Toyota Tundra Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Let's make sure you lubed the right part of the drive shaft. The U-joints need grease, but greasing the U-joints doesn't solve the problem, because that's not where the problem is.

See the attached .pdf file, which I scanned from the service manual.

The rear drive shaft is in two sections: a front section and a rear section. The rear section is in two parts, which fit together as a male/female joint with splines, just in front of the rear U-joint. I've circled that joint. As the springs flex and the axle moves up and down, the driveshaft grows longer and shorter, the length change being taken up by the splined joint.

The problem is that splined joint is dry. When you stop, the rear leaf springs wind up a bit, storing energy, and are held in that position by the brakes and the drive shaft. After a bit, that splined joint slips a bit, the springs unwind a bit, and the truck feels a bit as if it were bumped slightly from behind.

The cure is to grease that splined joint. The zerk for greasing it sticks out of the rear yoke like a sore thumb, right behind the splined joint. The cure is in the details about how you grease it. Give it about 25-35 squirts from the grease gun, watching the joint as you do. When you've greased it enough, it should start to push the two parts of the joint apart, and you can see it do so. This will begin to force the grease into the splines, and that is what solves the problem.

Is there a particular type of grease that should be used here? Curious as to what is specified by the service manual. Thanks!

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have this problem on my newly acquired 05, but it’s a 2wd...no zerk fittings. What do I do?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Let's make sure you lubed the right part of the drive shaft. The U-joints need grease, but greasing the U-joints doesn't solve the problem, because that's not where the problem is.

See the attached .pdf file, which I scanned from the service manual.

The rear drive shaft is in two sections: a front section and a rear section. The rear section is in two parts, which fit together as a male/female joint with splines, just in front of the rear U-joint. I've circled that joint. As the springs flex and the axle moves up and down, the driveshaft grows longer and shorter, the length change being taken up by the splined joint.

The problem is that splined joint is dry. When you stop, the rear leaf springs wind up a bit, storing energy, and are held in that position by the brakes and the drive shaft. After a bit, that splined joint slips a bit, the springs unwind a bit, and the truck feels a bit as if it were bumped slightly from behind.

The cure is to grease that splined joint. The zerk for greasing it sticks out of the rear yoke like a sore thumb, right behind the splined joint. The cure is in the details about how you grease it. Give it about 25-35 squirts from the grease gun, watching the joint as you do. When you've greased it enough, it should start to push the two parts of the joint apart, and you can see it do so. This will begin to force the grease into the splines, and that is what solves the problem.

I conducted this procedure on my truck (06 with 245k miles) after the driveline clunk when stopped. I've had a low drum at highway speeds for years and it cured that as well. Who knew such a little thing could cause so many problems! Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
6 Posts
2001 Access Cab 4.7 with 320K

Got this for 2k about 1.5 years ago. Prior owner had recently replaced the radiator, front discs & brake pads, and added a leveling kit and brush guard. I believe I got a great deal. As of now only mechanical Ive had is 1 ign coil and plugs replaced.

This thread seems to have helped me... maybe. I dont sense a "bump" but more of a very slow speed grind when applying brakes. I can feel it thru the brake peddle and definitely feels like a gear or spline grind. Always happens at parking lot speed or when approaching the first stop exiting my driveway. After driving a bit I never got the grind until the first drive the next day. Was happening weekly then more often until it became constant.

Per this thread I greased up the zerk at the propeller shaft with about 20 pumps. I saw it expand about 1/4 inch. Seems to have cleared the situation and will add another 20 or so later today.

My question. Although it seems to have cleared,,,,, my symptoms did not match the "bump" or rear end tap as described by others here.

When mine first happened it felt more like a cable was caught in the drive shaft and snapped. After than it was the grind.

Hope i took care of it ... for now.

Thx
Mi3

·
Registered
6 Posts
Im still having this very slow roll grind. 2001 AC Limited 4x4 4.7 w 316k mi

This first occurred in a parking lot barely rolling year ago. Felt like a bolt broke or a cable snapped, almost as if a cable had wrapped around a wheel assembly then popped.

The slow roll grind/slip is happening daily. Sometimes while stopped I can feel this in the brake pedal. I ONLY happens at very slow roll. Never at speed above 2-3 mph. Definitely feels forward of the cab.

I have kept the propeller shaft full of grease. When I greased the zerk it expanded a good 1". I've not experienced a bump at stop.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts