Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the pros and cons of both? I'm trying to decide which I should get.:ts:

·
Banned
1,374 Posts
Do not use a drop in unless you like to see rust under your bed after a couple of years. The drop in liners will rub from the vibration and movement from the truck wearing out the paint then primer and then bare metal which will slowly be replaced by rust. You can always do both! :D

·
Registered
510 Posts
I am getting the Line-X spray in liner for my truck this week. Drop in plastic liners are so 1980...haha. I am going to have it put on thick to add some weight to the bed for better traction in the snow. Does anyone know how much weight a Line-X liner adds to a short bed 07 Tundra? How thick it standard and how thick can you go before it is just too thick for the tie downs, bed bolts, etc?

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have heard some people who use a drop in liner over the spray in liner. It might be a good idea, but I suspect that water would get trapped in between.

Zack

·
Registered
528 Posts
I have heard some people who use a drop in liner over the spray in liner. It might be a good idea, but I suspect that water would get trapped in between.

Zack
There is no point in that logic at all.

Line-X is the bees knees period. This should not even be a question...just go out and get you some Line-X. Its competitors fail in comparison.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I had Rhino Liner in my F-250 and I was very happy with it. I had a plastic drop in liner in an old Tundra, and didn't like it. I had a rubber cargo mat in an F150 before that, and it was nice to keep things from sliding around, but it was a company vehicle, so I never looked under to see how the bed was holding up.

I ordered a topper from my dealer for the new Tundra and he talked me into a Bedrug with the topper instead of the spray in (probably makes more money, but whatever.)

I would not do a drop in liner (of whatever material) if I had an open bed. My inside should stay dry, and the Bedrug is pretty soft on the paint. Worst case, I pull it out in a couple of years and spray anyway.

IMHO, spray in if you haul a lot of stuff, or if your bed will remain open.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I had the dealership actually remove the drop-in bedliner that was in my truck and then had them put in Line-X. I have only used Line-X with only great results. I have also heard good things about Rhino so I would not get into a debate about which is best. Both are preferred over drop-in liners for most people. imho.
Cheers.:)

·
Registered
264 Posts
I had Rhino Liner in my F-250 and I was very happy with it. I had a plastic drop in liner in an old Tundra, and didn't like it. I had a rubber cargo mat in an F150 before that, and it was nice to keep things from sliding around, but it was a company vehicle, so I never looked under to see how the bed was holding up.

I ordered a topper from my dealer for the new Tundra and he talked me into a Bedrug with the topper instead of the spray in (probably makes more money, but whatever.)

I would not do a drop in liner (of whatever material) if I had an open bed. My inside should stay dry, and the Bedrug is pretty soft on the paint. Worst case, I pull it out in a couple of years and spray anyway.

IMHO, spray in if you haul a lot of stuff, or if your bed will remain open.
If I'm putting a shell on the back of my truck is it o.k. to go with a drop in. Maybe I'm old school and for some reason like the drop in's. I throw alot of stuff in and out of the bed and the drop in has always seemed very durable. I don't know much about the spray in. What's the cost difference. Thanks.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I am getting the Line-X spray in liner for my truck this week. Drop in plastic liners are so 1980...haha. I am going to have it put on thick to add some weight to the bed for better traction in the snow. Does anyone know how much weight a Line-X liner adds to a short bed 07 Tundra? How thick it standard and how thick can you go before it is just too thick for the tie downs, bed bolts, etc?
Extra thick wont make a bit of dif. You are better off buying a couple sand bags at Lowes. Take em out when the snow melts.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I've never bought a new truck, so I've always just stayed with whatever my trucks come with. My last two trucks had drop-in bed protectors and THEY SUCK! They are so incredibly worthless, primarily because while they protect the bed from dents, they wear the paint down in several places. On top of that, debris and water get stuck under there and accelerate corrison of the bed. Also, if you want to haul small or medium sized gravel, then the gravel gets stuck in the liner's channels and you'll be digging it out for several weeks afterward.

If my next truck is lacking both, then I'll definetly get a spray-in liner. No doubt about it.

·
Registered
455 Posts
What he said ^

I'm going with a Rhino Liner that a buddy of mine is getting for me at cost, $200. As far as I know, water will get in there and rust your bed. Drop in bedliners also have a lot of vibration and such like he said. I've heard that with a spray in bedliner IF you were to dent it you can just pop it back out. Not entirely sure how truthful that is. Also, with a spray in bedliner, most come with a lifetime warranty so if you chip it they will touch it up so it looks new again. Spray in liners also add weight if you are worried about axle hop or 381 hp in the rain haha. If price is no problem, you should definately go for the spray-in bedliner.

Just my $.02

-rockstate
I put the liner in my F150 myself. It's a 2 part black epoxy mix that you apply with a special roller. It's impossible to chip. The advantage of it over my drop in bedliner is the water/rust factor. It's only a coating, so if the bed dents, you can definitely pound it out from the underside, or drill a hole and fill it later.

The only thing I like about the drop in is that things slide more more easily when loading and unloading. That could be a negative if you don't strap your goods in the bed.

·
Deliciously Blunt
5,667 Posts
Pros and cons

Drop in Liner:
Pros--
-cheaper
-can slide things around easier
-requires no grinding off of paint to install
-does a great job buffeting so that the bed doesn't get dented.

Cons--
-Thing slide around too eaily when you're driving
-they will grind the paint off for you when dirt and water works their way under it
-can cause a lot of rust
-should be taken out everyso often to clean underneath to prevent rust
-uncomfortable as hell if you want to sleep or get your swerve on in the bed of the truck
-can fly out if it comes loose (unlikely, but possible)

Sprayon Liner:
Pros--
-have good grip so things don't shift around in the bed
-very tough, and almost impossible to tear (kevlar added to many)
-permanently bonded to your bed
-no rust
-maintenance free
-repairable
-Looks great
-easy to sleep on or do the no-pants dance on
-flexibility---you can have the floor or the walls coated thincker, they can coat up and over the rails to protect the side, you can coat your rocker panels and fenders(behind the wheels) for added opffroad protection
-increased value
-can get custom colors and designs done in the liner if that's your thing

Cons--
-they have to scuff/grind the paint prior to install--no big deal since it'll be permanently bonded to the bed
-more expensive
-sometimes it can be tough to slide heavy objects into the bed
-need to scrub with dish detergent every so often in order to get rid of any imbedded dirt...gets rid of the gray haze that can form.
-depending on the thickness, may not prevent dents in the bed as well from heavy objects falling.

I have a speedliner spray-in in my bed. takes longer to cure (chemical, not thermal) but it is great. LineX is now stronger than speedliner, so I will have that done to my Tundy when I get it in. A drop-in liner is not even an option in my book.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I had a drop in for the last 17 years in my old Toyota, and yes, it did scuff the top of the bed rails a bit after quite a few years. I only noticed it about 10 years after I had it. But, it was easy enough to keep on top of cleaning underneath it (once a year or two), and touching up the scuffed spots. I never had a spot of rust.

I'm sure it depends on how you use the truck. I used the bed alot, but mostly parked it undercover, which helps keep junk (leaves and such) from getting underneath it, I imagine.

I like the ability to slide stuff around in the bed. A box with an air compressor or washing machine will need to be tied down anyhow, and it is useful to slide things like large pieces of cut wood, etc.

I was trying to decide on the new Tundra, and finally decided to go with a drop in for now. It was cheap and easy to get it with the truck. If the dealer had done LineX, I might have tried to work a deal on that.

I figure I'll keep an eye on whatever damage it causes, and pull it out and do the LineX at some point. I'd like to try something different, and any removed paint from the liner won't matter if I get the LineX later.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Do not use a drop in unless you like to see rust under your bed after a couple of years. The drop in liners will rub from the vibration and movement from the truck wearing out the paint then primer and then bare metal which will slowly be replaced by rust. You can always do both! :D
I had a drop-in for 9 years and no rust.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I think it all depends on what you want to protect your bed against. If you want to just protect against scratches and scuffs, go with the spray-in. But if you need protection against that, and some heavier abuse, then I'd recommend the drop-in.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I got Line-x using this site to research it and I'm very happy with it.

IMO The drop-in liners look clumsy and dorky, like a rubber bra on a VW, the spray-in liners look tough and rugged and highlight the contours of the bed. So...If you want to look like a dork and never get laid in your bed get a drop-in, if you wanna look cool and make many sexytime in the bed get the Line-x, worked for me...:tu:

·
Registered
42 Posts
I think it all depends on what you want to protect your bed against. If you want to just protect against scratches and scuffs, go with the spray-in. But if you need protection against that, and some heavier abuse, then I'd recommend the drop-in.

I totally agree with you. I have had both. I must say the spray in stuff is new trendy, but honestly, it does not protect against dents at all. I used to load my bed on my older taco with lumber and the front side of the bed looks like it was shot with a 12 guage. If you use the bed to haul heavy items that would cause denting, then, I would only use a drop in. Also, if you haul gravel, sand, and other material with fine particulates, the drop in is a much better protector, and easier to unload. I have only owned foreign trucks and I have never had any rust. Just minor wear under the bed liner from rubbing. By the time that occurred the front of the truck was ready to be painted from gravel chips. So what's the point of having a prestine bed if the rest of the truck looks like crap?

I guess you could paint line x on the front bumper!;)

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
Lots of pros and cons to both, but there are a couple of kinds of truck owners -- ones that really use their beds and ones that don't. Spray-in truck liners are great for actually protecting the truck, but don't expect miracles, they'll put dents in your truck a lot faster than most factory-installed drop-ins. Also, if you plan on loading anything raw (i.e. mulch, dirt, sand, gravel, bricks, etc.) you can forget about doing a spray-in -- it is difficult to unload with that stuff doesn't "slide". If you plan on moving any furniture, again, forget about the spray-in as the sandpaper-like qualities of the spray in will damage almost any surface without putting some kind of protection like a blanket underneath (which causes it to slide anyway). Same goes for appliances and things of that nature.
Personally, I would go with the drop-in until as many people claim, the bed rusts or gets damaged. After that, you can always put the spray in. By that time, you'll probably have been in your truck for 10 years or more and it won't be a big deal to do it. Doing both gives you a lot of the benefits of both, but realistically is not very practical from a price standpoint. I know of many truck owners with the factory drop-in that, even after a decade or more have no issues... ultimately it is your choice as to what suits your needs the best!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts