Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On May 29th I'll be driving from San Francisco to Upstate New York. I am the original owner of this truck. It has about 180k miles on it. I have really only done routine maintenance. Brakes, oil, tires, filters, etc. This truck runs and looks fantastic for it's age. I'm wondering if anyone see's any major red flags with driving a truck with this many miles cross country. I'll be driving roughly 3000 miles give or take depending on if I take in a couple sights or not. I'm also not in a huge rush and I don't have to drive 10 hours a day. I am willing to do any preventative maintenance that's necessary prior to this road trip. First off tell me if you think I'm making a bad call and secondly tell me if there is anything you would recommend as far as getting the truck as ready as possible for the road trip.

I could put the truck on a trailer and have it shipped to NY for roughly $1400 and then $300 for me to fly back one way. But I've also crunched the numbers on gas, cheap lodging and food and I think I can save money driving and enjoy the road trip. Gas is at it's cheapest right now so that would work in my favor. And I put a full mattress in the bed of the truck and it has a shell.

Appreciate any thoughts. Thanks.

·
Registered
738 Posts
IMHO, driving a vehicle for many hours at highway speeds is one of the best things you can do for it. If it were me, I would change all of the fluids and filters prior to the trip and enjoy. I would then change the oil and coolant again after the trip, along with the spark plugs.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I drive my 01 4.7l with 160k all over the country with little notice all the time and rarely give it a second thought.
If you have kept up with the basics as you say you have I would get in there and let her breath!

And this is also why God invented AAA I think,ever since having it I almost never need it?

Sound like fun to me,I can not wait until we all have reasons to go places again and I can do the same thing.

·
Driver of 2 Tundra trucks
6,307 Posts
Fluids & filters. Maybe clean the MAF & Throttle Body.
Check the tires, including the spare.
Definitely make sure the anti freeze is fresh.

Sounds like the Cannonball Run in reverse - Do It!

·
Driver of 2 Tundra trucks
6,307 Posts
My 2007 5.7L has 292,000, and I am confident it would handle a long road trip without any issues.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. Appreciate all the info. I'll run down the necessary road trip checklist and do what needs to be done. Gas is cheap right now and I'm guessing my fuel costs can be below $500. 3000 miles and I get around 16 miles to a gallon. Maybe better mileage on the long haul. I'll make sure I have roadside assistance and that I'm well prepared. I have State Farm insurance so I'll look into what the policy covers or if I need to consider AAA. Not my first rodeo. Thanks.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Wouldn't worry me a bit. I've been half-way across the country and back in my '08 Sequoia when it had almost 260K miles on the clock.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks guys. Appreciate all the info. I'll run down the necessary road trip checklist and do what needs to be done. Gas is cheap right now and I'm guessing my fuel costs can be below $500. 3000 miles and I get around 16 miles to a gallon. Maybe better mileage on the long haul. I'll make sure I have roadside assistance and that I'm well prepared. I have State Farm insurance so I'll look into what the policy covers or if I need to consider AAA. Not my first rodeo. Thanks.
gas at my local Shell station is 1.14 a gallon. I drove my '00 to San Fran a few years back, did not think twice about it. Only problem was driving in SF and parking in SF.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sounds like a fun trip, I might be doing the same in a few months with my daughter. Have the boys at the Toy Shop on Geary Blvd to check things out if you're nervous. I'm sure you have your timing belt and water pump done, but if not then now would be a good time to do it. Have a good safe trip.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sounds like a fun trip, I might be doing the same in a few months with my daughter. Have the boys at the Toy Shop on Geary Blvd to check things out if you're nervous. I'm sure you have your timing belt and water pump done, but if not then now would be a good time to do it. Have a good safe trip.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've never had the timing belt or water pump done. If it seems to be working fine should I really just go and replace it? Or have it checked? Thanks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Its a recommended every 90k miles, and since you're at 180k, then I definitely would do it. Can be a huge expense if the belt goes on you. The water pump is next to it, so it's cheaper to change it now then when it goes. I bought a 2005 in December and that was the first thing I did.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Its a recommended every 90k miles, and since you're at 180k, then I definitely would do it. Can be a huge expense if the belt goes on you. The water pump is next to it, so it's cheaper to change it now then when it goes. I bought a 2005 in December and that was the first thing I did.
Ok. I'll look into it. I know how important preventative maintenance is prior to a trip but I just don't want to be broke before I leave. Things can start adding up quick. I really don't think I have that much to do to my truck to get it ready for the road trip. Brakes & tires are great.

·
Registered
9 Posts
On May 29th I'll be driving from San Francisco to Upstate New York. I am the original owner of this truck. It has about 180k miles on it. I have really only done routine maintenance. Brakes, oil, tires, filters, etc. This truck runs and looks fantastic for it's age. I'm wondering if anyone see's any major red flags with driving a truck with this many miles cross country. I'll be driving roughly 3000 miles give or take depending on if I take in a couple sights or not. I'm also not in a huge rush and I don't have to drive 10 hours a day. I am willing to do any preventative maintenance that's necessary prior to this road trip. First off tell me if you think I'm making a bad call and secondly tell me if there is anything you would recommend as far as getting the truck as ready as possible for the road trip.

I could put the truck on a trailer and have it shipped to NY for roughly $1400 and then $300 for me to fly back one way. But I've also crunched the numbers on gas, cheap lodging and food and I think I can save money driving and enjoy the road trip. Gas is at it's cheapest right now so that would work in my favor. And I put a full mattress in the bed of the truck and it has a shell.

Appreciate any thoughts. Thanks.
Change oil and coolant. Freshen fluids in powersteering and brakes. Make sure your tires aren't too old and/or worn. Let the dealership give it a once over. Then you should be good to go. I traveled routinely from TX to WA and back, and also TX to MA and back. My 2008 Tundra had 150K. I changed oil every 6 months (synthetic). I kept up with all lube needs and fluids, not letting them get too old. Transmission should have oil changed at 100K. I had an ARE shell and slept in the back. East of the Mississippi I slept in the back seat. I don't trust easterners on the open road. America is an awesome place for road tripping. I never got tired of the lonely roads through Wyoming, Montana and South Utah.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Appreciate all the feedback. I've added your road trip recommendations to my check list and I'll get it all taken care of prior to departing on the journey. Currently building out a sleeping platform for the back of the Tundra with pull out drawers and storage below. Had a new windshield put in yesterday because the old one was cracked. Have all new wiper blades. I've got a month to get through my checklist. I have a garage that has worked on my trucks for years. I've never taken it back to the dealer. Thanks.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I was going to replace the engine filter and cabin filter myself. No sense in being overcharged for something that's really easy to replace like filters. Anyone have a suggestion on decent filters. Probably can get them on Amazon. Thanks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Appreciate all the feedback. I've added your road trip recommendations to my check list and I'll get it all taken care of prior to departing on the journey. Currently building out a sleeping platform for the back of the Tundra with pull out drawers and storage below. Had a new windshield put in yesterday because the old one was cracked. Have all new wiper blades. I've got a month to get through my checklist. I have a garage that has worked on my trucks for years. I've never taken it back to the dealer. Thanks.
Yeah, I hear you there on the dealer. Why pay twice or thrice on what a good tech you trust can do for a fair price.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Cool. I'm going on Amazon now and purchasing them. They are some really cheap brands that I'll stay clear of and a couple that are really expensive. But Fram seems reasonable.. Thanks.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts