Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this topic is pretty well covered, and I've done the searches and applied the suggested fixes over the last couple of years. Nonetheless, I'm still getting the spot shown in the photo when it rains. I can't find any source above the area at all. Except for the pictured spot, everything else seems to be dry. Anybody have a similar leak? Thoughts? Thanks.

Attachments

· Registered
1,365 Posts
I had leaks on both sides of the truck and from reading everything I thought it was the leak above the AC fan. I took everything completely apart and could not get it to leak from there and even when I left everything off and we had rain it wouldn't leak from that area. I took the outside air intake below the windshield washers apart thinking it was a leak coming from the area above the fan and it wasn't.

Have you had your windshield replaced? I have about 10 years ago so I started thinking. Do you have condensation above your vin plate on the lower front drivers windshield after it rains? I figured it out by putting 2" electrical tape across the top of the windshield and over the rain gutters and the leak stopped is it was coming from there. From what I can figure out is the rain was getting into the channel on the roof and they were directing water toward the top sides of the windshield and water was getting inside and running down the piller and under the dash and it dripped from there. I took off the door moulding at the side windshield that will reveal 4 phillips screws to take off the side pieces and pulled the top foot or so off at the top of the windshield and put a small amount of black silicone where the water was getting under the front windshield. What was nice is I had Husky Floor liners and they would just collect the water so no wet carpet

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response! Yes, I have had the windshield replaced 10+ years ago, and I had to put some sealant at the top center a couple of years ago because of water leaking into the overhead light/storage compartment. I'll follow up on your suggestion. (Note that I also have Husky mats, but the leak misses by a couple of inches outboard of the driver side mat.)

· Registered
1,365 Posts
Did you ever notice any condensation where you can see through the windshield and your vehicle VIN? I have the husky mats that are large trays and go to the very edge of the door which are quite different from yours. I never paid much attention until my alarm shorted the high pitch piezo speaker because of the water getting into the dash area.

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No, I really haven't seen any unusual condensation around the VIN plate (or anywhere else). When I overcome my massive inertia (intentional physics joke), I think I'll go after the top of the windshield with some flowable silicone sealer (again). That's what fixed the leak into the center overhead panel. Based on your experience, I'll work on the top corner area of the windshield this time. Thanks again for your responses, as it got me thinking outside the take off the cowl (again) and work on the fasteners (again) paradigm.

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, figured out the source of the leak, and silicone sealer wasn't going to help. My replacement windshield was still under warranty 13 years later, so I gave them a call and they came out and removed the windshield, found lots of surface rust (but nothing deep or perforating) all across the top beneath the windshield seal. They brushed down to white metal, primed, and installed a new windshield, all for zero dollars. It'll sit in the garage for at least two days, and then through the car wash to check. Don't know how long it'll hold, but I'm sure pleased with the service received--had to be $300 worth of glass & labor. For info to others with a similar problem, I'd been chasing minor leaks for a couple of years at least (center windshield into the overhead console, minor trickle directly in front of the driver, and then this leak down the A pillar) with no external indication of rust along the roof line.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.