Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 05 DC does not have grease fittings on the drive shaft. I am starting to have the common bump when stopping that many experience. The dealership I use does not want to pull my drive shaft to pack the yoke with grease to stop the problem. My question is what are my options:
Can I replace my yoke with a 4 x 4 yoke that has the grease fitting, are they the same?
Can I drill my yoke and install a grease fitting, and if so, where exactly do I need to put the fitting?
or, is my only option to pull the drive shaft and pack the yoke every 10 to 15K miles when it starts doing this again.
I wish they put grease fittings on the 2 x 4 , but unfortunately they don't, so I will have to take the matter into my own hands.
What do you guys think?

·
Registered
919 Posts
My 05 DC does not have grease fittings on the drive shaft. I am starting to have the common bump when stopping that many experience. The dealership I use does not want to pull my drive shaft to pack the yoke with grease to stop the problem. My question is what are my options:
Can I replace my yoke with a 4 x 4 yoke that has the grease fitting, are they the same?
Can I drill my yoke and install a grease fitting, and if so, where exactly do I need to put the fitting?
or, is my only option to pull the drive shaft and pack the yoke every 10 to 15K miles when it starts doing this again.
I wish they put grease fittings on the 2 x 4 , but unfortunately they don't, so I will have to take the matter into my own hands.
What do you guys think?
My 05 dc 4x has a bunch of zirk fittings for the drive shaft.

·
Registered
154 Posts
you can easily install a zerk fitting by drilling a hole.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I agree, they all should but the 2wd do not. Even the dealer agreed that it needs one, but would not even discuss installing one for me. He said it was not an option. Installing a grease fitting is easy enough, I just need to know where to put it.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I called another dealer and questioned the drive shaft situation on my DC. He agreed that the 4wd has the grease fittings, and that with the 4wd sitting a little higher, the shaft moves more in and out of the yoke , which in turn can cause the need for grease more often. He said on the 2wd that it is a sealed yoke, and that it should not ever need grease. Obviously he is mistaken. Also, he said that Toyota will not put a grease fitting on it for me. I guess I am back to taking matters into my own hands. I just have to find out where to put the fitting, I can handle the install of it.

·
Premium Member
882 Posts
be careful not to over grease. i think you need a small air bubble at the tip of the yoke to absorb shock or you can get a vibration when you hit bumps.

i agree, they all do need a fitting, though...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts