Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

As I said in the title, the little green light that illumimnates the "D" in the instrument cluster is out. Is this an easy fix? If there is a DIY could someone be so kind to let me know? Dealer wants $150 to replace a friggin light bulb.

·
Registered
661 Posts
very simple to do....for most people.
take the trim piece off from around the "glass". typically, it will have
a couple or four screws holding it on. then a socket to remove the cluster.
disconnect the plug(s) and move the "L" bulb to the "D" slot.
reverse procedure and test drive. the bulb may have a green cover
that you have to transfer to the new bulb. lowering the steering wheel
to the lowest position normally helps and don't turn on the key. yspert

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just had my Drive and Park lights replaced for about 100 bucks at the dealer. I hope they last! If I'm parked and have the key turned to the accessory position to let my kids listen to music while we're parked, I noticed that the Park light is on. No wonder the bulb doesn't last long! Anyone else noticed this, or is something wired wrong in my Sequoia?

·
Registered
19 Posts
My drive light went out about 8 months ago, same thing the dealer wanted over $100 bucks to change the lights. I just have lived without it so far,,it's only one light.. I may attempt what Yspert says.. if I do all that work though I will change all the bulbs. no point doing one and a month later the park light burns out.. Does anyone know the part number for the bulbs? or what type they are? Thanks.. for bringing up this topic.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had to special order the bulb through the dealership. I'll look at the paperwork and update with the part #.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am a COMPLETE idiot when it comes to stuff like this but when my dealership told me it "was a 2 hour job" (over $200 here in Northern California) I did it myself and it only took me 45 min and again - I am a complete HACK!

·
Premium Member
1,243 Posts
I need to change mine also one of these days. I wonder if superbrightleds.com has an led version.

Anybody know if the bulbs are the same for the overhead console? I have 3 of those out also.

·
Registered
36 Posts
My Drive (D) light went out about a year ago. The dealer also wanted $100 to replace. He mentioned it was fairly common. It took a few weeks to get used to, but I just simply decided that if there is no light, then I am in Drive. Oddly enough, two weeks ago, at least a year later, the light started working again, without changing it. Very strange. :tu: Perhaps others can hope for the same. If I remember correctly, there is a thread about how to change it. Or there used to be a thread, and like Triple602 mentioned, it seemed easy enough.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I just had my Drive and Park lights replaced for about 100 bucks at the dealer. I hope they last! If I'm parked and have the key turned to the accessory position to let my kids listen to music while we're parked, I noticed that the Park light is on. No wonder the bulb doesn't last long! Anyone else noticed this, or is something wired wrong in my Sequoia?

It isn't the wiring in the Sequoia this is very common to all Toyotas, my Land Cruiser, 4runner, and Avalon all where the same.

Just remember no light means your in drive and life is good.

·
Premium Member
322 Posts
We have a 2003 Sequoia that has the Drive indicator light out. I just bought two new bulbs, figuring I'd have one spare. I went in to replace the bulb and followed the directions until I got to the steering wheel removal, since I didn't have a steering wheel puller. What a bunch of B.S. Wow. The procedure is about an extra hour of "busy work" that does not need doing. It has one remove the following that DO NOT NEED TO BE REMOVED...
Front Door Scuff Plate
Cowl Side Trim Board
Side Panel
Front Pillar Garnish
Steering Wheel Pad
Steering Wheel
Combination Switch
All that needs to be removed to get the instrument cluster out is ...
Lower Finish Panel
Cluster Finish Panel

and then finally, the

Combination Meter (which is what they call the instrument cluster).
You can remove the Combination Meter with just loosening the right side of the Lower finish panel and pulling it out away from the ignition switch. This frees up the Cluster Finish Panel.

After doing all this, I discovered that we have a similar problem that many of you already posting in this thread have. I replaced the "D" bulb (Toyota Part #83120-04090 = same part number for all the shift position bulbs in the 2003 Sequoia - and probably the Tundras, too since their Combination Meters look exactly the same). After replacing the bulb, I "test drove" it before reassembly, and to my surprise, the bulb is still out. I then swapped the "D" bulb with the "2" bulb, and the "D" bulb is still out but the "2" bulb works. Looks like it wasn't the bulb after all.

Any ideas what it is?

·
Premium Member
322 Posts
Well, after getting a response in another thread with an idea of what the problem might be, I fixed it in 15 minutes. The bottom bulb in the series of bulbs for the shift indicator is not "1", it is the "Over Drive Off". I was replacing the "2" bulb, not the "D" bulb. After another member pointed this out, I had it fixed in 15 minutes.

Thanks again, TundraSolutions!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Mine went out too. I didn't bother with it and it started working again. Toyota Engineers are smart. They made the Sequoia so that it fixes itself!

·
Registered
74 Posts
I will have to try the moving up of the "2" bulb. I also want to try to find an aftermarket LED replacement, so it isn't costing $100 every time it goes out.

·
Premium Member
322 Posts
I will have to try the moving up of the "2" bulb. I also want to try to find an aftermarket LED replacement, so it isn't costing $100 every time it goes out.
$100? The part is only a couple bucks and it is easy as pie to pop the dash panel in and out.

·
Premium Member
322 Posts
...tell that to my dealer. $89 for the bulb alone (at least that's what I was quoted over the phone).
My cost on that bulb is $4.29. I'll sell it to you for $80. ;-)

J/K. The part number is 83120-04090. Call your parts department and ask them what it costs. Your retail cost should be about 20-35% more than my wholesale cost, but not 2000% more than my wholesale cost!

·
Registered
74 Posts
It is possible that they automatically included labor in with my request. I cannot see anyone with a markup that large!

·
Premium Member
322 Posts
It is possible that they automatically included labor in with my request. I cannot see anyone with a markup that large!
It is possible. Seriously though, just do it yourself. In the thread above, see what you need to remove.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts