Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, well I was fortunate enough to pick up a leather steering wheel with both audio/bluetooth and climate control buttons on it. Though I'm planning on activating the audio/bluetooth buttons, I'll skip the climate control since mine is manual anyway.
However, does anybody know if there are any options to actually cutting the airbag cover for the steering wheel? Is there a way to do a swap or even a buy/sell with the airbag? If so, can anybody point me to a resource for where to begin with this? My searches have been frustrating. I can't seem to find what I'm looking for and it seems that swapping out the plastic cover is not an option (even if it were, I wouldn't even know where to get a new one from as I can't find any place that sells them). :(

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Generally, the airbag cover is an integrated part of the airbag. I haven't had the airbag out of a Tundra, but I'm pretty sure you can't cut on it. If you did, and were in an accident, the insurance co could deny a claim if the airbag had been tampered with. I know there is a black market for airbags so make sure the one you get is a working airbag, not a cover that has been repaired over a deployed bag. I would only trust a known good unit or a new one. When you do the install, disconnect the battery and wait for all the controllers to go to sleep before starting the work.

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts

·
Back from the dead!
1,778 Posts
^^Maylon should be the Offical TS Search Guy... :p

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts
^^Maylon should be the Offical TS Search Guy... :p
At least I'm not a smart azz about it most of the time. I just find the thread because there is almost always already a thread..... :D

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
At least I'm not a smart azz about it most of the time. I just find the thread because there is almost always already a thread..... :D
Thanks man! I've seen that thread before and was following it closely, but was just wondering if there were actually other options available. The site that was listed as having an airbag cover was good only if you wanted to forgo having an airbag altogether, and I haven't been able to find reliable pricing for alternatives from the sites that were mentioned for whole-hog airbag replacements (nor whether I am allowed to sell back the airbag either).

This is looking more and more like I'm going to have to "cut" the cover to accommodate the switches...

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Sounds like those audio/bluetooth controls are pretty important considering you're willing to risk the deactivation of an airbag for one!

Hope all goes well and you can find a way around it... but it seems like a complete PITA to have to do all that.

-rockstate

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sounds like those audio/bluetooth controls are pretty important considering you're willing to risk the deactivation of an airbag for one!

Hope all goes well and you can find a way around it... but it seems like a complete PITA to have to do all that.

-rockstate
Honestly they're not that important... I just wanted the leather steering wheel. But cutting the cover in no way affects the deployment of the airbag. That is a different matter all together. It is just a cosmetic thing. Mostly I'm just not wanting to cut the plastic if I can find away to avoid doing so without it costing a lot. If not, I'll just cut it out or maybe try to figure a way to remove the controls if I'm really not that comfortable with cutting. The airbag itself is located more in the center and is easily bypassed when making the cuts...

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Honestly they're not that important... I just wanted the leather steering wheel. But cutting the cover in no way affects the deployment of the airbag. That is a different matter all together. It is just a cosmetic thing. Mostly I'm just not wanting to cut the plastic if I can find away to avoid doing so without it costing a lot. If not, I'll just cut it out or maybe try to figure a way to remove the controls if I'm really not that comfortable with cutting. The airbag itself is located more in the center and is easily bypassed when making the cuts...
Ah, I see. I wish Toyota would have just given us a leather steering wheel. The sweet cushiony steering wheel they gave us which GM used in the '90s on their Silverados before airbags were awesome.. in the '90s.

-rockstate

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ah, I see. I wish Toyota would have just given us a leather steering wheel. The sweet cushiony steering wheel they gave us which GM used in the '90s on their Silverados before airbags were awesome.. in the '90s.

-rockstate
Couldn't agree more!! Points sent... only thing I wish they did with the leather steering wheel is make it a little beefier...

·
Registered
148 Posts
The controls come out with two screws (one on each side) and you would have to unplug the harness as well.

I trimmed my cover and it was a PITA. I laid out where I was going to cut and then cut 1/8 - 1/4" smaller and repeatedly test fit the controls until I was happy with it or overcut lol Its not perfect, but it is what it is.

·
Registered
17 Posts
You can remove the buttons with a couple of screws and unplugging them and then use your original airbag. If you choose to go this route, I'd be interested in buying those controls from you.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts