Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering if anyone out there has an 04-06 Double Cab and has drilled into the roof of the cab to install either Thule or Yakima roof tracks. I want to be able to carry a kayak and surfboards but I have an Access roll-up tonneau cover on the bed.

I stopped in to the dealer I had the cover installed at and they told me there isn't much I can do in the way of adding ladder racks or any other kind of rack for over the bed because of the way the cover is installed.

Anybody have some suggestions?

·
Registered
112 Posts
No need to drill your roof - Yakima and Thule both make rack systems with feet that sit on your roof. You've checked those out and don't want to go down that path?

I had a great set of Thules on my 2000 Tundra access cab. These locking metal brackets came with the fit kit - they were built perfectly to snug into the door frame, which is what held the rack feet in place on the roof of the cab. They were buff and solid, and you could move them fore and aft a little bit too.

Later I drilled through my camper shell to mount a different set of racks to the roof of my camper. Did this because the wind noise of the racks over the cab was a little annoying.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I have not, I wish a beefy roof rack was an factory option with the crew max,,, course it would probably be held on with 4 sheet metal screws!

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
Access makes a tonneau that can be had with a low or cab high rack. Maybe they would make you a good deal. I almost got one and found a site that had them for hundreds off

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
My personal opinion is that mounting anything on the roof is a bad idea. Have you ever leaned on it and had the sheet metal cave in?? I have a pretty good dent in mine from just leaning on it with my arm while washing the roof.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
5,211 Posts
See if a TracRac will work for you.

·
Premium Member
6,873 Posts
I have a 00 model not a 04-06 but, I've drilled through my roof to install a custom roof rack using thule feet, thule bars and a heavy duty palet rack shelf.

Here's a link to what I did:

2000 SAC'ed Tundra

·
Premium Member
6,873 Posts
The wind noise must be horrendous with that, yes???
Not that I can tell but, then again I'm not worried about wind noise. My front end has a lot of wind resisitance. Right now, my 35" spare tire is stored in the basket.

·
Premium Member
765 Posts
How about taking the liner down and sticking DYNAMAT onto the ceiling to reduce wind noise?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts