in same boat 2 1/2 yrs ago. Wanted a longer bed, but needed interior space, and also the 6spd. No regrets going from 6 ft ranger to the 5ft taco bed.

I can fit a good load of firewood, stone, or brush. My lawn tractor fits too. Mtn bikes, skiis, moving day its done it all. Yes, the 6 fter can take 20% more, but hell the payload on the truck is only 1100-1300 lbs anyway.

I also have a homemade bed extender which fits more than those tube ones (no more ski poles or pipes sliding out the back) With that, the bed is a full 6.5 ft

[/IMG]

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was in same boat 2 1/2 yrs ago. Wanted a longer bed, but needed interior space, and also the 6spd. No regrets going from 6 ft ranger to the 5ft taco bed.

I can fit a good load of firewood, stone, or brush. My lawn tractor fits too. Mtn bikes, skiis, moving day its done it all. Yes, the 6 fter can take 20% more, but hell the payload on the truck is only 1100-1300 lbs anyway.

I also have a homemade bed extender which fits more than those tube ones (no more ski poles or pipes sliding out the back) With that, the bed is a full 6.5 ft

[/IMG]
That's nice, I was considering just making one as well. How does that attach? To the cable hinge attachment? Any closeups?

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
That's nice, I was considering just making one as well. How does that attach? To the cable hinge attachment? Any closeups?
There are a few more pictures in his gallery.

Demoncleaner: How much did the supplies cost if you don't mind say? Did you just use plywood? Kinda hard to tell from the picture, is it 1/2" or 3/4"? If I end up making one, I think I would replace the metal brackets on the inside with hinges so it could be folded up for easier storage.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Cost was about $40. No plywood, went with solid wood. Not positive, but think its 3/4 wood. Here's some pics when I built it. To secure it, use gate hinges up top (gravity holds), and unlike string w/ clip in photo, have a double headed snap bolt (see below) which clips from extender to the Bed 'D' ring. When not in use, I hang on the garage wall by the snap bolts.

Tractor Supply Company - NATIONAL® DOUBLE BOLT SNAPS

Loaded up

·
Registered
141 Posts
Dude don't haul a ATV in the back the tail gate on my tacoma kinda bented from loading and unloading. I mean its not that bad to where i have to get a new one, but you can tell if you look at it for a min.
I don't mean to thread hijack here, but since it was brought up...

For those of you with quads, bikes, tractors, etc, why don't you just remove the tailgate when loading/unloading? The tailgate is flimsy, yeah, but it also comes off in about 30 seconds. Can't you remove it and put your ramps up against the end of the bed itself?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Wanted a long bed too, but it looked hideous (not to bash on the guys that do have it). Have the 6' bed and a double cab would be a major PITA to drive around with. So I'm goin to go with the bed extender in the future. But if you ask me, I haven't really needed one.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I got the DC Long Bed and I love it. You get used to driving it and it is nothing.

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
No regrets at all.. I don't haul alot but for around the house stuff, I have no problems.... It all depepnds what you want to use it for... If your a do-it-youself guy that constantly likes to work around the house, then go 6'... But for the occasional stuff that needs to be done, I have no problem with the short bed...

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Cost was about $40. No plywood, went with solid wood. Not positive, but think its 3/4 wood. Here's some pics when I built it. To secure it, use gate hinges up top (gravity holds), and unlike string w/ clip in photo, have a double headed snap bolt (see below) which clips from extender to the Bed 'D' ring. When not in use, I hang on the garage wall by the snap bolts.

Tractor Supply Company - NATIONAL® DOUBLE BOLT SNAPS
Where did you get the wood? I can't remember ever seeing solid wood at Home Depot or Lowes, maybe I missed it.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I don't mean to thread hijack here, but since it was brought up...

For those of you with quads, bikes, tractors, etc, why don't you just remove the tailgate when loading/unloading? The tailgate is flimsy, yeah, but it also comes off in about 30 seconds. Can't you remove it and put your ramps up against the end of the bed itself?
Thats is a really good idea i wish i would have done that. You would just think since trucks are made to haul stuff the tale gate could support a load. But i guess they wanted to make it lighter for MPG or something.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Where did you get the wood? I can't remember ever seeing solid wood at Home Depot or Lowes, maybe I missed it.
Those stores have solid wood. They have furniture-grade pine and birch, as well as some hardwoods. I think the only hardwood they carry now is oak. They used to have maple, too. I found the flamed maple that my wife & I used to build this guitar at home depot. The mahogany back came from WoodCraft.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
I found that if you take 1x2 boards, and double up the ends, and place them into those notches in the sides of the bed they work perfect to support plywood, sheet rock, etc. If you dont double up the ends the boards will not sit high enough.

This picture illustrates the notches I'm talking about, if I lost you...

Gallery :: Retrax Tonneau Cover :: RetraxCanisterPosition

Now that I've lost the use of the front set of notches, I'm going to cut up some boards that will be level to or higher than the wheel wells. The use of hinges will allow them to be folded up. When I go to pick up some plywood or whatever I can unfold the thing and position it so it can support the stuff without having the wood or sheet rock, etc sagging at the end, especially after they are secured down with tie downs which tends to put a lot of pressure onto the stuff.

They will be 3 sections to each one, the middle section will fit to the width of the bed (around 40-42" wide), the two ends will unfold to just create legs for the thing to stand up. When unfolded they will stand up about 9". I'll have to remeasure how high those wheel wells sit up. Simple but effective, at least I hope they will be. They will basically look like this:

|______|

If I dont use hinges perhaps they could be used together to form a box to keep things from sliding around in the back. Or perhaps, find two boxes that are just the right width and height, so they can be used to store tools and stuff and act as a plywood support. Dual purpose... hmm..

·
Registered
71 Posts
I don't regret the shortbox descision. I wrestled with the idea myself. Could only get the longbox in a sport model (a negative for me), and it's so damn long. They need a good 3 inches of lift and 285's not to look grandpa. My only drawback was I cant sleep in the back like i could with my 2000 standard cab. I think i'll just buy a nice tent!:tu:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts