Toyota Tundra Forums banner

Dreaded P0418 and P2445

17K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  hewitt-tech 
#1 ·
I did not know these were recurring issues on our Tundra's, but some Google searches for fix vids and it seems that they are.
Anyone know if 2011 with under 100K will still be warranty or am I out almost 4K....

#2 ·
Not to be an ass Killer because I can see you dont post much, but if you did a search first you would have gotten some good info. Like the fact that you dont have to spend 4K to fix it, you can buy a bypass kit for a fraction of that cost. I typed in P0418 in the search box and this is the second thread that came up. Same year as yours and Hewitt-Tech is the guy that sells bypass kits.

#3 ·
Not to be an ass Killer because I can see you dont post much, but if you did a search first you would have gotten some good info. Like the fact that you dont have to spend 4K to fix it, you can buy a bypass kit for a fraction of that cost. I typed in P0418 in the search box and this is the second thread that came up. Same year as yours and Hewitt-Tech is the guy that sells bypass kits.

I appreciate the not going to be an ass part, by pass kit does not work on flex fuel engines, never been a drop of that mess in mine, but that don't change the ECM programing.

I was wonding if anyone knew if it would be an warranty item before I stared calling the dealer service centers, good to have info to be informed when talking to the service manager.

#4 ·
#5 ·
Yup, the warranty numbers you quoted are right, but I also cant remember when it stopped. 2012 for sure but dont know about 2011.
Killer- Send a message to Hewitt and ask him. He's on here all the time, he's helpful, and it wont cost you a dime to ask him some questions. If you want to be informed before going to the dealer, he's the guy to ask.

#6 ·
You will need one of our Gen-II bypass kits for all flexfuel vehicles. The Gen-II also doesn't care about the P0418 code so no need for a kit addon like our current V36H for the 05-07 vehicles or the V54H for the 08-12 vehicles. We will be transitioning all 08 and newer vehicles to the GenII in the future. You can find them here:
If you have any questions contact us directly. Toll free 844-307-7671 or email support@hewitt-tech.com

#7 ·
Killer, I've been there, done that-----you have to contact Toyota or a dealership to find out if your 2011 VIN is covered. After being a 20+ year Toyota owner (2nd tundra & 3 more) I got the Toyota shaft treatment on my 2012 Tundra 4.6 with that lovely code at exactly 72k miles, nice big$$$$ repair bill out of pocket on well documented ongoing defect in Tundra production. And once again, 6 months and 3k miles later it's gone out again...secondary air pump P4018... and ...no dealer would go to bat even though every service tech says Toyota knows the problem has not been fixed in post 2010 Tundras, , and after weeks of back and forth with corporate (where they admit the defect continues well past the 2010 models)...I had the joy of paying for the repair a 2nd time.

My mechanic does not want to do the Hewitt bypass, and honestly while a cheap fix, I've read it can cause "other" codes to be thrown...but I don't know for sure since very few post about it's long term fix.

Needless to say, I am not happy with Toyota's stance on this issue, am out more on repeated repairs than I have ever spent on any vehicle that I have owned including my 2002 4runner with 250k + miles.. Until Toyota gets enough complaints filed against the secondary air pump issue for post 2010 models, they will not extend the warranty (those are Toyota's words). So, keep your receipts----maybe someday (when pigs fly) you will get reimbursed for your out of pocket repairs on their defective product.
After my 2nd experience stuck at the bottom of a hill, truck in limp-mode with my wife, and 2nd repair in 6 months, I filed a complaint with the U.S. DOT National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. You can do it too...if nothing else, your complaint will be registered along with many, many others for the same issue. Good luck!

#8 ·
My mechanic does not want to do the Hewitt bypass, and honestly while a cheap fix, I've read it can cause "other" codes to be thrown...but I don't know for sure since very few post about it's long term fix.
I would love to know more about this because I am pretty sure you are simply misinformed or confused with another solution.

The reason you don't hear about long term is because they are properly engineered to last at least as long as the vehicle. Nothing is perfect though so if there is a problem we have full tech support and cover them with a limited lifetime replacement warranty.
The main reason you don't hear about long term is just simply that people bypass the system and eventually completely forget about the problem.
The very first units I made are still out there in the wild as 7-8 year old electronics. Those would be what the V36H kits are now and they are practically bullet proof at this point and will likely not be updated again.
The GenII is expected to follow suit as the best solution for all vehicles moving forward and would be the much better solution for both your 4.6l vehicles than our current V54H kits for the 08-12 vehicles.
Give me a call to discuss a GenII. You should probably also find another mechanic so you don't keep waisting your money.

#9 ·
My 2011 was covered, but at 139000 miles. 4.6ltr.
As for the comment about search for the codes, I did for 3 days and found minimal info. Not sure why.

Brought to a mechanic got the shaft. Didn't know what it was and he said had to call his brother in Mi that had 22 years with Toyota. $890 got it back. That was only on of the pumps. Happened again a month later and then found the enhanced warranty. Toyo fixed it, and reimbursed me for the previous repairs.
Do believe it is 150k on the warranty. Sry.

#12 ·
Not that code. The 3 codes I've been seeing are P2441, P2443, P0441. Thanks for following up.

#16 ·
I did not know these were recurring issues on our Tundra's, but some Google searches for fix vids and it seems that they are.
Anyone know if 2011 with under 100K will still be warranty or am I out almost 4K....

Update:
Sorry for late update holidays and left down out of town had me busy..
So, I was going to just let it ride a while till spring when warmer out and get parts myself to fix it.. I had called two ATL area dealers never would return my call on the issue...

We went down to Dothan Al area for Thanksgiving with our Kids and Grands, wife took the truck, I took our Avalon. I had to come back before her due to work.
She calls me the day she is heading back about 6am, it had been cold down that morning following a warm spell...... Truck went into Limp mode!!!! out of the blue had been driving great!

I had her go back to our Daughters house and I drove down and got her Saturday, in the mean time my Son in Law who is the lead Mechanic at a Hyundai dealership, called the Toyota service and said he was bringing the truck over for them to look at.. they read the codes told my Son in Law that Toyota has extended the coverage on this issue to 150K, I was under 100K anyway so I was good.

They replaced the pumps and valve, all covered.. They did notice leaking water pump that was not leaking last time I checked her out, but I let them fix it while they had it torn into..

So it almost really bit me hard, but I was very fortunate in the over all picture.

Hope this info helps others.

#17 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.