Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I'm new here and want to say hi. I have a 07 Tundra that has almost 16000 miles on it that has a cracked serpentine belt. I've checked the dealer and they want to charge $480 for the part and labor, which is outrageous. Shouldn't it be covered under warranty, I know it doesn't cover "wear and tear" but is it normal or is it really cheap quality stuff they are using? I have not abused the truck in any way. What should I do? Go to another dealer, argue that the belt is low quality or something else. This frustrates me because I have had to get my truck serviced four times in the past 2.5 years.

Thank you in advance for any advice.:)

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
the belts will crack over time. as long as big chunks arent missing or anything its fine. your truck doesnt look like it drives alot so its probally just the age factor. but it happens on all of them dont even worry about it. if u are worried then just get a goodyear gatorback and install it yourself. and ur probally out of warranty anyway if not real close....just from being 3 years old

·
Premium Member
1,530 Posts
I bought my serpentine belt at a local parts store for under $50 and installed it in less than 15 minutes. :)

·
Registered
195 Posts
It should be under the 36k/3 years warranty. My one starting to crack at 40k and I paid 125 + tax for install and part at my local Toyota dealer.

Those belts are one of the weak parts of the Tundra.

Go to another dealer if they don´t replace it under warranty or
call coporate headquarters in CA and file a complain - that usually changes things very quickly.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've called my downtown Toyota dealer and the customer representative, the 1-800 number. Both said it is considered "normal" wear and tear and therefore, not covered under warranty. It's a way of covering their butts for using cheap quality parts. I searched on here before I registered, and discovered that some owners had their belt replaced for free.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I called Berkeley Toyota and they said it's under warranty. Sweet! Thank you all for the help. I really appreciate it.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
was that 480 the tensioner and belt? thats horribly high for just a belt....

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It was $200 for the belt and $280 for the labor. They said it was going to take a whole day. This was the price quote from Downtown Toyota, a stealership.

·
Registered
32,593 Posts
They are all criminals, both parts and labor. Do-it-yourself are the best three words a vehicle owner can know. Buy the tools and do as much of this sort of thing yourself as you can. It is worth every skinned knuckle to deny those robbers.

The serpentine belt replacement is a little tougher on the 5.7 because the skid plate has to be removed, there is some nasty spring on the tensioner, and the quarters are fairly tight. The trick to making the job go smoothly is to find and use the stopper holes on the tensioner which will hold the tensioner in place in its fully released position while the belts are swapped.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Have heard prices are high in California, but that's plain stupid, basicaly you put a wrench on the tensioner bolt, push it over and slip the old belt off, then reverse the order to install the new one. Look at the way the belt fits on the pulley's before you began, any Toyota tech can easily do it in 10 minutes, show the stealership this post, ask how much time they plan to charge for the belt change. 200$'s is high for a new belt, ask if they plan on changing the tensioner.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm not going back to that stealership for any reason in the future. Oh goodie, I got a pedal safety recall fix in the mail today. A few weeks ago, the floormat was changed and now its the pedal's turn.So many problems with Toyota.

·
Premium Member
1,530 Posts
When I did mine, I didn't require any type of special tool holding the tensioner in place. Basically used a 14mm combo wrench to hold the tensioner and installed the belt. On, off...done.

·
Registered
20 Posts
You need to print out the TSB on the botton idler and take it with you, if your was built before they changed the idler on all newer trucks they should replace it. They should just look at your VIN. The first ones doesnt allow the belt to align properly causing the belt to crack. They tried that normal wear crap on me in the service dept but I went to their manager and told them I wasnt coming in there and paying for a new belt every few thousand miles, I wanted a new belt and i wanted whatever caused it fixed. Yhey replaced both in less than 15 minutes under warranty and I had 37400 miles.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
When I did mine, I didn't require any type of special tool holding the tensioner in place. Basically used a 14mm combo wrench to hold the tensioner and installed the belt. On, off...done.
My Dodge was like that, course a stoppper hole where you could lock the tensioner open (or back in position)while you fidget with the belt would make it easyier

·
Registered
935 Posts
Hi everyone,

I'm new here and want to say hi. I have a 07 Tundra that has almost 16000 miles on it that has a cracked serpentine belt. I've checked the dealer and they want to charge $480 for the part and labor, which is outrageous. Shouldn't it be covered under warranty, I know it doesn't cover "wear and tear" but is it normal or is it really cheap quality stuff they are using? I have not abused the truck in any way. What should I do? Go to another dealer, argue that the belt is low quality or something else. This frustrates me because I have had to get my truck serviced four times in the past 2.5 years.

Thank you in advance for any advice.:)
Hey there, my belt was checked and cracking etc really early, like 50,000kms. I think if it had broken it may have been warranty but otherwise it is a maintenance item.
The belt made it to 115,000kms - still had some "life" left in it but I did not want to take any chance. My dealer changed it for $250.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts