Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I got tired of trying to compare engine/transmission/axle/wheel specs to understand what HP and torque I'd get under my driving and towing conditions. So I wrote a simple Excel simulation model to compare vehicles head-on. Give it a try -- the Tundra looks pretty good!

Note: When opening, if Excel asks about macro security, reply "Enable macros". My custom functions are written as a macro.

Enjoy!
Jim
:tu:

Attachments

·
Deliciously Blunt
5,667 Posts
HOLY F"n CRAP!!! That is a cool little simulater

good on ya!!!!!11

·
Deliciously Blunt
5,667 Posts
TTT...a lot of smarts went into this, and it's sweeet!:tu:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
GGWOODY --

Glad to hear you're enjoying it. It helped me understand the 4.30 axle gearing enough to place an order for a 5.7 4x4 reg cab long bed.

Jim

·
Registered
202 Posts
I think someone has too much time on their hands.

·
Registered
190 Posts
This is a cool piece of work Archer.

One question, though: If you go over to the Alternatives columns in order to make a custom graph, how do you get the Torque @ **** cells to be calculated from a known Peak Torque cell entry?

In this instance I was trying to put in the data for the GM LY6 engine which makes 373lb-ft torque @ 4400rpm and 353hp @ 5400rpm.

I don't have the data for the individual torque values at 1000rpm, 1500rpm, etc, and the app doesn't auto-calculate them from the Peak Torque cell.

Thanks

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
For the torque data at specified RPM steps, you can interpolate torque values using a pencil and ruler on printed torque curves:

GM: (pick your engine, select SAE or PL icons for the torque curve)
GM Media Online: English

Dodge: Sales brochure shows torque curve

Toyota: Sales brochure shows torque curve

Ford: Claims that "it's confidential data, and we won't release it". Poor decision, Ford. Very poor.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Jim

Cool spread sheet! Can we unlock the sheet, if so what is the password? I'd like to compare my old truck to this one. It uses a different tire and rear gear than the default.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
mln --

You can customize the model as is, to your heart's content. Any gray cell is for your input values. Just input your own engine torque curve, trans gearing, axle gearing, and tire choice. Change out any row in the tire rack with your own tire size, and select that row number in the input table.

Enjoy!
Jim

·
Registered
595 Posts
Jim

Thanks for that info. I was trying to make the changes in the wrong place. Is there any way to make the charts bigger so I can see them easier?

I know my 2001 5.3 didn't put out 315 HP, it was 275 I believe. Any idea where I might get that info and how would I input it?

Thanks

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
mln --

To see larger graphs, use Excel's menu View..Zoom to adjust.

HP is a direct function of RPM and torque. So if you input the torque curve, the model calculates the HP as needed. If you are trying to calibrate to an older engine, you might try Googling to find any site with an older torque curve. I know it worked for my '98 Dodge -- just can't remember the Dodge-related site.

Jim

·
Registered
595 Posts
Thanks

I see that it's still the same at a larger size (200%). It's the fact that it all works out to about the same line that makes it busy at either size. I found I could look above the graph and see the numbers there and get the needed info.

I'll look for an older HP/TQ chart soon. I'm trying to figure out why my Toyota and Chevy are so different in operation when the initial glance at your simulator show they are very similar in a lot of ways.

Thanks again.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts