Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i bought my truck brand new in 2007 and never had a driveshaft clunk well last year at 35K i wanted to get my driveshaft repaired because of a TSB on it leaking at the yoke from that point on i had a clunk from time to time after coming to a stop .. last week i brought the truck in to my shop and put it on a lift to check everything before i trade it in and i noticed that the center support bearing had alot of play in it ... (meaning if i pushed it up and down the driveshaft moved quite a bit) so i took it to the dealer because it was still under warrenty and they wanted to change the center support bearing only they did that but i decided to call toyota corporate and express my concerns that it seems unlikely that the center support bearing got worn out in 11K miles and i asked them to either balance my driveshaft or replace it with a new balanced shaft .. they agreed and gave me a new driveshaft i picked it up last week and now i have no clunk or vibration at all .. just wanted to give you guys a heads up as to what your problem may be :D

also took the truck to carmax last night and they gave me a really good offer so my truck will be gone in the next few days and i hope to get a crewmax 4x4 Limited to replace it :devil:

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Very interesting, mine developed a sort of growl between 40-50 that remains even when the engine is turned off. It did not make the sound when I put it up on jackstands, I wonder if this may be a road to go down, sadly I am over 60K now so I may be SOL. I did report the clunk to the dealer at 35K checkup.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
You get in Toyota's face about "anything" these days and they'll likely listen.
If the local Stealership attempts to shrug it off or blow irrelevant smoke up your chimney just mention the local news channel ;)

Toyota is currently/publicly shaking more then a dog crapping a peach seed.

Very interesting, mine developed a sort of growl between 40-50 that remains even when the engine is turned off. It did not make the sound when I put it up on jackstands, I wonder if this may be a road to go down, sadly I am over 60K now so I may be SOL. I did report the clunk to the dealer at 35K checkup.

·
Premium Member
1,530 Posts
Cool .

·
Premium Member
2,395 Posts
Great to hear you've narrowed it down!

Not to hijack, but what's the situation with the throttle issue you had a while back - any luck with that?

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great to hear you've narrowed it down!

Not to hijack, but what's the situation with the throttle issue you had a while back - any luck with that?

after they changed my engine harness i never had it happen to me again .. i just had the recall done last week and if carmax wasnt buying my truck i would be taking it back to get the whole petal replaced (the gas petal is too sensative now ) i still say this whole shim on the petal is a bunch of BS and it just a cheap way of getting people to think they found the real problem.. i dont say this to scare people because if i really thought this was a major problem i would stay away from toyota but i am not .. i am replacing my 2wd double cab with a 4wd crewmax

·
Registered
40 Posts
I just had my 07 DC in Monday for the same exact thing, alot of up / down play at the center propeller shaft bearing. The dealer said it is normal.
Can anyone confirm this to be true. I've never had clunking issues but I do have the launch shudder and have noticed a vibration at 45-50 mph occasionally, especially cruising up a slight grade.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
after they changed my engine harness i never had it happen to me again .. i just had the recall done last week and if carmax wasnt buying my truck i would be taking it back to get the whole petal replaced (the gas petal is too sensative now ) i still say this whole shim on the petal is a bunch of BS and it just a cheap way of getting people to think they found the real problem.. i dont say this to scare people because if i really thought this was a major problem i would stay away from toyota but i am not .. i am replacing my 2wd double cab with a 4wd crewmax
Agreed that the pedal is too loose now after mine was done but the wifey says her Avalon firmed up after a month. Maybe the shim and the other parts wear together like a brake pad and rotor. And I also agree a stuck gas pedal won't increase the speed of the car either. Gotta be something in the ECU or the cruise control ECU going nuts.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I just had my truck in for something very wrong going on in my rear diff... My dealership absolutely refuses to look into it. I even offered to pay for them to remove the cover and inspect it, but they only drained the oil and filled it back up... They said they saw no medal, but my best guess is that they dropped the plug and walked away from it as it was draining.

Anyways, I've been hearing a sound from just behind the center console, that more less sounds like a disc brake cover rubbing on the rotor... But much more faint... and really only noticeable from around 25-40... I immediately thought it was the center support, and I also found that it moved allot more than I would image when moving it by hand....

It wasn't until the truck started doing some very ill clunking, that I threw that idea aside, and figure it's either a diff carrier bearing or the bull gear bearing....

Anyways... The master tech that did all the work on my truck(SC) came with me for a ride, and laid down the seat.... He heard the screeching, and thought the same...(center support) he went back and did the driveshaft TSB... my truck doesn't even fall under it...

But both the noise and clunk(diff) are still there... And I believe the "normal" stop/start clunk has become worse... as I use to only feel the clunk when taking off, now I feel it when I stop as well...

I guess it's time to stop being nice, and light a fire and get them to fix my diff...

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just had my truck in for something very wrong going on in my rear diff... My dealership absolutely refuses to look into it. I even offered to pay for them to remove the cover and inspect it, but they only drained the oil and filled it back up... They said they saw no medal, but my best guess is that they dropped the plug and walked away from it as it was draining.

Anyways, I've been hearing a sound from just behind the center console, that more less sounds like a disc brake cover rubbing on the rotor... But much more faint... and really only noticeable from around 25-40... I immediately thought it was the center support, and I also found that it moved allot more than I would image when moving it by hand....

It wasn't until the truck started doing some very ill clunking, that I threw that idea aside, and figure it's either a diff carrier bearing or the bull gear bearing....

Anyways... The master tech that did all the work on my truck(SC) came with me for a ride, and laid down the seat.... He heard the screeching, and thought the same...(center support) he went back and did the driveshaft TSB... my truck doesn't even fall under it...

But both the noise and clunk(diff) are still there... And I believe the "normal" stop/start clunk has become worse... as I use to only feel the clunk when taking off, now I feel it when I stop as well...

I guess it's time to stop being nice, and light a fire and get them to fix my diff...

my truck started with a rubbing noise back in november and got worse till i discovered the center support bearing being bad ..

the TSB that my truck had on the driveshaft was for the yoke leaking the original driveshaft was working fine without any problems other then the very slight leak ..

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
Nice find this happens to me all the time. I will ask about this the next time in due for service THANKS!

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
my truck started with a rubbing noise back in november and got worse till i discovered the center support bearing being bad ..

the TSB that my truck had on the driveshaft was for the yoke leaking the original driveshaft was working fine without any problems other then the very slight leak ..
No leak here...
But they replaced the entire driveshaft on mine.... From the tranny to the rear diff, including the support bearing.....

The new DS seems to have more "normal" clunk than my old one... and it didn't solve my issue...

My clunkage would make you call the "normal" clunk a thumb.... I'm fightiing my dealership, cause they will not do anything to my truck, unless they can duplicate it... problem is, that I can't duplicate it at will... They act like I'm lieing to them... I've even offered to pay them for the diagnostics... but they are refusing to do anything cause of warranty...

I have several years with mechanical background, and from my Jeep'in days, know a thing or two about diffs, and how to destroy them...

I think I'll give them one last shot, before I bring it to a REAL shop, let them find the problem, and raise a legal case with my dealership.... If it does get to that point, I'll trade the truck in for a Denali HD... I love my truck, but I'm just not going to fight with a manufacturer like this...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts