Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have imported a 2005 Toyota Tundra Access cab with 4WD into Canada. I must have DRL installed to meet Canada's Compliance Inspection. I have contacted our local dealer and told to have OEM DRL's installed will be very expensive (approx $1,300.00). The service manager told me best to get and aftermarket module installed but I am having trouble finding a supplier in Canada. Apparently the Tundra has a switched ground system which means that the Hlights are always a full 12volts. One company that makes DRL modules for most vehicles doesn't make them for Toyota vehicles because of this wiring system. They recommended that I locate an inverse DRL module. I cannot find a supplier for this type of DRL. Can anyone help? or offer another soln? How can I locate a wiring diagram for my truck. Any assistance much appreciated. :ts:

·
Registered
369 Posts
From the 2nd thread yesterday on the same topic:
I know that some people loathe daytime running lights, but I am wondering- how possible is it to "easily" install DRL's in a non-equipped model? I personally like the safety feature, but it is a lacking option on my 2000 Tundra, as are ABS brakes. . . . So, would it cost more than its worth to install DRLS on this truck? I was hoping it would be something as simple as adding a "relay" or something since some models were already equipped, but I am sure its more than that (as always). For now, I just run with my headlights on most of the time. :rolleyes:

Thanks in advance!
Since neither of you has gotten a direct response yet, do you need help sifting through the threads and/or knowledge base here for more details? :confused:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi JustBNme, Ur help would be appreciated. I am posted on other forums with same results. Thanks

·
Registered
369 Posts
. . . . help would be appreciated. . .
[disclaimer] Since I'm leaving my DRLs stock for now, I'm no DRL add/remove expert, so anyone else who's already done this is welcome to jump in here anytime. Meanwhile, I'll help you with the search process, but expect you to filter through the results. Feel free to skip past anything I've oversimplified. [/disclaimer]

~~~ A Little Background ~~~
As I've come to understand DRLs, it's really just an alternative circuit to the headlights, employing a substantial resistor to drop the voltage enough to allow a dimmer-than-low-beams glow of the headlights. Turning on the headlights energizes a different circuit that bypasses the resistor(s). In your case, I doubt any side effects you might see attributed to unplugging the resistor circuit would apply to your vehicle, since it's presumably running OK.

I'm not sure what your dealer means by DRL module (inverse or otherwise, because it doesn't matter to a resistor), but many Tundra circuits are apparently controlled via the ground rather than the supply side of the circuit, which may account for the emphasis on inverse. OTOH, if we're talking about one of the many ECUs on board and Tundras have different but specific ones for models with/without DRLs, then let's both hope someone volunteers the relevant details.

While you're at it, if you'd also like to make the DRLs manually switchable, SolidWiring.com has a solution--one that can also be undone--that's been favorably mentioned here many times.

~~~ Your Assignment ~~~
For now, I suppose the first step is determining:
1) whether the vehicle already had DRLs that were simply disconnected/disabled, or if not,
2) whether the wiring harness and connector(s) are already present, so optimally, you'd just need to add/repair any missing/altered hardware.

Since disabling DRLs is an oft-repeated topic (the opposite of your objective, but nonetheless useful for now), to keep the results reasonably narrow, begin with the Search This Forum function found at the far right edge, just above the list of threads from the forum's top page. It's the one right below the bar reading Page 1 of ..., not the wider search you'll get if you choose the other Search option found on the bar higher up the page, right below the Tundra Solutions logo.

The key words DRL and plug should get you a fairly small list of related threads, where you can pick up enough details to locate the harness and connector on your '05 AC, if they're there. Do that much and respond with the results. We'll proceed from there.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
[disclaimer] Since I'm leaving my DRLs stock for now, I'm no DRL add/remove expert, so anyone else who's already done this is welcome to jump in here anytime. Meanwhile, I'll help you with the search process, but expect you to filter through the results. Feel free to skip past anything I've oversimplified. [/disclaimer]

~~~ A Little Background ~~~
As I've come to understand DRLs, it's really just an alternative circuit to the headlights, employing a substantial resistor to drop the voltage enough to allow a dimmer-than-low-beams glow of the headlights. Turning on the headlights energizes a different circuit that bypasses the resistor(s). In your case, I doubt any side effects you might see attributed to unplugging the resistor circuit would apply to your vehicle, since it's presumably running OK.

I'm not sure what your dealer means by DRL module (inverse or otherwise, because it doesn't matter to a resistor), but many Tundra circuits are apparently controlled via the ground rather than the supply side of the circuit, which may account for the emphasis on inverse. OTOH, if we're talking about one of the many ECUs on board and Tundras have different but specific ones for models with/without DRLs, then let's both hope someone volunteers the relevant details.

While you're at it, if you'd also like to make the DRLs manually switchable, SolidWiring.com has a solution--one that can also be undone--that's been favorably mentioned here many times.

~~~ Your Assignment ~~~
For now, I suppose the first step is determining:
1) whether the vehicle already had DRLs that were simply disconnected/disabled, or if not,
2) whether the wiring harness and connector(s) are already present, so optimally, you'd just need to add/repair any missing/altered hardware.

Since disabling DRLs is an oft-repeated topic (the opposite of your objective, but nonetheless useful for now), to keep the results reasonably narrow, begin with the Search This Forum function found at the far right edge, just above the list of threads from the forum's top page. It's the one right below the bar reading Page 1 of ..., not the wider search you'll get if you choose the other Search option found on the bar higher up the page, right below the Tundra Solutions logo.

The key words DRL and plug should get you a fairly small list of related threads, where you can pick up enough details to locate the harness and connector on your '05 AC, if they're there. Do that much and respond with the results. We'll proceed from there.
Thanks for the assistance. Ur explaination of grounded and supply cleared up a couple of questions I had.
I checked my truck and do not have a wiring harness for DRL's. My research has given me two options: 1) Use Canadian Tire to install the module they have, although it does not have a resistor that reduces the headlight intensity for daytime use(This will get me past the Canadian Federal inspection I require as they do it!) 2) suvlights.com has a wiring harness and resistor module that is designed for the Tundra but is appox. $120.00Can when $exchange and shipping are added up + I still must install myself or pay someone to do it. I will probably got with option #1 and if I have trouble with it go to option #2. I really would like to get my Tundra registered and insured ASAP, can't stand not using it!
Thanks again.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Glad you found enough info to solve your dilemma. You didn't mention whether your two options are significantly different cost-wise. If the difference is relatively small, my own preference would be to pick the one that's most like the OEM option. IMO, it'll make up some of that difference at resale time.

Rootin' around to find info for you even provided a side benefit for me. An older post I came across mentioned that DRL's don't come on if you start the engine with the parking brake applied. Release the brake, and on they come. I can verify that feature still works for 06's like mine :tu:.

Back to your options, I wouldn't let any DIY aspects keep me from picking a particular solution. There's plenty of good (and sometimes very technical) folks here just waiting for someone to say they need some help. :) Hope to see you around.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
An update on DRL's install (Canadian Version). I have installed DRL's on my 2005 Tundra (as per RIV Canadian Federal Inspection Requirements). Canadian Tire did the install for approx. $150 with an upgraded module manufactred by Standard Auto Parts(DRL-1). CT took about 1 1/2 hrs(straight time, as this was the 1rst time they had done this module). They seem to work well, at least they worked well enought to pass the Fed Inspect). I received additional info from Standard Autoparts Catalogue Helpline as to specific installation instructions re:Tundra from:
David Goldstein
Quality Assurance
Standard Motor Products
37-18 Northern Boulevard
Long Island City, NY 11101-1616
Helpline at (718) 729-4357
Catalog Helpline
E-mail Address(es):
[email protected]

PS-He sent attachments of detailled instructions too large to include in this post.
Hope this helps others re: DRL's

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
I also installed Canadian Tire's DRL unit on Two Tundras. I'm no mechanic and it took me 1hr on the first on and 30min on #2. Parts cost $25 each.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I also installed Canadian Tire's DRL unit on Two Tundras. I'm no mechanic and it took me 1hr on the first on and 30min on #2. Parts cost $25 each.
Do you think I can install this DRL unit on my Tundra, which didn't come with DRLs. I'm probably not moving to Canada anytime this lifetime... but I really would like DRLs. Or are there other DRL units I should look into.

·
Registered
11 Posts
An update on DRL's install (Canadian Version). I have installed DRL's on my 2005 Tundra (as per RIV Canadian Federal Inspection Requirements). Canadian Tire did the install for approx. $150 with an upgraded module manufactred by Standard Auto Parts(DRL-1). CT took about 1 1/2 hrs(straight time, as this was the 1rst time they had done this module). They seem to work well, at least they worked well enought to pass the Fed Inspect). I received additional info from Standard Autoparts Catalogue Helpline as to specific installation instructions re:Tundra from:
David Goldstein
Quality Assurance
Standard Motor Products
37-18 Northern Boulevard
Long Island City, NY 11101-1616
Helpline at (718) 729-4357
Catalog Helpline
E-mail Address(es):
[email protected]

PS-He sent attachments of detailled instructions too large to include in this post.
Hope this helps others re: DRL's
Hey I've got to do the exact same thing here pretty quick... just wondering if you have the part number and any other instructions i need to give the CT guy? I can't be bothered to try and figure it out myself (no time) so i just want to be able to go into CT and tell them exactly what needs to be done.

Thanks
Mike

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The box shows no part # other than company name and DRL-1(Standrd Motor products), the instruction sheets list a number as GF8975 with the wiring diagram. If it helps here is the bar code 9176922519. Try the email addie in the above post if all else fails.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I contacted a dealer today and will install DRL in my 06 Tundra for $ 150.00 plus GST. This includes all the parts. I'm thinking this is the route to go.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts