Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all.

I just bought an 06 Dcab 4x4 TRD, 27k on the odo, and have some questions. There is a weird driveline vibe that occurs when I release the brakes at a stop light, and when the transmission shifts. It feels like the Transmission mount is spongy, allowing everything to flop around, producing a shimmy.
I have searched and read that the drive shaft needs to be lubed, which I did to no effect. While I was under there, I inspected the tranny mount, and carrier bearing. I could move the rear of the transmission 1/4”-1/2” by pushing up on the driveshaft. I also noticed the driveshaft does not sit in the center of the bearing, it sits in the bottom third, and can also be moved up by pushing on it.

Are these things normal for the driveline? I have to believe that all this play is what is giving me my vibes. I am still under powertrain warranty, so hopefully if anything is wrong, I can get it fixed while I still have the old truck to drive.

Thanks for any ideas.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have an 2005 and I noticed the drive shaft support was loose when I shook it. The dealer said its normal. This doesent make sense to me, but it came from two mechanics I asked while standing at the parts counter??????

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Have the steering rack bushing been swapped out to polymer bushings? i just did mine and have gotten rid of a little of the engineered vibration due to the slop in the steering with the OEM bushings. Would not hurt to do a dynamic road force balance on the tires if they are in good shape depth wise! Alignments are overlooked and need to be done at least once a year! Amazing though how much those new polymer bushings have helped my ride! I went with the Energy Suspension brand mostly because that is what my alignment shop sold and had in stock and they said these were actually a tad different than the TC set which is also a good set! I would check to see if the wheel weights were still in place and check the brake pads which i just had done also and they were 75% gone at 50K so it stops really nice now and the rears had hardly worn at all! Toyota changed out my complete steering rack at 29K because it was leaking really bad! That is when i should have done those bushings for the rack to polymer ones but i had a senior moment and did not do them and i ruined a set of Michellins but they only vibrate a little but will not road force balance now within limits but still using the tires!:blabla: Later!

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It’s definitely not the tires, as the vibration is only after those two specific events I described above, and it only lasts for a few seconds, not the entire time driving.
I will say however, that the previous owner did not rotate the tires until right before I bought it. The front tires(now on the back) have terribly rounded outside edges, that I thought was due to bad driving, but you’re saying there is an issue with the Rack Bushings?

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
If they were crossed when they were moved to the rear of the truck that would probably mean that the insides were actually the sides that were wearing abnormally which is exactly what my tires did! Yep these trucks are notorious for slop in those bushings per my alignment tech and i new this before he told me but just was not sure what the problem was until he mentioned how lame the rack bushings were and he showed me while he had it raised and when the wheels were turned lock to lock the bushings were very sloppy! he said this basically keeps the front end from ever being in alignment due to the constant bushing play which is a lot!

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
If they were crossed when they were moved to the rear of the truck that would probably mean that the insides were actually the sides that were wearing abnormally
Actually, it would've been the outside wearing abnormally even if they were crossed when rotated...unless they dismounted the tires from the wheels and flipped them around.:D

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Hey all.

I just bought an 06 Dcab 4x4 TRD, 27k on the odo, and have some questions. There is a weird driveline vibe that occurs when I release the brakes at a stop light, and when the transmission shifts. It feels like the Transmission mount is spongy, allowing everything to flop around, producing a shimmy.
I have searched and read that the drive shaft needs to be lubed, which I did to no effect. While I was under there, I inspected the tranny mount, and carrier bearing. I could move the rear of the transmission 1/4”-1/2” by pushing up on the driveshaft. I also noticed the driveshaft does not sit in the center of the bearing, it sits in the bottom third, and can also be moved up by pushing on it.

Are these things normal for the driveline? I have to believe that all this play is what is giving me my vibes. I am still under powertrain warranty, so hopefully if anything is wrong, I can get it fixed while I still have the old truck to drive.

Thanks for any ideas.

first thing i'd do is what HOGWILD said, inspect the brakes. the tires being worn as you said could be the result of how the previous owner used (treated) the brakes combined with not rotating the tires. a slightly warped rotor(s) can create weird sensations at different speeds. check for uneven wear on the brake pads too.

do you experience the same symptoms when in 2wd and 4wd?

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
I could move the rear of the transmission 1/4”-1/2” by pushing up on the driveshaft. I also noticed the driveshaft does not sit in the center of the bearing, it sits in the bottom third, and can also be moved up by pushing on it.
I checked mine and the tranny doesn't move at all when pushing on the drive shaft. How much play do you have at the carrier bearing? A little bit is normal. I would think a bad carrier bearing could eventually cause excessive wear on the tranny mount and vice versa. I'd take it in since it's under warranty. I also recommend the above mentioned upgrade to poly bushings, even if that isn't the cause of your vibration. I replaced mine with the Energy Suspension bushings. I was surprised with the improvement considering the originals only had about 36K on them.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Guys. I will get under it and take some pics of the parts movement. I also noticed something last night. It was the first time I had driven it in serious rain, and spinning from a stop sign produced bad axle hop. Another sign things are not where they are supposed to be I guess... Pinion angle might be too low.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Alright, got some pics. The center bearing moves more than pictured due to the fact that I could only use one hand to push on it.
According to the pictures, the movements are around 1/4" on the tranny mount, and about 1/2" on the bearing. Can anyone tell me if this is normal, and if I can do anything about it?

Attachments

·
2015 Toyota Tundra DC SR5 5.7L
8,537 Posts
According to the pictures, the movements are around 1/4" on the tranny mount, and about 1/2" on the bearing. Can anyone tell me if this is normal, and if I can do anything about it?
I've yet to get a definitive, straight answer to this question from the people who should know. The carrier bearing, because it is a metal component jammed inside a rubber bushing, must have some play by its nature. How much? 1/8"? 1/4"? Who the **** knows. If it was my rig, a 1/2" would be too much for my comfort just based on common sense.

When a dealer service writer uses the words "it's normal", right away I know he is 1. guessing, or 2. completely full of ****.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Alright, I finally got some time to take a video and edit it. It seems like the whole drivetrain moves alot more than I would like. The video is long, and is shot from 3 different angles: end of transmission, carrier bearing, and rear end.

Any comments are appreciated.

YouTube - Truck

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Double Post

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What do you mean?

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Bump... is all that movement normal? Yea or Nea?

·
7,925 Posts
It’s definitely not the tires, as the vibration is only after those two specific events I described above, and it only lasts for a few seconds, not the entire time driving.
I will say however, that the previous owner did not rotate the tires until right before I bought it. The front tires(now on the back) have terribly rounded outside edges, that I thought was due to bad driving, but you’re saying there is an issue with the Rack Bushings?

I would like to know as well. Something you said in your post resonated with me. I have a vibration that is occasional but when present it vibrates for 2 seconds and then is smooth for the next 2 seconds. Is this what you have? Mine occurs on the highway at 70+ MPH.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
No, mine only happens on take off and during the shift from 1st to 2nd, and sometimes from 2nd to 3rd. Like the drivetrain is reverberating from the shock of the sudden torque. Nothing at speed that I am aware of

1 - 18 of 18 Posts