Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi again guys and ladies. Thanks to those who responded regarding my options for my 2010 Tundra. I think I'll go with a roll up tonneau cover. I've seen a couple online that have potential and won't cost my my monthly mortgage payment to purchase.

As a newbie truck owner, I have a couple of questions regarding the drop-in liner. I got the dealer to throw one in on the purchase (they made out like bandits on me, by the way).

First, how is the water supposed to drain? I don't see any type of drain holes anywhere.

Next, I'm not sure they fit it quite right, there's a couple of ripples where the liner raises up along the length of the bed.

Finally, a two parter here, will I be able to install a deck rail system if I choose to do so later down the road with this liner and (part 2) will I be able to put a roll-up tonneau cover on this liner.

Thanks Again!:beatsme:

·
Registered
916 Posts
Water drains out the back when you drive, there are no holes in the liner. There isn't really a wrong way to install it, the ripples are to be expected, they'll go away with time. Not sure about the deck rail system, but the liner should have no effect on a tonneau cover at all. The plastic bed caps on the rails are not part of the bedliner, they are standard on all Tundra's.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Water drains out the back when you drive, there are no holes in the liner. There isn't really a wrong way to install it, the ripples are to be expected, they'll go away with time. Not sure about the deck rail system, but the liner should have no effect on a tonneau cover at all. The plastic bed caps on the rails are not part of the bedliner, they are standard on all Tundra's.
I think you have to trim parts of the liner to install the bed rail system. The drop in liner shouldn't have any effect on a tonneau cover.

I too have a factory drop in bed liner and im thinking about getting rid of it because it does wear away the paint at the points where it touches the inside of the bed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey Folks
Ya know, at my age it's been a long time since I've been new at anything. I really appreciate the input I've received. This is really a great site. Hopefully one day I'll be able to share my 'experience' with another newbie.

Do you know the difference between education and experience? Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't. ~Pete Seeger

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
I have the drop in liner on my 08 DC. Mine fits under the side rails of the bed, so the deck rail system works just fine without any
modification to the liner. The liner does does seem to adjust to the shape of the bed over time. The ripples, or whatever you want to
call them, get less noticable particularly after setting in the sun over time. I put the Toyota tri-fold tonneau cover on without any
issues, so the roll up cover should not be a problem either. I have had the deck rail system on my last couple of trucks, and once
having it, I would not want to be without it. It is great for tying down just about any load that you put in the bed. (within weight
limits of the system)

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
if u put a tonneau cover on there, then the drainage issue should be a non issue. back in the 90s we had two trucks in our family with drop ins and no covers and a slanted driveway and we didnt like the swimming pool effect...so we got some exterior wall cable grommets from home depot, and drilled a hole in the liner towards the front...on one truck we were able to do it right above the stock drain in the bed floor...the other truck we drilled through the metal floor as well, and siliconed between the liner and bed, then siliconed the grommet and slid it into place and it worked perfectly...this is what we used....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts