Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello anyone that has some advice,
I have a 2002 Sequoia 102k mi. changed timing belt/pump @ 90k have and expired warranty
A couple days ago I noticed that there was a loud noise coming from the drivers side of the engine. It's a fast tick tick tick tick type of sound. When I noticed it I turned off the vehicle then re-started it. the noise was gone. However the next time I drove it, approx. 3 miles, I noticed the noise again. I popped the hood with it running and could not figure out where this noise is coming from. I turned it off then on again, and again the noise went away.
I did some digging in forums and it seems the most likely culprit may be a manifold but I'm only getting a loud noise. My exhaust seems to be the same as usual as far as color is concerned, there's no fluids leaking (oil/coolant) and the truck seems to run like it always does. Has anyone out there experienced anything similar? I'd really love to not spend $200 plus just to have the dealer tell me they can't find anything. But I'm also worried if I don't get this diagnosed properly I'm going to have a huge bill on my hands. Thanks in advance for any of your time and help.

few things to note. the clicking noise is not the normal knocking associated with normal operation of the vehicle. on mine it's came from the passenger side from day one and that noise is still the same as it ever was. Also, the noise isn't intensified due to a leaky drive axle boot as i had to get that whole assembly replaced about 9 months ago.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Next time it does it, take a hose and put it up to your ear and move the hose around the engine to where you hear it the loudest. You may have to plug your other ear. It works and really narrows down the problem area quickly.

Keep us posted on what you find. Chances are it has happened to someone else before!

·
Registered
113 Posts
I had the same issue, replaced oe manifolds with headers and problem was gone.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Do a search for relocating the fuel injector ground wire. It is a 5 min job and there is a very high probability that is the problem. Hard to believe a tick can come from a ground connection, but believe me it can.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts