Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
I get this same thing all the time. More on the passenger side. Just when I think it's forever stuck, it will start working again. I can see it move a tiny bit when I use the buttons, and I can hear some kind of motor or servo or something working, but the mirror just won't move more than a millimeter. I have the impression that something is slipping. Mine is an '05 limited also. Retract also works fine. Anyone know a trick to make the mirrors more reliable?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Am I the only one with this problem? It still consistently happens. Sometimes just one direction stops working (e.g. today I can't move the passenger side mirror up, but down and both side directions work fine). A week ago, it was all working fine.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Ok, I think I'm onto a pattern with this problem that has been vexing me for years. The mirrors work fine when the temperature is colder. They stop working (various actions) as it is warmer. It's not always the same (sometimes up/down works first, sometimes side/side, sometimes left, sometimes right).

This is my working theory as I have noticed this season that as the weather has cooled, the mirrors have started working. Especially in the morning. If I leave it parked in the sun in the afternoon, they stop working (so far).

I did take it to the dealer when it was under warranty years ago for this issue. They couldn't reproduce the issue and when I picked it up, I couldn't either. It's a 2005. Any ideas how to fix it on my own without replacing the mirrors? What is the best argument to try to get the dealership/Toyota to fix it?

·
Registered
68 Posts
In case anyone else has this issue, I finally fixed it on my vehicle. The fix involved disassembling the mirrors, removing some plastic gears and sanding down the axles so that it wasn't so tight in the plastic housing that holds them in place. There are two in each mirror: one for horizontal and one for vertical movement. I'm not sure what the cause was - perhaps a bad batch of plastic that swelled a bit, or maybe different sets of molds were paired wrong during manufacturing. The gears were so tight that only cold weather was shrinking things enough for them to move. Anyhow, I took video and pictures to be able to write it all up if anyone else has this problem. I don't suspect it's widespread because I never found any other info about it from other sources.

Total time to fix each side was about 2 hours. I used a drill as a poor man's lathe to keep the plastic circular while sanding and polishing it.

·
Registered
2005 Sequoia 4x4 Limited
483 Posts
How did you take the mirror glass off?

·
Registered
1 Posts
In case anyone else has this issue, I finally fixed it on my vehicle. The fix involved disassembling the mirrors, removing some plastic gears and sanding down the axles so that it wasn't so tight in the plastic housing that holds them in place. There are two in each mirror: one for horizontal and one for vertical movement. I'm not sure what the cause was - perhaps a bad batch of plastic that swelled a bit, or maybe different sets of molds were paired wrong during manufacturing. The gears were so tight that only cold weather was shrinking things enough for them to move. Anyhow, I took video and pictures to be able to write it all up if anyone else has this problem. I don't suspect it's widespread because I never found any other info about it from other sources.

Total time to fix each side was about 2 hours. I used a drill as a poor man's lathe to keep the plastic circular while sanding and polishing it.
Did you post a video anywhere? Can you post a link? I think I'm having the same exact problem with my mirrors.

·
Registered
3,576 Posts
I know I saw a thread on here not that long ago where a guy actually made a video and posted it. It was awesome how detailed it was in how to pull apart the mirror and replace the gears or whatever to fix it. If I can find it I will post it here too. It should be its own DIY.
Here's one to start that might help.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts