Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a DRL upgrade on my 07 Highlander Hybrid. I chose to upgrade the turn signal stalk to the Limited model that has the DRL switch on it, rather than the "Tacoma" method of adding a dash switch. A quick thank you to the how-to posters to show what parts are needed. I don't think I'm getting full functionality out of the upgraded turn signal stalk, as some combinations on the stalk seem to have no effect on any electrical function but that's not the reason for my post.

I want to know how compatible the original stalk is with other Toyotas. It's a waste to simply toss it and I'm convinced there is a backwards-compatibility to an older Toyota and I just don't have the experience (or the access to the literature) to confirm this. The stalk seems generic enough that I'm guessing it could fit in more than 2007 and older Highlanders, perhaps other Toyota models, new and old.

I've had interested buyers ask if the stalk is compatible with their Toyota, as old as 1987. Does anyone have insight into which other models can share this part?

·
Registered
296 Posts
The basic one will fit:

TOYOTA CAMRY (2002 - 2005)
TOYOTA HIGHLANDER (2001 - 2007)
TOYOTA HIGHLANDER HYBRID (2006 - 2007)
TOYOTA HIGHLANDER HYBRID LIMITED (2006 - 2007)
TOYOTA HIGHLANDER LIMITED (2006 - 2007)
TOYOTA HIGHLANDER SPORT 2007

·
Premium Member
2,581 Posts
I don't understand exactly why or how yu determined that the Light stalk yu used to replace the original one can give yu true DRL functionality. There is simply no switch on any vehicle equipped with DRL's.
DRL's is not a function of the light stalk. (At least not by itself). Never was. DRL's come on when the vehicle is turned on. They turn off when the headlamps are switched on. DRL's if equipped may only be turned "OFF " while vehicle is placed in Park..then engine turned off ...then parking Brake applied ...then yu may be parked and not in motion with the DRL's "OFF".
DRL's on 01-07 HL's merely power the high beam bulbs at 6 volts.
Yu need an OE relay and other parts to make the DRL feature. I have this standard on my 06 HL Ltd.. My neighbor also has DRL's on his 04 Base Model HL.(using the base model stalk).

The factory DRL function has no "OFF" switch while vehicle is in motion during day time driving. It comes on by default. By law it cannot be a switched feature and be called a DRL.

What yu probably have is a Limited HL stalk that provides "Auto ON" headlamps and the included "FOG" light function. These are the features yu see on your new stalk but are not wired to function .

I'm a little confused on your post. What exactly did yu achieve by just replacing with the upgraded stalk??? What lights turn on when yu say your DRL's are "ON". Should be the high beam only with only 6 volts supplied to them. Any other method will burn out your high beams bulbs. They are not meant to be on for extended periods at full 12 volts. No high beam bulb will last for long at 12 volts. Also , your HL lens may melt in the High Beam portion of your housing. I've seen this before on the early HL's.

bepprb did state what vehicles the stalk will fit in any event.

LT:happy:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts