Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well. I took my 07 DC in the other day and had the Tranny flushed for 225$. Worth it to me, I tow a fifth wheel all the time.

Anyways, I complained about the thump from the drive shaft, I told them there was a TSB on it. The tech said he also heard it and it was very prominent. The service writer called the warranty company with me standing there and the Drive shaft replacement was authorized. Parts and labor = 1,900$ I'm just glad it'll get replaced under warranty. With as much towing as I do, I'd hate for something to happen at like 105k miles or something stupid. Just thought I'd let ya'll know.

I have 93k Miles with a 100k mile warranty.

Oh yeah, get this. The first service writer I talked to was about an 80 year old man. I told him about the thump he said, Oh we won't cover that, its normal in all of our trucks. I was like really? C'mon. I asked for another service writer.

·
Back from the dead!
1,778 Posts
Nice, not too shabby. You see the fluid from your tranny by any chance?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hey, can you describe the "thump"? I have had this weird issue that after I come off of a highway and stop at a light I sit there for a few seconds and then it feels like someone bumps into me from the rear. I had 4 other guys from work with me going out to lunch and they thought that is exactly what happened. I don't really hear anything, just feel "the bump". I thought it just might be the A/C disengaging but I don't know. Dealer didn't seem to know about it.

·
Registered
820 Posts
took my truck in due to the driveline clunk about 2 yrs ago when it was under warranty. they replaced the driveshaft and it did not fix it at all. there are alot of threads on this issue and i dont remember if anyone that had this problem got it fixed from the dealer. greasing the slip yoke worked for some,but eventually the bump returned. the funny thing is the bump never happens in the winter, just in the summer:eek:

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did not see the fluid , no. At least this way, the bump and fix is recorded. You'll notice more then anything when letting go of the gas and getting on it again. I notice it the most when towing.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
the bump will be back. all it was was the slip yoke being dry and needing to be lubed. it is "normal" they all do it...lube it up and it quits. after the lube wears off on the new driveshaft it will do it again. tons of threads on here about it. i just ignore it now.

oh and yes, it is the "smart car just rear ended me" feeling that we are talking about..that thump/bump thing.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
My brand new 2010 does this and my 04 did also, so I don't think its a big deal.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I once had a '98 Tacoma TRD automatic that would do the same thing. Stopped at a light, the light goes green, foot off the brake and felt like I just got tagged by the car behind me. Toyota service said grease the slip yoke.
One day, after pumping the slip yoke full of grease, I was just lying there under the thing, trying to figure all the possibilities when I got a wild idea. Disconnected the bottoms of both rear shocks to compare them, and found one of those Bilsteins had almost no resistance to compression. Replaced both shocks and no more driveline thump. For a while. after about 6 months, the thump returned. Pulled the shocks again - one bad one again. Shock had a warranty so got a free replacement. No more thump for the remaining 8 years I had the truck.
Might not be your problem, but thought I'd pass the info along. It's an easy thing to check.
If my Tundra develops this thump, it'll be the first thing I'll look into.

Steve

1 - 8 of 8 Posts