Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to replace my DRL 4157A's with the AMBER High power LED's (39 on each).
I put them in and also installed the load resistor on each bulb (red wire and pink wire) to ground. Turned everything on and they look great, the bulbs are on when the truck starts the turn signals flash normally all looks good......until I switched on the lights.
I heard that distinct "pop" of a fuse and discovered my tail light and side marker lamp fuse blew.:td:
I double checked the wiring, seems too simple, and found nothing wrong. So I disconnected the load resistors, re-installed the incandescent bulbs and replaced the blown 15A fuse. Everything worked again. So I thought it was a fluke, so I connected the load resistors again and everything seemed to be working until I again switch the parking lights on and the tail light fuse blew again.....What am I missing?
I thought this should work with the load resistors installed? I guess I haven't seen that anyone has done this mod with just the front DRL's to LED with load resistor. Is there a reason this won't work? I have the factory DRL's with tow package.....Any suggestions on what I may be missing? This seems too simple.
:help:

Couldn't resist posting this picture....the cat seems to like boat rides!

·
Registered
32,593 Posts
You need a specific LED bulb for the front DRL. These are called "SWACK" or "SRACK" or something like that. PM Jake at VLEDs for a solution.

Also take care that your high powered amber bulb can tolerate being turned on 100% of the time without overheating. Many of them are only meant for duty cycled (off-on-off-on) applications such as signal.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I tried to PM VLEDS but received:

vleds has chosen not to receive private messages or may not be allowed to receive private messages. Therefore you may not send your message to him/her.

still troubleshooting.....the LED's seem to work and stay on all the time, they don't seem to overheat, I used them for a few days driving around town but I did have the hyperflash. That's when I decided to add the resistors. Then the fuse blew when the lights were switched on....

·
Registered
32,593 Posts
Try going to the VLEDs website and ask your question there. His box on Tundrasolutions might be full.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I sent them an e-mail asking about a solution....in the mean time I'll probably just move the LED's and resistors to the rear while I wait for a solution.
thanks.

·
Registered
7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So, what I understand from the different threads I've read here is that if I have the original DRL's (I do) I must do the following to get "any" type of LED working in the DRL/Turn signal is:
1. Disable the DRL's [either by cutting the gray wire (mentioned in another post) or by replacing the factory DRL flasher with a non-DRL flasher].
2. Install the 6 ohm load resistors on each lamp socket of the DRL/Turn signal in the front.
3. Install the Dual color amber/white LED from V-LEDS.

I haven't seen anyone else use any type of LED in this location with the factory DRL's even if I add the load resistor I MUST use the V-LED dual color part that is $52.99 now?
If the above is true then I guess I'll wait a while for this mod.
BTW I moved my amber LED's and load resistors to the rear turn signals location and all seems to work good, I really like that orangeish/amber pop of color with these amber LED's, that cost me under $10 for both and about $7 for both load resistors.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts