Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed something on my new Tundra 5.7 6spd that I really like and has been missing on every other vehicle I've owned.

When I am descending a hill, and apply the brakes lightly to limit my speed, I feel the transmission downshift. It stays in the lower gear until I apply throttle.

This really helps on steep hills (cops like to run radar at the bottom of a large hill near my neighborhood).

I haven't seen anything about this in the manual, or heard anybody mention it.

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
I was surprised the first time my truck did this but I think it's a great feature. Not only does it help slow you down but the downshift makes my dual exhaust come alive. :D

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Yeah, ive also noticed this and really like it. Keeps the truck right in a good rpm range to cut down on throttle response lag.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I noticed something on my new Tundra 5.7 6spd that I really like and has been missing on every other vehicle I've owned.

When I am descending a hill, and apply the brakes lightly to limit my speed, I feel the transmission downshift. It stays in the lower gear until I apply throttle.

This really helps on steep hills (cops like to run radar at the bottom of a large hill near my neighborhood).

I haven't seen anything about this in the manual, or heard anybody mention it.
It is standard--I believe Toyota calls it "uphill/downhill shift logic". We have an '04 Honda Accord EX with this feature too. It's saved us from speeding on "the" hill many times. My Tundra sits at about 45 when I tap the brake--the exact speed limit.
mjg

·
Jedi Ninja in Training
8,309 Posts
I had to look at the tow/haul button the first time it happened for me, I think I may have said "what the hell" and I was by myself.

Cool feature, I just kind of wonder how it may affect the MPG.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I had to look at the tow/haul button the first time it happened for me, I think I may have said "what the hell" and I was by myself.

Cool feature, I just kind of wonder how it may affect the MPG.
How do you think it could affect MPG? Even though you'll be at higher RPMs due to a lower gear, I'm assuming you will be coasting downhill which should off set any potential MPG loses.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
It will effect MPG. I have a scangague and when I downshift the mpg drops, it is going to pull more fuel through, put it in neutral and coast with the dropping rpm's and the MPG goes over 100 mpg on the downhill or even a coast to a stop.

·
Jedi Ninja in Training
8,309 Posts
How do you think it could affect MPG? Even though you'll be at higher RPMs due to a lower gear, I'm assuming you will be coasting downhill which should off set any potential MPG loses.
Ya Know? I never really thought about it until you just called me out.
As smart and as knowledgeable we all think we are, I guess I just overlook the obvious sometimes. I always thought RPMs = extra fuel, but....

Foot not on accelerator pedal = no open throttle = no extra gas given to motor......Duh, can someone please pass the dunce cap.:eek:

·
Registered
8 Posts
noticed this right away, very useful while towing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts