Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just ordered a pair of Doug Thorley headers. I received them today and took a look inside the box. In addition to the headers were two short pieces of 3 hole flanged pipe, I assume these are for flanging to the header and cutting and welding into the stock y-pipe just past the flange.

Those of you that have installed them yourself, do the headers mate up directly to the stock y-pipe flange? Has anyone used and see the benefit of using these pieces? I am hoping to do the install myself.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
hi, if i were you, i would call DT directly & ask them.
until TS members start posting.
you will have the info right from the horses mouth.
this way you don't mess with the warrenty.
good luck,
gorilla

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Called Thorley, they said they have always had the flange adapters in the kit. They run their headers back as far as they can and expect the existing tubing to be cut 3/4 inch in front of the last weld at the cat.

I also stopped by the muffler shop to get a quote on the install, thinking if it is under $500 I should do it. My jaw dropped when they said $1,400. I will do it myself. If anyone here has installed these any tips?

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
The install isn't really that hard. There are some detailed install threads on here with pics and install tips. If you do them yourself, removing both motor mounts will save some time and cussing.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
hi, the shop looked up the said time ,to do the job.
so thats what they quoted you.
most exhaust shop's can do it in 1/2 that time.
call around. you should be able to get someone for 600.
if you do it, save youself alot of trouble, & print out all the info on this web site.
so it's with you, when you do it. it will help.
also buy oem gaskets. when you get into this, you will understand why, you do not
want to go back to retighten/re-torque the bolts.
good luck,
gorilla

Called Thorley, they said they have always had the flange adapters in the kit. They run their headers back as far as they can and expect the existing tubing to be cut 3/4 inch in front of the last weld at the cat.

I also stopped by the muffler shop to get a quote on the install, thinking if it is under $500 I should do it. My jaw dropped when they said $1,400. I will do it myself. If anyone here has installed these any tips?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts